Prototype for everything corner.

Have you ever thought you might have accumulated too many 31s to fit on your 1990s layout at one time?

Fear not, because here are 5 at Rugby in 1996, led by 31423.

post-4474-0-60836300-1465233510_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever wanted a bogie oil tanker on your ECML or BR(NE) layout but feel that your era of 1961/2 is a little early for one?

Worry no more, because here is a photo of 60891 arriving at Berwick On Tweed with a passenger service on 31st May 1962, but look at the BP oil tankers in the sidings.

post-4474-0-22768500-1466195164_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Have you ever wanted a bogie oil tanker on your ECML or BR(NE) layout but feel that your era of 1961/2 is a little early for one?

Worry no more, because here is a photo of 60891 arriving at Berwick On Tweed with a passenger service on 31st May 1962, but look at the BP oil tankers in the sidings.

attachicon.gifs60891 berwick 31:5:62.jpg

You can also run them prewar!

Mark Saunders

I don't think I have ever seen those before. I always imagined that bogie tankers for oil products began with the 100t ones later in the 1960s. These appear to be on ex-bogie bolster wagons fitted with cradles, or something similar.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I have ever seen those before. I always imagined that bogie tankers for oil products began with the 100t ones later in the 1960s. These appear to be on ex-bogie bolster wagons fitted with cradles, or something similar.

No, they were built like that - starting in 1908.

There's a drawing in Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain by R. Tourret if you fancy building some. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

You can also run them prewar!

Mark Saunders

Pre- (both) Wars; they didn't wander much off their path between Central Scotland and Grain (Kent) over all that time, though. Initially, the traffic was from the oil-shale plants around Bathgate to Grain Refinery, I believe, but in later years it was paraffin wax from Grain to Grangemouth.

There were other bogie oil tanks dating from at least the inter-war period; Pratt's Petroluem (later ESSO) owned some. These lasted into the late 1960s; I saw one at Landore Diesel Depot then, loaded with diesel.

There's also a couple of good pictures on p23 of R Tourret's wee book British Railway Private Owner Tank Wagons, no 14 in Cheona Publications Railways in Profile Series.  One is between 1908 & repainting when taken over by BP in 1919 and the other 1968.  A happy reader of the book.  

Duncan

• Like 1

In the HMRS drawing collection!

Mark Saunders

post-3578-0-56771900-1466412495_thumb.gif

Is "oil products" the key to tanker size. The higher fractions would be volatile therefore it would be logical for safety reasons to transport in smaller 4 wheel tankers (wasn't petrol originally available only in tins until after WW1?)

But at the other extreme, at the bottom of the refining column, bitumen has to be heated (by steam heat circuit?) before discharge - therefore only 4 wheelers also..

Maybe those earlier bogies were bunker fuel.

I remember reading somewhere that the GE oil fired locos used 'recovered oils'.

These tanks were for crude oil. This is the reason why they are not part of the SMBP fleet but solely BP as the SMBP fleet was used for refined product as they had a joint marketing operation from c1932. As mentioned these tanks are a lot older than that. BP also had a fleet of 4 wheel crude oil tank wagons some of which were used for oil produced in Derbyshire.

Paul Bartlett

These tanks were for crude oil. This is the reason why they are not part of the SMBP fleet but solely BP as the SMBP fleet was used for refined product as they had a joint marketing operation from c1932. As mentioned these tanks are a lot older than that. BP also had a fleet of 4 wheel crude oil tank wagons some of which were used for oil produced in Derbyshire.

That's an interesting point. My late dad was originally a Shell salesman with (he claimed) a red 2 seater flat nose Morris with a Shell badged jerry cab on the running board.

The SMBP staff remained very partisan after the merger, he'd always maintain the BP lot were snootily Public School and stand-offish.

There were quite a few English oil wells besides east Derbyshire: Eakring in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire; also Dorset (all BP D'Arcy Exploration Co fields) which we'd always somehow happen to pass-by on cross country journeys. I remember in particular the forlorn nodding donkeys around Altcar, behind Formby in SW Lancashire. I never imagined they'd pump enough crude to justify bogie rail tanker connections!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find. An HST loco with Mk1 brake. A difficult one to beat.

All credit to the original photographer.

Just noticed. This was the next one in his album:

8230163371_3800ebd9fe_c.jpgpenshaw by david willoughby, on Flickr

and there is this:

14309092010_b43ef0b7d2_c.jpgLight Loco by Ian Robinson, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9