Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

At first glance I thought this unusual wagon load seen at Buckfastleigh was some kind of mold...

A rather fiddly and time-consuming project for the modeller of the preservation scene.

20211026_110100.jpg

What are they for?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

Made a nicely lined tunnel, then realised it is smaller than the tunnel portal you were planning to use? Simply change your layout to an Italian one.

51605799664_d305f63d44_z.jpg

ALe883 002 by maurizio messa, on Flickr

Is that a tunnel that was originally double track but has been re-lined?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

At first glance I thought this unusual wagon load seen at Buckfastleigh was some kind of mold...

A rather fiddly and time-consuming project for the modeller of the preservation scene.

20211026_110100.jpg

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They ought to space them out a bit on more wagons if they want to run that with a buffet car.

6 hours ago, Welly said:

What are they for?

6 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Picnic tables (bulk order)

Naw, they're reconstructing the Dart River bridge as a Brunel timber viaduct!

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Picnic tables (bulk order)

Ah - now I can see that! One of those illusions that you can't see until you are told what it is then you can never unsee it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2021 at 11:26, Flittersnoop said:

20211026_110100.jpg

Bulk purchase of lighting wood:

Ad stated, buyer to dismantle. :)

On 31/10/2021 at 13:26, railsquid said:

Made a nicely lined tunnel, then realised it is smaller than the tunnel portal you were planning to use? Simply change your layout to an Italian one. .....

Probably tunnelled by the same cowboys who built the Hastings line and used one ring of brickwork instead of the four specified ......... you can see how it's been rectified.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably tunnelled by the same cowboys who built the Hastings line and used one ring of brickwork instead of the four specified ......... you can see how it's been rectified.

There would never have been a Schools class of locomotives without that though

BEN-BUCKI_LLANGOLLEN_13265_Shuttles_30_10.21_09.JPG.9aadbe3f2e7e414abcbc4a995ab30e9d.JPG

Reminds me of running sessions on my childhood 00 layout, where it would be a case of get all the models out; if it worked, on the layout it went, and damn the prototype accuracy :)

Llangollen last weekend, they were trying out a shuttle service between Llangollen and Berwyn that might make it into the timetable next year.  Diesel shunter, converted open wagon (ex-Thomas the Tank Engine days), LNER/Derwent Valley Light Railway pigeon brake, and a GWR Toad.  Great fun!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Ben B said:

Reminds me of running sessions on my childhood 00 layout, where it would be a case of get all the models out; if it worked, on the layout it went, and damn the prototype accuracy :)

I still operate like that now, most of the time!! :locomotive:  :jester:

• Like 6

I've only watched little of this (pausing to post, so there might be other rarities), but I thought the second clip was a rare sight to behold. Most service trains on the North-Wales line were DMUs or a 37 on five/six mk1/2 coaches from/to Manchester or HSTs from/to Euston, but even for (what I imagine to be) an excursion I would imagine double-headed class 60s would be rare especially on just eight coaches. Apologies if someone has already posted this or something else from the video.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 06:23, DK123GWR said:

Toton

If you post the very long link, it embeds automatically. Then we can see the photo immediately, or click on the photo to follow the link and see the original caption.

I thought this was an example of the new East Midland Train units on an off-peak service...

Edited by JN
  • Like 2

The first clip at Barnetby shows three 37s hauling a single Cargowagon. There's no explaining information, so it could be a very short and overpowered enterprise/trip working or just an odd movement because its three out-of-place locomotives (from the roster due to a loco failure) taking an out-of-place wagon (for a similar reason to the locomotives) from Immingham to Thornaby/Tees Yard or Tinsley or some other similar location. I'm speculating as to the reason. Looking at the posts in this thread it would seem that single locos hauling single wagons is more common than might have been otherwise thought (unless it just seems like that because of focus/selection bias).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JN said:

The first clip at Barnetby shows three 37s hauling a single Cargowagon. There's no explaining information, so it could be a very short and overpowered enterprise/trip working or just an odd movement because its three out-of-place locomotives (from the roster due to a loco failure) taking an out-of-place wagon (for a similar reason to the locomotives) from Immingham to Thornaby/Tees Yard or Tinsley or some other similar location. I'm speculating as to the reason. Looking at the posts in this thread it would seem that single locos hauling single wagons is more common than might have been otherwise thought (unless it just seems like that because of focus/selection bias).

I would assume just a positioning move with two of the 37s being a pair that may have  left their iron ore tipplers at Scunthorpe, for example (if they are all Metals Sector locos), and were heading back to Immingham depot (they are going East).  Barnetby in that era was fun and saw a lot of light engine movements to and from Immingham to Scunthorpe/Frodingham and potentially further afield depending on the sector (Tinsley etc) the locos were allocated to.  Several locos might be strung together particularly before and after weekend engineering work.

1991 also coincides with the end of Speedlink, the wagonload freight service. That meant that some services that had been used to move odd wagons around as a combined train disappeared. That left the other freight sectors with some issues for a while. Thus some loco depots that might have received their fuel via a Railfreight Distribution Speedlink service would post-Speedlink have received it as a Railfreight Petroleum worked single wagonload (or a couple of tanks etc) before the steady shift to using road tankers. Thus the single TTA tank being pulled by the Class 31 could have been a cripple, one that had been fixed or indeed an empty tank from  depot returning to a Humber refinery.  I can't remember what metal flow the Ferrywagon like the one behind the 37s were used on at the time, so whether it is just a repaired wagon or one in traffic I couldn't be sure.

Single wagon trains are disproportionately represented in this thread because it catalogues the unusual, but at somewhere as busy as Barnetby in that period from memory you would still expect to see a single wagon train at least ever other visit (if you spent a few hours there each time).

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I would assume just a positioning move with two of the 37s being a pair that may have  left their iron ore tipplers at Scunthorpe, for example (if they are all Metals Sector locos), and were heading back to Immingham depot (they are going East).  Barnetby in that era was fun and saw a lot of light engine movements to and from Immingham to Scunthorpe/Frodingham and potentially further afield depending on the sector (Tinsley etc) the locos were allocated to.  Several locos might be strung together particularly before and after weekend engineering work.

1991 also coincides with the end of Speedlink, the wagonload freight service. That meant that some services that had been used to move odd wagons around as a combined train disappeared. That left the other freight sectors with some issues for a while. Thus some loco depots that might have received their fuel via a Railfreight Distribution Speedlink service would post-Speedlink have received it as a Railfreight Petroleum worked single wagonload (or a couple of tanks etc) before the steady shift to using road tankers. Thus the single TTA tank being pulled by the Class 31 could have been a cripple, one that had been fixed or indeed an empty tank from  depot returning to a Humber refinery.  I can't remember what metal flow the Ferrywagon like the one behind the 37s were used on at the time, so whether it is just a repaired wagon or one in traffic I couldn't be sure.

Single wagon trains are disproportionately represented in this thread because it catalogues the unusual, but at somewhere as busy as Barnetby in that period from memory you would still expect to see a single wagon train at least ever other visit (if you spent a few hours there each time).

Simon

Yeah, I did think after I posted back to a video I saw about 37s being coupled together at Thornaby to reduce faffing about for another loco should one loco fail when one loco fails on a train that needed double-heading...

I'm doing research for a Teesside layout during the early 1990s, so I wanted to see if there was any extra footage of Sunderland-Lindsey (and Lindsey-Sunderland) oil trains which ran through my (admittedly very flat) triangle of Darlington, Stockton and Middlesborough. I came across that the South Yorkshire/Lincolnshire video during that process and thought that it might qualify for the thread. I said what I said to show I'm possibly making a mistake, but also not just posting erroneous things like cow pictures (as amusing as they are)... My post quoting the picture of the 20 and a wagon with the railway workers in it was meant to be a (admittedly cheesy) joke.

Anyway, I didn't realise the three 37s were going east (probably the first clue that I was probably wrong).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

That's one of the worst edited videos I've ever seen. Leigh Creek isn't anywhere near the largest and half the shots in the supposed #1 segment were in a different state.

This is the (Guinness certified) longest and heaviest train in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LsuNWjRaAo

"In #2 the narrator says that the Indian government ran an experiment in combining four trains into one train."