Prototype for everything corner.

20 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

That Wikipedia entry is the basis of my thinking so yes that does suggest that Wikipedia is inaccurate. Having tried previously though I wouldn’t waste valuable time attempting to correct it as there is a hardcore of reactionaries on there who’ll constantly change it back again! 

Which is why, when I was teaching, I always told students not to cite Wikipedia as that part would have a red pen drawn across it and disregarded, if not by me then by the external moderator.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There is the question of 31400, though.

31401-31424 were converted in the early 70s, about a decade before 31425-31469 were converted. When 31401 was withdrawn following collision damage in 1988, its electrical equipment was used to convert 31161. Instead of being given the next available 31/4 number (which would have been 31470), it was numbered 31400 instead, apparently to keep similarly-fitted 31/4s in a contiguous number sequence.

31400 is certainly an odd number to give the loco (were any other 00 numbers used for classes or sub-classes?). If all the 31/4s were substantially the same, then why do it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Not necessarily, TOPS numbers apply to coaches and wagons, so they may be (or were) coaches / wagons allocated numbers in the 32xxx, 34xxx, 36xxx or 49xxx ranges.

Simon

There were duplicate number series used for locos and coaches and DMUs.

I think passenger stock wasn't initially covered by TOPS, but when they were, mass renumbering took place, such as 50xxx DMus to 53xxx, 56xxx to 54xxx. Coaches from 25xxx/26xxx to 18xxx/19xxx etc

i.e. The Class 24/25/26 numbers were allocated long after the many then still extant 24/25/26xxx Mk1s had been built.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

There is the question of 31400, though.

31401-31424 were converted in the early 70s, about a decade before 31425-31469 were converted. When 31401 was withdrawn following collision damage in 1988, its electrical equipment was used to convert 31161. Instead of being given the next available 31/4 number (which would have been 31470), it was numbered 31400 instead, apparently to keep similarly-fitted 31/4s in a contiguous number sequence.

31400 is certainly an odd number to give the loco (were any other 00 numbers used for classes or sub-classes?). If all the 31/4s were substantially the same, then why do it?

Whatever the reason it wasn't related to the basic source of the train supply power because it came from a Brush alternator on all of them.

Edited by DY444

I know a few people have commented that preserved railways shouldn't be included on this thread, but what the hell; the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway does, as a rule, try to portray a 'realistic' branch line, as far as they can, with medium-sized locomotives on matching rakes of maroon mk.1 carriages.  But they tend to let their hair down on Gala weekends, particularly this year :)

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR-GALA_INGROW_957_26007_12_09.21_01.JPG.2b9bef47ddb7154d624e6eed2148e699.JPG

L&Y no.957, in fictional 'Green Dragon' livery (blimey, but it really is day-glow in real life!) with a visiting Railfreight- red stripe 26007...

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR-GALA_INGROW_BLS-James_D32-Huskisson_10_09.21_01.JPG.f947306fd0064c2c8fb309f83395c923.JPG

...ex-Mersey Docks and Harbour Board Hunslet "Huskisson", with the ex-Bilston Steelworks "James" (working its first ever revenue-earning passenger services) on Metropolitan Railways carriages (the first one in Railway Children livery)...

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR-GALA_INGROW_26007_12_09.21_03.JPG.4af8f0bbf9d2e28dedf28e0a434ac86d.JPG

...and finally, 26007 again, propelling the vintage carriages ECS from Ingrow to Keighley.

Apologies for flooding the thread with yet more preserved railways shenanigans, but I thought it's the sort of variety a lot of people would enjoy running on their own layouts if given the chance :)

• Like 10

8 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

This photograph of Mallaig came up on Facebook,

Couple of K1s - pretty normal for thta era, but the coach on the left is interestng, I wasn't aware that push-pull autotrailers ever worked the west highland apart from the Craigendoran to Arrocher shuttle and never as far as Mallaig.

It's not a p&p trailer. It looks more like an ex NBR inspection coach. 

• RMweb Gold

Graffiti on Hertford viaduct, including the blue/dripping one below one of the drainpipes

IMGP3621.JPG

IMGP3622.JPG

IMGP3623.JPG

IMGP3626.JPG

IMGP3610.JPG

The blue wet graffiti on the left, cat/mushroom and cucumber/cactus thingies on the right:

IMGP3612.JPG.50a0a590959e49f414d6252a4c9ab5eb.JPG

Edited by ruggedpeak

If we're doing unusual viaduct graffiti, I present the Twemlow viaduct (my photo). My sister dragged us there while we were on holiday. This was an event. Why was my sister, who often loudly proclaims that 'trains are for babies' (unless she's being allowed to drive one, but apparently that's different) dragging us out to see a Victorian rail bridge. Had she finally been converted?

The answer lies to the left of the black cow, on the first pier in shot. All four sides are covered in graffiti as high up as people can reach. What have so many people written there? Was there some great tragedy associated with this bridge, with people coming from around the world to pay their respects?

No, they've been leaving fanmail for Harry Styles. Obviously. Why wouldn't you?

image.png.a0f111cb1ea2ba236886f2c327498c86.png

On 27/09/2021 at 23:28, Merfyn Jones said:

Also B R had a number of Scammell Scarab units with trailers based in Dublin to deliver the containers.  Later they had some larger units for the Freightliner boxes.

I remember reading some official BR minutes at the NRM about how many containers were 'lost' in Ireland and what could be done to get them returned more readily.

Paul

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the Metrovick GT reminds me to ask:

Why were BR seemingly reluctant to use electric marker lights?

MI classes had them as well as some late kettles but very often oil lamps are being used instead.

• Agree 1