Prototype for everything corner.

1 minute ago, Western Aviator said:

These Paignton trains (a pair of 31s and a WCML rake) were a regular feature on Summer Saturdays in the late 1980s. At one time I believe three such trains could be seen in one day. Often, one of the Euston-Birmingham/Wolverhampton rakes of mainly Mk2 stock was used but frequently spare Pullman rakes (like the one in Brian’s picture above) were used too.

The Manchester Pullman rake, complete with full kitchen car (Mk1 RKB) was certainly booked to work a service to/from Paignton on simmer Sats.

Presumably the RKB was used only to provide a light buffet service, I doubt full Pullman-style refreshments were on offer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Western Aviator said:

These Paignton trains (a pair of 31s and a WCML rake) were a regular feature on Summer Saturdays in the late 1980s. At one time I believe three such trains could be seen in one day. Often, one of the Euston-Birmingham/Wolverhampton rakes of mainly Mk2 stock was used but frequently spare Pullman rakes (like the one in Brian’s picture above) were used too.

Yes they were a great way of ticking off the 31/4s for haulage back then. I remember a few times being in one of the front vestibules of those sets as they very noisily and very slowly lifted the train up the bank out of Paignton.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

The ped must have been hard pushed to supply enough ETH for that train!

That combination on paper is actually better than a 47 2x1470hp vs 2580hp and 31s and 47s both have an ETH index of 66. When there  are two locos only one supplies ETH in this case just the rear one as its the only one fitted

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

That combination on paper is actually better than a 47 2x1470hp vs 2580hp and 31s and 47s both have an ETH index of 66. When there  are two locos only one supplies ETH in this case just the rear one as its the only one fitted

Though the almost double weight of two 31/4s (2×113t) against a single 47/4 (117t) wouldn't be ideal. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, hexagon789 said:

Though the almost double weight of two 31/4s (2×113t) against a single 47/4 (117t) wouldn't be ideal. 

I've worked trains with pairs of 31s and never had issues with them , I quite like them 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've worked trains with pairs of 31s and never had issues with them , I quite like them 

Careful, people will get the wrong idea...

Next you'll be saying that they can pull the skin off a rice pudding!

Andy G ;-)

• Funny 5

11 minutes ago, russ p said:

But surely having nearly double the weight for only slightly more nominal traction power than a single 47 would produce a significant performance deficit?

You're shifting an extra 110 tonnes of motive power weight for only 260 extra horsepower at the rail, ignoring any ETH load.

Edited by hexagon789

4 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

But surely having nearly double the weight for only slightly more nominally traction power than a single 47 would produce a significant performance deficit?

Your shifting an extra 110 tonnes of motive power weight for only 260 extra horsepower at the rail, ignoring any ETH load.

Yes and the ETH load on a 31/4 is crippling I understand. Isn’t it impossible to divert the power?

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

Yes and the ETH load on a 31/4 is crippling I understand. Isn’t it impossible to divert the power?

Wasn't that only on the earliest conversions due to the way the ETH power was provided? Later 31/4s being more conventional in that respect?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, uax6 said:

If it was a summer working the ETH wouldn't have been in use. Do the carriage lights come from the ETH supply?

Andy G

Aircon Andy 

I remember working a couple of charters on the whitby branch with single 31s and turning the ETH off going up Nunthorpe bank to get more traction power 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

What livery is that first 37 in? I’ve never seen that before. It’s quite nice. 

Hi Tom,

The livery of 37 197 is that of Riley & Son's (E) Ltd of Bury, it was dreamt up by an employee, Dave Green, who worked on the locomotive's overhaul before being it put out for spot hire. As far as I know the livery was based on a corporation bus livery from somewhere in Yorkshire.

The locomotive was eventually sold to DRS in 2004 and since scraped in 2012.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

But surely having nearly double the weight for only slightly more nominal traction power than a single 47 would produce a significant performance deficit?

You're shifting an extra 110 tonnes of motive power weight for only 260 extra horsepower at the rail, ignoring any ETH load.

One loco to heat the train, one loco to pull it.

They can't do both.....:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One loco to heat the train, one loco to pull it.

They can't do both.....:jester:

Going all Tolkien on us

One loco to pull them all, one loco to heat them, One loco to bank them all, and in the darkness shunt them; In the Land of Mossend where the shadows lie

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

18 hours ago, russ p said:

Aircon Andy 

I remember working a couple of charters on the whitby branch with single 31s and turning the ETH off going up Nunthorpe bank to get more traction power 

I always thought that you couldn’t recover the ETH as engine horsepower on the 31s hence they were underpowered?

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I think people are a bit harsh on the 31's, they are just type 2s used for type 3 work, just imagine how it would be if they tried it with any other type 2!

It’s a fair point. I think being class “31” rather than a 20-something makes people subconsciously assume more horsepower too! 11 type 2s but only 9 available 2x TOPS classes meant something had to give! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

It’s a fair point. I think being class “31” rather than a 20-something makes people subconsciously assume more horsepower too! 11 type 2s but only 9 available 2x TOPS classes meant something had to give! 

Which shows up the limits of the TOPS system.

There are of course the "new" Class 21s used around Eurotunnel and based on HP (1500 or 2100) are type 3s or type 4s.