Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, pH said:

It seems to be this company:

https://www.railexplorers.net/explorer-options

If you click on ‘Explorers’ on that page, it shows the different vehicles available, and says that they can be coupled together. 

Of their locations, I’d guess it’s either Cooperstown or in the Catskills.

I thought it might be them as there are pictures of coupled vehicles in some of their promo material.

No idea of the location.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

4-SUB at  Manchester Victoria 1980 by Martyn Hilbert

Southern Region 4-SUB 4647 - Manchester Victoria.

Hi Monty,

Interesting that the brake handles of the wagons are pinned down, I wonder if the unit was un-braked and this was done before descending Miles Platting Bank ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Interesting that the brake handles of the wagons are pinned down, I wonder if the unit was un-braked and this was done before descending Miles Platting Bank ?

Gibbo.

It says they are about to gingerly decend Miles Platting on the way to scrapping at Horwich, although having stopped for a hot box on the unit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4647 was withdrawn in April 1976 - so where had it been hiding in the meantime ?  Unlike a number of its brethren it didn't give up it's Open Second Trailer for a reformed 4EPB unit though many were reformed at Horwich and, no doubt a good few would have got there via Manchester Victoria ......... they had, of course, been a familiar sight at 'the other' Victoria.

Yes, It's hauled as unbraked as it had air brakes when operational ( the wagons, of course, are vac-braked ) ......... even the Southern worked units to and from Eastleigh unbraked  - though they had Westinghouse fitted locos available.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

It's at the bottom of Miles Platting. That's Victoria East Junction box on the far left.

And some of the bobbies are copping the unit by the look of it.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Monty,

Gibbo.

I wonder if this is the same van https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanplanked/e3713620a  taken at Horwich and with a lot of writing in similar places, but apparently expected to work from Motherwell to Horwich. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Possibly not that rare, but interesting anyway...

Tolcarne Triangle 1963 by F A Haynes

Laira's grubby WR Diesel Hydraulic's No. D6309 pilots Warship No. D818 'Glory' around the Tolcarne Triangle with a Summer Holiday train from Newquay, Cornwall.

I thought at first that was the what became class 21 variant. That would have been rare!! What became 22s and warships would have got cosy like that relatively frequently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/07/2021 at 20:54, Wickham Green too said:

4647 was withdrawn in April 1976 - so where had it been hiding in the meantime ? 

Micheldever apparently. 

The unit arrived at Horwich on 12 Sep 1980. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Registration is in the name of the Secretary of State for Transport I believe.

The question must be asked ... Will  the Right Honourable Gentleman explain why my constituents' station name board doesn't even get the right crest ?

It's always the fault of whichever politicians are currently in office ! 

• Like 1

The BG is a barrier van; HST has fixed-head couplers, and no side buffers. The van allows the PC to be recovered from the rear by a standard loco should the need arise. This formation was insisted on for some years due to the unreliability of HST PCs in the later " Valenta" era.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, seraphim said:

The BG is a barrier van; HST has fixed-head couplers, and no side buffers. The van allows the PC to be recovered from the rear by a standard loco should the need arise. This formation was insisted on for some years due to the unreliability of HST PCs in the later " Valenta" era.

Yet the Power Car carries something a little simpler to permit recovery from the sharp end - presumably that's always been a more likely necessity !!?!

26 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yet the Power Car carries something a little simpler to permit recovery from the sharp end - presumably that's always been a more likely necessity !!?!

It would be if it were running as a set. At any rate, requiring a barrier vehicle 'in front' of the power car when running alone would make sighting signals (or anything else) very interesting indeed.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2021 at 14:23, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The first few seconds shew a BG being hauled by a single HST power car.

Gibbo.

At 39:10 is a Eurostar set being towed.

• Like 2