Prototype for everything corner.

If you are modelling Deutsche Bundesbahn in the 1950s but are short of German coaching stock, feel free to drop in a Mk1 BCK behind the Danish coach: 100261.jpg

The consensus here (German) is that it is indeed a Mk1, but no conclusion has been reached as to the how and why.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

If you are modelling Deutsche Bundesbahn in the 1950s but are short of German coaching stock, feel free to drop in a Mk1 BCK behind the Danish coach: 100261.jpg

The consensus here (German) is that it is indeed a Mk1, but no conclusion has been reached as to the how and why.

Wow! Wtf! How did that get there? It’s way after 1956 possibly the 70’s? I’m guessing also it must be air braked too? Hmm interesting. 

Edited by Matt37268

The discussion (in German) seems to conclude the third vehicle is a measurement car. 18 316 was brought out of retirement by the Federal Railway Research Office at Minden so that makes sense.

There was some British stock operated on the Detmold Military Railway (about 50ish km from Minden) and abandoned there when Deutsche Bundesbahn took the line back, but that was in 1948.

Is it absolutely certain it's a Mk 1 and not of LMS origin? There were some LMS coaches in WD service abandoned at Dunkirk in 1940. Some of them ended up in Germany and at least one somehow found its way to Russia.

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't see a ducket.  Everything about the bodyside profile (continuous curve, no tumblehome; window upper lights at a slightly different angle to the main pane, as per Mk1), the door hinges, window sizes and locations, says Mk1 BCK.

• Agree 6

Would it have worked over there as part of the British military/BAOR? I've read about the various railway units, but thought they only operated native stock or things like wagons designed for the train ferries.

1 hour ago, 25kV said:

I don't see a ducket.  Everything about the bodyside profile (continuous curve, no tumblehome; window upper lights at a slightly different angle to the main pane, as per Mk1), the door hinges, window sizes and locations, says Mk1 BCK.

I'm not totally convinced about BCK ( other passenger brakes are available ) .... but the LMS/BR clincher would be the presence or absence of visible underframe trussing : my eyesight doesn't see any !

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

On elargement it clearlyhas a guard's ducket, so the LMS origin may be likely.

100261.jpg

That's slightly smaller than the original on my PC!

How about this:

coachy.jpg.fad86d4704cff7b1705a83af350f4316.jpg

Or even this:

Coachz.JPG.54aeabe802c4e4475b92bf9eb21ef4dc.JPG

Edited by melmerby

If it’s any help, the photo on https://eisenbahnstiftung.de/ has a caption, but you can’t link to it directly. However, if you go to https://eisenbahnstiftung.de/bildergalerie and search the loco number, 18 316, it’s 2nd from the end. To save you the trouble, here’s the caption

Carl Bellingrodt hat seine Aufnahme zwar nach Memmingen verortet, stattdessen scheint er 18 316 der Lokversuchsanstalt Minden mit einem Meßzug beim Wasserhalt im Bahnhof Bebra angetroffen zu haben. Hinter der Lok ist ein Wagen der dänischen DSB, dahinter der britischen BR eingereiht. (06.1956) Foto: Carl Bellingrodt

Paraphrasing, Carl Bellingrodt [the photographer] located it as Memmingen, but it appears to be 18 316 from the loco test facility at Minden with a measurement (test?) train during a water stop at Bebra. First coach from DSB (Denmark), then a British BR* one. June 1956.

*I’m assuming BR = British Railways, by analogy with the DSB mention, rather then BR=Bundesreihe (~class)!

If it was a Mk1 it would be very early for a conversion to measurement use, although such a conversion could also entail adding a ducket, if that’s what it is.

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'm not totally convinced about BCK ( other passenger brakes are available ) .... but the LMS/BR clincher would be the presence or absence of visible underframe trussing : my eyesight doesn't see any !

I was also not quite certain about BCK, but proportionally it looks to me like the best fit, given what appear to be toilet windows etc, and subsequent length of van area.  But BCK or BSO aside, still very curious about what it was doing over there!  🙂 

• Agree 1

A public inconvenience?

2024-03-30, TPG, Lancy, Avenue des Communes Réunies

No room for a fiddle yard? Just terminate your railway in the middle of the scenic board with a random portaloo and a few plastic barriers. 

from fototak on Flickr

Edited by Mol_PMB
Source details
  • Like 7
  • Funny 7

21 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

A public inconvenience?

2024-03-30, TPG, Lancy, Avenue des Communes Réunies

No room for a fiddle yard? Just terminate your railway in the middle of the scenic board with a random portaloo and a few plastic barriers. 

from fototak on Flickr

That's how the French unions enforce a Personal Needs Break.

• Funny 3

On 29/03/2024 at 00:57, railsquid said:

The linked (German) site has an update as of 01/04 which reads.....

Re: Englischer Wagen

geschrieben von: kentishman

Datum: 01.04.24 20:49

Weitere Kommentare (ohne Übersetzung) aus der Newsgruppe BrCoachingStock, wo das Foto ausgiebig diskutiert wurde:

1. The September 1956 Railway Observer has a couple of paragraphs concerning "BR standard coach BCK W21164" which "has recently been to the Continent for trials concerning riding of vehicles". (Wagennummer und -Typ schon hier erwähnt.)

2. Keith Parkin, Supplement to his BR Mark 1 Coaching Stock book, relating to the ride quality of BR1 bogies:Page 26 - “E S Cox informed the institute of Locomotive Engineers that, in new condition, this bogie produced an excellent ride; it astounded both its owners and continental administrations when it came out near the top in competition with the best European designs in a series of very carefully conducted riding trials in 1956-7 over French and German tracks under the auspices of O R E.”
(Allerdings ganz erstaunlich: bei uns war der BR1-Drehgestell für schlechte Laufqualität berühmt!)

• Like 5