Prototype for everything corner.

A possible date can be narrowed down a bit. It was renumbered 24124 in April 1974 at Inverness and reallocated to Haymarket in November 1975.

And here's a photo of another double headed mixed at Kyle with just one coach in September 1975, so possibly around the same time.

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/North/UK0713.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Plating over seems to have started by early 1970 but without a dedicated programme for doing so.

In Brushveteran's Flickr set, there are only 2 locos done:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/sets/72157627812212373/

Note as well that although it seems to have started with BFYE locos, at first, the yellow does not extend round to include the cab windows & top of the door.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Why would this be? Presumably there was some sort of advantage gained if it was done to all of them.

Was it something to do with the windows getting smashed by drivers manually catching tablets (through the window in front). Only a vague recollection, I might be completely wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Obviously the two wagons are a trial for crush loading in rush hour !

I believe they were the train for those people who had saved Persil coupons and traded them for free tickets - Kings Cross to Aberdeen and return. 

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Plated droplights seem to be a very Highland thing - maybe specifically Inverness - and I suspect it may be to prevent snow ingress (?). 

126_22.jpg.325c9e588c0e8657d797f9b61e0c1793.jpg

13.40 Aberdeen to Inverness, 27/3/85

Thats boarded up due to a smashed cab door window and NIS at depot.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 20:40, rab said:

That could also be an entry for the

"When the real thing looks like a model" thread

I forwarded this photo to a couple of friends and it’s got us arranging a meet up in a pub to consider having a bash at a highland layout as an upcoming future project.

You need to take a long hard look at yourself @montyburns56

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I forwarded this photo to a couple of friends and it’s got us arranging a meet up in a pub to consider having a bash at a highland layout as an upcoming future project.

Good decision.

Dapol 21/29, Bachmann 24/1 and 25, Heljan 26/27, pretty much everyone 37. All the haulage ingredients are there. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 45125 said:

Thats boarded up due to a smashed cab door window and NIS at depot.

Whoever smashed it smashed at least two of the other droplights at the same time 'cos they were boarded up too : -  126_17.jpg.82727b87c51db20b36c1e4d31f6170bd.jpg126_23.jpg.fc0b792f861c3128ca1b1774d064c464.jpg( the fourth corner's not in my photos ) .............. if I was going round smashing windows I'd have gone for the quarterlights and windscreens too !

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Here's a real 'prototype for everything'!

Have you accidentally assembled your wheelsets with the flanges on the outside? Well don't fret, just model the products of C W Hunt:

https://americanindustrialmining.com/c.w.-hunt-locomotives-and-industrial-railways

The steam locomotive seems to be an odd mix of a single and double Fairlie, or should it be described as a Meyer?

There were actually some of these systems in the UK, at various industrial premises.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, keefer said:

The track layouts/components shown remind me of LEGO, esp. with those tight, right-angled turns!

The curving concept would only work for one curve radius (determined by the track gauge and the relationship between the wheel diameter and flange height).

But in the 'Setrack' scenario for a narrow-gauge industrial line, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

More of an issue might be high contact stresses when flange-tip running, so it wouldn't be suitable for heavy axleloads unless the flanges were made rather thick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Here's a real 'prototype for everything'!

Have you accidentally assembled your wheelsets with the flanges on the outside? Well don't fret, just model the products of C W Hunt:

https://americanindustrialmining.com/c.w.-hunt-locomotives-and-industrial-railways

The steam locomotive seems to be an odd mix of a single and double Fairlie, or should it be described as a Meyer?

There were actually some of these systems in the UK, at various industrial premises.

The sectional track idea similar to John Curr’s 18th century system. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Curr 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Hey, it's not as if I'm shilling on behalf of model railway manufacturers. Now you'll have to excuse me as I've just had a large delivery of red and blue boxes.

• Funny 3