Prototype for everything corner.

18 hours ago, Steven B said:

BR Green Bo-Co D5711 with a rather mixed train of a blue/grey Mk1 BSK and a collections of vans, opens and minerals.

D5711 at Cart Lane crossing between Grange over Sands and Kents Bank

(D5711 at Cart Lane crossing between Grange over Sands and Kents Bank - Antony Guppy on Flickr)

*cue Liverpudlian accent*

"It was another lovely day on the Island of Sodor, and Boco was working a goods train..."

I love that shot :)  Given the unreliability of the prototypes, I do wonder if the design has a bigger following amongst enthusiasts because of both the Dublo model and because of Awdry.  I remember reading a piece in Model Railway Enthusiast in the 90's that speculated about whether foreign railway enthusiasts thought automatically of Boco when trying to picture 'modern' British diesel locomotives.   Personally I like the eccentricity of the machines, and I'd love to see the survivor running one day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 24/11/2021 at 07:42, Ben B said:

*cue Liverpudlian accent*

"It was another lovely day on the Island of Sodor, and Boco was working a goods train..."

I love that shot :)  Given the unreliability of the prototypes, I do wonder if the design has a bigger following amongst enthusiasts because of both the Dublo model and because of Awdry.  I remember reading a piece in Model Railway Enthusiast in the 90's that speculated about whether foreign railway enthusiasts thought automatically of Boco when trying to picture 'modern' British diesel locomotives.   Personally I like the eccentricity of the machines, and I'd love to see the survivor running one day.

I'd also throw the Cuneo "Condor" painting and it's use on a Triang-Hornby catalogue cover into the mix! Admittedly it's the proverbial "box on wheels" diesel locomotive, but it has a certain quirky charm.

I do like my Heljan example!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2021 at 07:42, Ben B said:

Personally I like the eccentricity of the machines, and I'd love to see the survivor running one day.

I often wondered whether the uneven 6 & 4 layout was unique but I learned that it's not, there are examples in other countries, including B-A1A , such as the EMD FL9, which is an Electro-Diesel or the F-M model CPA-24-5 which is just diesel in the US.

Also the Japanese DE10,11 & 15 class which is a C-B being Diesel Hydraulic.

1280px-DE10-1081_in_Ajikawaguchi_IMG_670

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Metrovick locos built for Western Australia around the same time as the Co-Bos had the same engine and electrical equipment, and also had an unusual wheel arrangement. They were 2-Do-2, classes X, Xa and Xb. 

They Aussies persisted with them and after many modifications they proved fairly successful and lasted into the 1980s. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I often wondered whether the uneven 6 & 4 layout was unique but I learned that it's not, there are examples in other countries, including B-A1A , such as the EMD FL9, which is an Electro-Diesel or the F-M model CPA-24-5 which is just diesel in the US.

1280px-DE10-1081_in_Ajikawaguchi_IMG_670image.png.d031f008df7dc35cb7f71ad336295374.png

Handsome beasts, and very modern looking for a design over 50 years old.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

The Metrovick locos built for Western Australia around the same time as the Co-Bos had the same engine and electrical equipment, and also had an unusual wheel arrangement. They were 2-Do-2, classes X, Xa and Xb. 

They Aussies persisted with them and after many modifications they proved fairly successful and lasted into the 1980s. 

... as did the Irish 'A' class Co-Cos ..... though re-equipped with GM engines.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

1280px-DE10-1081_in_Ajikawaguchi_IMG_670image.png.d031f008df7dc35cb7f71ad336295374.png

I expected everything in Japan to be clean running, but here's a DE10 departing on the Kushiro Norokko train 4 years ago.

Just starting to clag nicely.

de10.jpg.ccb9ace717e3e795015e34abef47f55f.jpg

de10a.jpg.4e7a4ad82f6afcfc1205078ac3a3ebfb.jpg

And a few minutes later, the fumes hadn't cleared!

de10b.jpg.095748d0d90f056989729e42402307db.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

You can see one in the flesh at Chinnor Railway and check the calender you can ride behind it ,when I voluntered on tuesdays we got to clean it once.

D8568 used to be at Clitheroe Cement Works.

Not long after it arrived there, a couple of us were lucky enough to have a little drive around the works yard in 1979 or so. It was still in green before being painted into Ribble Cement colours.

Ex BR Class 17 Clayton (D8568) - Ribble Cement Works, Clitheroe.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

One of the comments suggests that all the buildings have gone except the 3 storey terrace on the right.

I would disagree. It looks like the 4 storey building has lost it's end for road widening, the rest is still there. The shop with the name board is still there and the buildings on the left are still there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, simon b said:

Not quite got enough clearance on your platform edges? It'll be fine....

The loadhaul DMU did this with its stepboards on the down platform at Thornaby when first converted