Prototype for everything corner.

26 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Want to model Class 60's but don't have a lot of space?  This could be the train for you.

5064241575_2fa5aa9f0c_c.jpgEgginton Junction, 60001 by Nick Allsop, on Flickr

I noticed, when I drove past yesterday, that the manually operated gates (by the white crossing keepers cottage) have lights in place, but not yet in use, presumably ready for AHB installation. This could spell the end for the signalbox here.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Informative/Useful 1

Do you have lots of class 37s and want to run them in threes, but do not want to go to the trouble of creating Llanwern or Ravenscraig iron ore trains? 

Don't worry, just build a layout in the Taunton area.....

1964754609_376743767237521attaunton1990s.jpg.3dab3843d0f66c855a3f0b769ce8e0d7.jpg

37672 37674 37521 passing Taunton with a freight service circa 1997. 

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why an earth does it need a brake tender?

It was approaching 130T all wheels braked, better than many steam locos

Diesel locos cannot take full advantage of their weight with regards to braking, or the brake blocks would melt in very short order, especially from top speed on a passenger service.  It is why most diesel locos were restricted to 60mph light engine. Any speed higher without a decent length fully fitted train behind them and they would struggle to stop in the required distance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

19 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I wonder if I might be permitted a personal anecdote?  When Bachmann brought out 10000/10001 in BR green I decided to buy them using Rule 1.  My layout is set in the Chilterns but I'd never seen photographic evidence of them either through High Wycombe or Aylesbury, despite the WCML being quite close.  I reasoned it was quite possible an excursion or diverted goods wouldn't be out of the question.  Today, I've just stumbled across this shot of 10001 with a brake tender to boot passing Beaconsfield.  Rule 1 consigned to the bin!

Wonderful thing, the internet. I've acquired a few random "Rule 1" models only to later accidentally stumble upon a photograph validating their presence on my layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 07/01/2020 at 10:29, jonny777 said:

Do you have lots of class 37s and want to run them in threes, but do not want to go to the trouble of creating Llanwern or Ravenscraig iron ore trains? 

Don't worry, just build a layout in the Taunton area.....

1964754609_376743767237521attaunton1990s.jpg.3dab3843d0f66c855a3f0b769ce8e0d7.jpg

37672 37674 37521 passing Taunton with a freight service circa 1997. 

"You wait all day for one and then three come along at the same time"...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Titan said:

I wonder what speed they were allowed to run at? With only three coaches per loco I would think there would be insufficient brake force for 90mph running...

Hi Titan,

Do you really think Bog Rail will have considered such a thing?!?!!?

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Titan said:

I wonder what speed they were allowed to run at? With only three coaches per loco I would think there would be insufficient brake force for 90mph running...

Both of them would be 60mph If the line speed is 85 or above OR 75mph if the line speed is 90 or above 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Titan said:

60mph where line speed is under 90 and 75mph above 90. 

I was actually traction inspector on it assessing the driver

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, russ p said:

60mph where line speed is under 90 and 75mph above 90. 

I was actually traction inspector on it assessing the driver

Ive got that page of the rule book saved as a photo on my phone for quick reference, especially the bit about 4, 5 or 6 coaches over 100mph

• Like 3

Saw an interesting one last night whilst driving through Bingley (West Yorkshire), GBRF 66 with a single bogie stone wagon, RTT shows it as a move from Doncaster to the Rylstone quarry, so guessing a repaired wagon.  One for the modeller who wants a modern quarry train in 00 but lacks the 40ft layout to accommodate it maybe?

• Like 2