Prototype for everything corner.

3 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

"So we've got our all new, shiny EMU to go to Glasgow. What have we got to pull it?"

Oubeck 1967 by KDH Archive

67 232 140767 Oubeck 92227

Interesting. I had imagined they were all delivered new in electric blue without the yellow ends. Is this a new one of a later batch, or an overhauled/modified unit turned out in rail blue? Forgive my ignorance!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Interesting. I had imagined they were all delivered new in electric blue without the yellow ends. Is this a new one of a later batch, or an overhauled/modified unit turned out in rail blue? Forgive my ignorance!

That's a class 311, later built derivative of class 303.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

The 303s were built by Pressed Steel in Linwood around 1960 so were in Caledonian Blue, the 311s were built by Cravens in 1967, so were in rail blue from new

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

In earlier days

https://zenfolio.page.link/h47o3

303 on delivery from pressed steel.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, duncan said:

Looks to have a wrap round windscreen, I thought the 303s had been rebuilt with flat windscreens before the 311s would be built ?  Never saw them until the 70s, as we lived in deepest rural Ayrshire till then.

According to Wiki, the 311s curved windscreens from new weren't replaced with flat until the '70s

I assume the brake van had a buckeye at one end because that's what the 311s have.

How do you brake the ensemble? (9F - vacuum, class 311 - Air)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

According to Wiki, the 311s curved windscreens from new weren't replaced with flat until the '70s

I assume the brake van had a buckeye at one end because that's what the 311s have.

Hi Kieth,

I would say if it only a three car set it is no less of a trouble than unfitted goods, also that there is a brake van at the head and likely one at the other end.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Kieth,

I would say if it only a three car set it is no less of a trouble than unfitted goods, also that there is a brake van at the head and likely one at the other end.

Gibbo.

Back in the 50s/early 60s, I used to see full sets of tube stock being delivered down the GW from Met-Cam(?), through Tyseley.

Normally something like a Grange on front and a barrier vehicle (large van) front & rear

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

The Bishop of Welchester was passing by and there was a traction engine involved…………

Keith

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Again forgetting the operating of railways in the past. 

Running trains unfitted was a normal thing and moves of coaching stock and multiple units was no exception!

Just because stock is fitted it doesn’t mean it has to be used!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Again forgetting the operating of railways in the past. 

Running trains unfitted was a normal thing and moves of coaching stock and multiple units was no exception!

Just because stock is fitted it doesn’t mean it has to be used!

Happened into the 1980s with the 317/507/508s, although the brake vans used as match vehicles had tightlock couplers at one end. Still unfitted though.

And there were trains of LU Tube stock going all the way to Rosyth in Fife for refurb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DY444 said:

Yes - with bogie tank wagons as brake force runners.

Similar arrangements have been used for the plethora of units that have arrived from various manufacturers in Continental Europe. Amongst the vehicles I've seen have been:-

Five or six Cargowaggon Flats, one or two ex-VTG vans [ unit/s being transferred] then repeat formation, in reverse order; The ex-VTG vans nearest the vehicles having adaptor couplings.

Similar formation with Eurotwin twin container flats. The unit being transferred is sandwiched between two halves of a Eurotwin, fitted with adaptor couplings. The other Eurotwins carry containers to increase brake force. 

The only time I've seen any transfers without adaptors have used the Railway Operation Group's 37, which carry their own adaptor couplings, air and electric power.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2021 at 20:32, montyburns56 said:

Midgeholme 1953

22 Vent fan Midgeholme 1953 (Fleetwood Shawe)023

Hate to disappoint people here but since I could not see any piping around the cowling, it is not a jet engine but a tunnel ventilating fan - here is a web page with a picture showing two similar looking units installed in a tunnel. https://news.panasonic.com/global/stories/2020/77148.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1