Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Arpster said:

This looks like a colourised black and white photo where only the coaches and the buffer beam have been done!

Could be, but the logo on the tender is coloured correctly,

and the overalls a couple of people are wearing

look the correct shade of washed out blue

• Agree 1

Well, yes, I realise that it isn't a colourised photo. It's just that the background and surroundings are so washed-out in comparison to the coaches and the buffer beam that it looks like they've been added later! I guess it shows how monochrome the 1960s railway scene was before the advent of Rail Blue...

• Like 2

To my shame despite avidly going to Manchester Victoria many weekends from 1977 to the early 80s I never walked down the platform and under the canopies at Exchange - they lasted until 1982 - another 10 years and it would have been a suitable replacement for Victoria when they wanted to build over it.

Re; Manchester Exchange photo,  are my eyes deceiving me or is that a double slip to the right of the engine. While I can see the need for changing from one track to the other for three of them, what is the need for the slip rails nearest to the engine, to change back onto the track  leading back to the track it's just left, or are my eyes and brain just getting a bit befuddled as I get older.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, JOHNMCDRAGON said:

Re; Manchester Exchange photo,  are my eyes deceiving me or is that a double slip to the right of the engine. While I can see the need for changing from one track to the other for three of them, what is the need for the slip rails nearest to the engine, to change back onto the track  leading back to the track it's just left, or are my eyes and brain just getting a bit befuddled as I get older.

I think peering at this diagram may help...

plan2.jpg

[Embedded link from this site.]

The train appears to be on the Down Through, coloured red, heading for the South Lines Down Slow with the engine on the point coloured red. The slip in question is coloured yellow. It leads into a single slip coloured green, connecting to the Down Through or to the Up & Down Platform No. 4 road, coloured yellow, via the point coloured blue. So the side of the double slip that has been questioned provides a route from No. 4 platform line to the South Lines Down Slow. It does look as if for moves from the Down Through to the Down Slow there is duplication of the red / green points crossover by the crossover formed by the yellow and green slips. I wonder if there was a rule against a passenger train taking the diverging (sharply curved) route when traversing a facing slip?

• Like 6

Many thanks for reply, RM Webbers always able to come up with an accurate and comprehensive answer.  On looking at larger diagram , yes I think I can see what you mean, but have to study it again tomorrow when more awake ,off to bed now.  Thanks again for taking effort to answer with diagram, thanks . Appreciate the effort.

• Like 2

On 15/11/2021 at 18:59, montyburns56 said:

Manchester Exchange 4th Aug 1968 by John Whiteley

What health and safety !

Even more incongruous is the mark two coach (in rail blue too). Obviously well into service by then but something much more associated with the 1970s.

We tend to pigeon hole eras quite a bit but the mid to late 1960s really was a hotch potch of crossover.  

• Like 2

On 16/11/2021 at 18:59, montyburns56 said:

Bangholm 1981 by Alan Rintoul

E&G set passing Bangholm Jun 81-p18llnk5uq1a521n231067109i1tep

Spare set of PV Mk2s left over from the 27 push-pull service.

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Even more incongruous is the mark two coach (in rail blue too). Obviously well into service by then but something much more associated with the 1970s.

We tend to pigeon hole eras quite a bit but the mid to late 1960s really was a hotch potch of crossover.  

It does indeed, but the appearance of Mk2s in steam hauled workings would to my mind have been fairly common in the last couple of years on the LMR where they ran rakes of mixed Mk1/2 rather than making full sets of Mk2s bar the full brake and catering arrangements.

I'm sure there's a photo, may have been on this very forum, of a Mk2 in a short train at Ballachulish behind steam.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, hexagon789 said:

Spare set of PV Mk2s left over from the 27 push-pull service.

It does indeed, but the appearance of Mk2s in steam hauled workings would to my mind have been fairly common in the last couple of years on the LMR where they ran rakes of mixed Mk1/2 rather than making full sets of Mk2s bar the full brake and catering arrangements.

I'm sure there's a photo, may have been on this very forum, of a Mk2 in a short train at Ballachulish behind steam.

There’s a photograph taken of an A4 (I think) looking from behind at a city station with a blue and grey mark two with B4 bogies and held at a colour light signal on this very site somewhere taken in 1966/67 on a normal service train. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

There’s a photograph taken of an A4 (I think) looking from behind at a city station with a blue and grey mark two with B4 bogies and held at a colour light signal on this very site somewhere taken in 1966/67 on a normal service train. 

Even better, an A4 with a Mk2 is definitely rarer than a Stanier 5 or a Bulleid Pacific, they both worked fairly frequently with Mk2 coaches in later years but A4s not so much to my knowledge.

Don't suppose you know which thread the photo is to be found in, I'd be interested to see said photo?

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Only four A4 lasted into '66 - in Scotland - so this was indeed a pretty rare sighting !

( B4 bogies were almost universal under MkIIs. )

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Only four A4 lasted into '66 - in Scotland - so this was indeed a pretty rare sighting !

( B4 bogies were almost universal under MkIIs. )

It may not have been an A4 but it was an express train locomotive of some sort.it may even have been a Mk1 hence someone making the point about the B4 bogies being noteworthy..

Maybe someone on here can recall the picture on another thread and spare me blathering! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Even better, an A4 with a Mk2 is definitely rarer than a Stanier 5 or a Bulleid Pacific, they both worked fairly frequently with Mk2 coaches in later years but A4s not so much to my knowledge.

Don't suppose you know which thread the photo is to be found in, I'd be interested to see said photo?

See my comment below…

ta

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2021 at 09:55, russ p said:

Did the XP64 set ever get hauled by steam?

Three XP64 coaches were included on rail tour - https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/660326ec.html that included 3 steam engines (45596 'Bahamas', 48467 & 61302). I have seen pictures of this tour at Weekday Cross heading for Nottingham Victoria.

Rob

• Informative/Useful 2