Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

How many people have Mallard and Flying Scotsman on their layout running (at the same time). Something of an excess of world-famous locomotives (indeed the top 2 in terms of 'modern' steam and pop fame).

I always thought my layout looked a bit rediculous in this regard.

However I have just found two pictures from the 1986 Shakespeare Express season. I have long known 4468 and 4472 worked alternate services during 1986 SE season, and there are pictures of a lineup of 4472, 4468 and 4498 together in Marylebone, but never realised the two RAN in tandem:

Being pedantic, surely the "Shakespeare Express" runs from Birmingham to Stratford, courtesy of Vintage Trains?

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hadn't realised the North South divide had shifted to between Morecambe and Liverpool/Manchester !!?!

A friend of mine in Liverpool hated all southerners. Unfortunately, he regarded Warrington as the deep south!

• Funny 3

On 04/08/2021 at 18:06, talisman56 said:

One evening four of us bagged the second class compartment in a 4CIG on a late Victoria-Brighton/Ore service which split at Haywards Heath. The usual thing was to be woken up by the 60' track on the Ouse Valley viaduct ready to fall out of the train at the Heath and make our way home. One evening we didn't and were woken up by the carriage cleaners in Ore sidings. We later discovered that CWR had been laid on the viaduct between this trip and the previous similar one...

It was somewhat amusing to see the reaction of certain regular travellers who considered the compartment was designed personally for their sole use. I remember on a coastal trip from Brighton, probably to Eastbourne or Hastings many years ago, a person seemed completely put out when he opened the outside carriage door to discover me, SWMBO and three lively children occupying most of the seats. 

He looked at us with a stare of disdain, which is understandable after having stood at the precise point on the platform where he knew the carriage door would stop. To give him credit, he did sit it out in the corner for a while, but was probably relieved to get out at his destination. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Depends on the relative quantities.

Anyway horses aren't the real offenders there - it's flatulent beef cattle overfed on grass.

It is a common misconception that all cattle methane is produced by farting cows, but the truth is that the majority is exhaled in their breath as a result of the fermentation process. 

I'm not sure how a cow can be described as overfed. Does anyone have data on the amounts of grass that a cow should eat each day? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

It is a common misconception that all cattle methane is produced by farting cows, but the truth is that the majority is exhaled in their breath as a result of the fermentation process. 

I'm not sure how a cow can be described as overfed. Does anyone have data on the amounts of grass that a cow should eat each day? 

I don't have any data for cows. But knowing quite a few people with horses and sheep, the simple answer is that it varies - a lot. Depending on the weather, the nutritional value of grass differs greatly. So the animals may need more of it or, better, supplementary feedstuffs in a poor year.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2021 at 17:52, Compound2632 said:

Depends on the relative quantities.

Anyway horses aren't the real offenders there - it's flatulent beef cattle overfed on grass.

And they are not that good at pulling trains either.

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

They can even be worked in multiple:

Dl7oa0_VsAAhjQR.jpg-large.jpg

Gives a different meaning to the phrase describing the arrangement of multiple locomotives as ‘elephant style’.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, pH said:

Gives a different meaning to the phrase describing the arrangement of multiple locomotives as ‘elephant style’.

Imagine an alternative history, in which James Watt used elephants instead of pit horses in his experiments to determine power.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Imagine an alternative history, in which James Watt used elephants instead of pit horses in his experiments to determine power.

Well, yes - but there were very few elephants roaming the streets of Glasgow for him to use in measurements.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

A pair of Oxen in yoke are pretty good.

At least the power of a heavy horse.

Not the experience of the mine owner William Hedley at Wylam the oxen's unsuitability ultimately leading to the trial of steam traction - the rest is history.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

If the wagon's too heavy for a horse to handle, try something a little bigger...

an-80yearold-indian-elephant-is-used-to-

They can even be worked in multiple:

Dl7oa0_VsAAhjQR.jpg-large.jpg

I wonder what the typical tractive effort of an Indian Elephant is?

How does it compare to an African Elephant?:jester:

• Funny 4