Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Tyseley were good at that. They ran a 122/101/105 combination in three different liveries. You could also get sets with maps of three different areas inside.

......and not one of 'em correct :D

• Funny 1

20 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm somewhat amused at the quality of, or lack of, old domestic cine film.

8mm was generally pretty gruesome, super 8 was better but nowhere as good as even standard VHS video.

I have that video somewhere. It is (or was) commercially available. 

That footage looks as though it has been videoed from the TV in an effort to maybe pretend it is original. I'm sure the original was better quality than that - I will have to search the vaults for my copy and check. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I have that video somewhere. It is (or was) commercially available. 

That footage looks as though it has been videoed from the TV in an effort to maybe pretend it is original. I'm sure the original was better quality than that - I will have to search the vaults for my copy and check. 

I've got quite a few Train DVDs (some never watched!) so I might have it somewhere as well.

I used to buy them from the Works, very cheap and some are cracking, others less so, some really dire.

One which was sold commercially was where some dumbo went to a heritage railway to video steam locos (in the video's title) but hadn't noticed that it was their diesel only weekend!

• Funny 3

On 26/11/2019 at 22:36, Davexoc said:

Trying to figure out where those 115s are, single line says to me between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough, but I don't recognise the partially demolished building....???

That was when we had a right load of rubbish to travel on  the 115,s  were still around but they were being phased out ,the building could be an old furniture factory but not sure.One journey to Marylebone  I was on an ex east Anglian dmu that rattled everywhere and smoke was entering from the rear of the coach all in all quite a journey .

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've got quite a few Train DVDs (some never watched!) so I might have it somewhere as well.

I used to buy them from the Works, very cheap and some are cracking, others less so, some really dire.

One which was sold commercially was where some dumbo went to a heritage railway to video steam locos (in the video's title) but hadn't noticed that it was their diesel only weekend!

I remember getting the 'Railfreight Today' 5 DVD set and another one something like 'Rail Centres'? Where the cameras spent most of the day at a large station inc Doncaster and Exeter, on 4 DVDs. Each for only £12-ish

On 26/11/2019 at 19:09, jonny777 said:

Have you just bought a job lot of DMU coaches in assorted liveries at a car boot sale?

Don't worry, as you can always re-create this scene....

cl_115_various_liveries_20:7:82.jpg.8d2d7d16d3249f9fbe7ab3ea524239cc.jpg

One of the joys of observing movements at Derby back in the day were the periodic shunts out of Litchurch Lane onto the goods line and back in again.  You'd get all sorts of random lashups of DMU cars and coaches. 

Edited by DY444

On 27/11/2019 at 02:01, TheSignalEngineer said:

Tyseley were good at that. They ran a 122/101/105 combination in three different liveries. You could also get sets with maps of three different areas inside.

Tyseley did have a habit of throwing anything together with scant regard to what they were doing. In one case managing to form a power twin and trailer twin as a 4 car unit that split at New Street. All went well until the new Driver tried to start his engines at New Street, and discovered he had no engines to start! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

5 hours ago, DY444 said:

One of the joys of observing movements at Derby back in the day were the periodic shunts out of Litchurch Lane onto the goods line and back in again.  You'd get all sorts of random lashups of DMU cars and coaches. 

Such workings weren't confined to the immediate hinterland of Derby; in the 1970s, there was a regular working from Derby to Crewe (and perhaps beyond) comprising  LHCS, NPCCS and DMMUs. On the days when this didn't run, there was a similarily mixed train, formed of assorted 'Special' wagons conveying larger parts of locos such as diesel engines and generators, bogies and so on, with vans, opens and DENPARTS for the smaller parts.

3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Took them a good while to get rid of the non-blue square fleets though.

TBH I wasn't picking on just Blue Square, just using it as 1 example of standardisation. Built to that standard, any make of car could be used with any other. (Something not available today!)

Stewart

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

TBH I wasn't picking on just Blue Square, just using it as 1 example of standardisation. Built to that standard, any make of car could be used with any other. (Something not available today!)

Stewart

Do other nation's railways have such a plethora of none compatible couplings/electrical systems?

Every new fleet that comes on the scene seems to be different.

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Do other nation's railways have such a plethora of none compatible couplings/electrical systems?

Every new fleet that comes on the scene seems to be different.

Not just new fleets now, apparently when we get Anglia's 156s due to alterations done by different operators they can't be coupled to our existing units.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, great central said:

Not just new fleets now, apparently when we get Anglia's 156s due to alterations done by different operators they can't be coupled to our existing units.

I was actually the other way round central disconnected a pin in coupler 34 iirc 

Means on your units the couple button has to be pressed after uncoupling to get brake back or something like that. I never really understood the logic of it but I don't think they did it to the 170s and they still worked ok with the rest of the units

23 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Wow that HST isn't a full passenger coach so it probably has enough seats for about 30 people, but at least they'll have hot food and coffee!

Yesterday, today and tomorrow I understand there's a special shortened 2+4 set running for test timing purposes. 09.00 from Sheffield to St Pancras and back. 

I have been told the purpose but can't really divulge it at the moment.

Don't know how it fared today due to the line problems around Sheffield. Yesterday it performed as expected.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Can't quite lay your track dead straight? Well, if I read this correctly no need to worry. 

Prototype curve radius of 50km!? Can it be measured to that degree of accuracy?

Apologies to on track staff if I'm barking up the wrong tree and it means something completely different.

It'd be interesting to see where the other end of the radius would be, somewhere in the York area perhaps? It's situated between Woodhouse station and junction near Sheffield

IMG_20191204_084507724.jpg.1a1cd9863ef3eafd68d5ab47a968393a.jpg

Edited by great central
Spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great central said:

Yesterday, today and tomorrow I understand there's a special shortened 2+4 set running for test timing purposes. 09.00 from Sheffield to St Pancras and back. 

Don't know how it fared today due to the line problems around Sheffield. Yesterday it performed as expected.

What would the max. speed for that formation be? Possibly not enough brake force for 125mph running

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great central said:

Is it the latest replacement for a Pacer?:good:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

I know this is not railways, but I found it amongst some slides I am scanning. 

It is Edinburgh in the early 50s I suspect and I'm sure many will enjoy the nostalgia of a past age. 

2019-12-05-0002.jpg.c2fc2244a6a75af6bfe2e27b4af09c70.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2019 at 10:32, Owd Bob said:

I like it,:yes: i can just imagine them on the line from Manch' to Wigan. replacing the 142's:) 

I seem to recall a 2+2 HST running on a Manchester Airport to Scotland service in place of a 158 in BR days. Had to be restricted in speed because although it went like the proverbial it was almost impossible to stop at speeds approaching 100mph.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1