Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Lovely picture of a 6PUL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Class_6Pul), but the pressence of the Pulman is perfectly normal for these units.

Maybe it’s time to start a new thread called “I thought this picture showed something very unusual, but as a result of subsequent posts by more knowledgeable people, it turns out that it was actually very common”. Or something like that. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

15 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

..... the hotchpotch of coaches that made me post it. Is that second coach part of the standard formation as it looks to be totally different to the rest of the train? ...

The ( non-Pullman ) trailers were pretty well standard Maunsell style vehicles - though stretched onto a longer frame for electric use - whereas the motor coaches were semi integral vehicles. These were also open style rather than side-door and had drop windows so looked rather different - though both features appeared on other Maunsell stock too.

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Edinburgh Rambler Railtour 1970

TrSlid045f 8102 Gogar 23rd May 1970 Edinburgh Rambler Railtour

Hi Monty,

It looks like the first coach is one of those Triang Caley coaches that has been converted into one of the more usual 57' types. Very well done y the looks of it.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Well to be honest it was more the hotchpotch of coaches that made me post it. Is that second coach part of the standard formation as it looks to be totally different to the rest of the train? I wasn't even aware of these trains until I came across this picture. I've seen the 5-PUL before, but not this one.

The motor coaches were all steel and built by outside contractors.  The other vehicles were as others have said, essentially standard Southern Railway stuff, so they never matched and neither did the Pullman Car!

• Informative/Useful 2

59s only work heavy Mendip trains of many thousands of tonnes? A few modeller budgets friendly ones.

2011:

59205 6C41 Brassknocker

59205 'L. Keith McNair' drifts past Brassknocker with a lightweight 6C41 Newport ADJ - Westbury - formed of just two IOA Mussel wagons.

2020:

Three locos, one wagon!

59003 'Yeoman Highlander' waits time in Westbury Down Yard with 6O41 to Eastleigh. 66729 and 66754 were dead in tow after working a ballast train over the weekend and the heavyweight load comprised a sole OCA Bass wagon!

Both pics linked from my Flickr.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Would the Mk2 barrier coach have both buckeyes and buffers, which of course the HST stock doesnt have?

It's not even a dedicated barrier coach, just a normal mk2 FK.

As with most BR coaches, it has a dropable buckeye and retractable buffers.

Buckeye up and buffers retracted for coupling to other coaches, buckeye dropped and buffers extended (with a collar on the shank to stop them retracting) when coupled to a loco.

As you say, some sort of barrier coach is needed as the HST buckeyes are fixed and there are no buffers, so no way for the loco to couple to them.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Note these are HST trailers not LHS MK3s

Stockport 47033 1987 by KDH Archive

87 060 020787 Stockport 47033

Interesting because it is a cross country set, and most other photos that I've seen would utilise a GWML set with the Generator Van at the far end. Guessing it has been assembled at Laira, due to the NSE Mk2 at the near end.  Although the generator van is probably the oldest vehicle in that train, it might actually be the only one still extant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefer said:

It's not even a dedicated barrier coach, just a normal mk2 FK.

As with most BR coaches, it has a dropable buckeye and retractable buffers.

Buckeye up and buffers retracted for coupling to other coaches, buckeye dropped and buffers extended (with a collar on the shank to stop them retracting) when coupled to a loco.

As you say, some sort of barrier coach is needed as the HST buckeyes are fixed and there are no buffers, so no way for the loco to couple to them.

Would, for example, a Cl91 be able to couple to the HST Mk3s, as although they have buffers, they also have buckeyes and rubbing plates?

(Pic linked to Flikr)

91 018 from the blunt end. Bounds Green Depot.

7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yep !

351_25.jpg.877ccecda513885f2717bc41c6f8999d.jpg

Kings Cross : 18/3/89

I thought HST Mk3s did not have buffers, which this coach does. Unless you are showing that the buckeye coupling is in use, but the whole area is too dark for me to see whether that is the case or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Buffer fitted TGS (from when the 91+mk3+DVT power car sets were formed. Don't know how many TGS were so treated) but the buffers are retracted (note the collar stowed on its bracket under the buffer), so must be using the buckeye

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

But is close enough good enough ?  -  denying the good folk of Tayside the option of First Class accommodation !

A second class compartment was better than the first class in any of today’s trains, and could even provide a form of sleeping accommodation at a push. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

But is close enough good enough ?  -  denying the good folk of Tayside the option of First Class accommodation !

The good folk of Tayside are far too canny to throw away money on frivolities like first class tickets.  Mark 1 compartment stock was very comfortable - provided the heating was working.  Perth is beautiful on a sunny summer's day as is the surrounding countryside but you can get awfy cauld waiting for a late running train on a dreich December day

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1