Prototype for everything corner.

On 24/08/2021 at 09:38, Titan said:

I thought you were referring to normal and possibly regular operation.  There are different rules for emergencies or "clearing the line"  The cripple would be moved at a slow pace along with the rest of the train with a wheel skate if required, until it can be shunted out of the way. Once the cripple has made it clear of the line, I would expect any further travel required to a repair facility would be with a brake van if the brakes are inoperable, and probably overnight so the restricted speed causes minimum disruption to other traffic.

Or the wagon could just be abandoned like the Shenfield Shark...

If a fitted vehicle at the rearmost position has a failure on open road, and the vehicle brakes have to be isolated, with the Signallers authority, you can clear the line at  low speed and  not more  than 5 mph over points   but the line must be level or falling gradients, no uphill  gradients in case of a detachment. If available, also a rider in the defective vehicle  who can apply the vehicle parking brake if there is a detachment. Of course it is never simple, the rule varies with the type of coupling such as bar coupled formations which are less breakable than  3-link

Edited by Pandora
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

This isn't a shunting move, this was tail traffic from Machynlleth according to the caption. 

Aberystwyth 1985 by Steven Clements 

51196 51197 2 241085 51196 51197 1 241085

Apparently it wasn't a one off as there was a loco ban on the line (because of Barmouth Bridge I'm guessing?)

54043 T234 xx0784

Don't think it's tail traffic as that was vehicles added to the rear of a DMU in passenger service mote the DMU being used as a locomotive 

• Informative/Useful 2

Barmouth Bridge isn’t on the way to Aberystwyth. 

I’m guessing the weltrol/crocodile was there to pick up a VofR loco for overhaul, but why behind a DMU? Class 37s were still in use on oil trains and occasional passenger trains to Aberystwyth at this time. Intriguing... 

DMUs and particularly DPUs did haul ballast trains over the Cambrian Coast across Barmouth Bridge though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Barmouth Bridge isn’t on the way to Aberystwyth. 

I’m guessing the weltrol/crocodile was there to pick up a VofR loco for overhaul, but why behind a DMU? Class 37s were still in use on oil trains and occasional passenger trains to Aberystwyth at this time. Intriguing... 

DMUs and particularly DPUs did haul ballast trains over the Cambrian Coast across Barmouth Bridge though. 

Yeah, the picture comments do mention that the Weltrol was to carry a VoR engine. If only someone had photographed that being pulled by a DMU!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Erm ............. looks to me like it's a whole train of equipment that's not yet been scrapped !

Yes I noticed that grammar too lol.

it actually looks more like a movement of “for restoration” museum equipment. Some of that stuff is way beyond what would normally languish in scrap lines age-wise…

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Yes I noticed that grammar too lol.

it actually looks more like a movement of “for restoration” museum equipment. Some of that stuff is way beyond what would normally languish in scrap lines age-wise…

The stuff looks in better nick than some of the wrecks that have been rebuilt in the UK.

The E8-A diesel unit looks mostly complete.

Here in better days:

image.png.860365d23e2f441e637f75403c6a5bde.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably the latest batch of stuff de-acquisitioned by the NRM  -  'cos they can't be bothered looking after them properly.

To be fair to the (N)RM with the whole of the Science Museum group’s budgets slashed across the board what are they supposed to use for money to keep duplicates in the collection housed etc.? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, john new said:

To be fair to the (N)RM with the whole of the Science Museum group’s budgets slashed across the board what are they supposed to use for money to keep duplicates in the collection housed etc.? 

Yes, they're short of dosh - and no doubt more so now the Government has a pandemic to pay for - but their definition of a 'duplicate' can be more than a little odd. Which outside cylinder 4-4-0 did the T3 'duplicate' for instance ? ........ or this wreck that they left in the open at York for donkey's years : - http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1935

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes, they're short of dosh - and no doubt more so now the Government has a pandemic to pay for - but their definition of a 'duplicate' can be more than a little odd. Which outside cylinder 4-4-0 did the T3 'duplicate' for instance ? ........ or this wreck that they left in the open at York for donkey's years : - http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1935

I was not attempting to defend every NRM decision, merely stating it is a little harsh to blame them for an issue they can’t control, namely not having enough funding to do everything needed. That blame rests with central government but when it comes to funding choices what I would support or cancel will be very different to the perspective of others, for example why did we need the new aircraft carriers when there is so much funding needed for  things like public toilets, health care, libraries, child care etc, etc, that matter now to us all rather than in some vague idea of a future threat. A political choice, my views were the minority one when Westminster made the decisions.

Edited by john new
Grammar correction
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

What’s the interesting DMU arrangement coupled to the inspection saloon there then? Does anyone know?

In the original caption.

"Officer's Saloon DM45029 is shunted clear of the Main Line at Aberystwyth by 2-Car Parcels Unit formed of Class 116 DMBS 53072 and Class 120 DMBC 51785.

"Due to a ban on locomotives working along the Cambrian Coast, special workings like this were carried out by Class 128 DPUs or converted Parcel Units."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3