Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That is a turntable. It's just upside down.

Not a new idea. The Hedjaz had them on railbuses nearly 100 years ago.

Weren't some types of Wickham  trolley fitted with something similar? More recently, I'm sure I've seen examples of road-rail plant (the sort modified from lorries) with similar fittings.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2020 at 18:05, eastglosmog said:

So did the (in)famous Crewe Tractor of 1916 vintage.

The next SLS publication (due to launch, hopefully, at the Ally Pally Show) has a small segment on the Crewe Tractors,

• Thanks 1

Got an old dead 47?, got an industrial scene?  Use the 47 as a static generator!

From the class47.co.uk site: "One of the strangest duties ever performed by a Class 47 fell to 47155 in 1976. The CEGB Power Station at West Thurrock in Essex, asked BR if it could provide a temporary stationary generator set while a serious fault on one of their auxiliary generators was fixed. Stratford depot duly obliged. 47155, with buffers and bogies removed was transported by road (on a Pickfords low-loader) to Thurrock on the night of January 8th/9th. Whilst in use at the power station the route code was set to '1240' indicating (presumably) the hp output from the 47's main generator"

Jim

generator.JPG

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winnie said:

I believe the output from the  47's generator was used as external exciter for the power stations main generator   

That's what I remember reading, not that I knew what it meant!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Got an old dead 47?, got an industrial scene?  Use the 47 as a static generator!

From the class47.co.uk site: "One of the strangest duties ever performed by a Class 47 fell to 47155 in 1976. The CEGB Power Station at West Thurrock in Essex, asked BR if it could provide a temporary stationary generator set while a serious fault on one of their auxiliary generators was fixed. Stratford depot duly obliged. 47155, with buffers and bogies removed was transported by road (on a Pickfords low-loader) to Thurrock on the night of January 8th/9th. Whilst in use at the power station the route code was set to '1240' indicating (presumably) the hp output from the 47's main generator"

Jim

generator.JPG

There are 4 EMD G8s used this way at Bob White Electrics in Geelong, Australia. The locos are more or less complete apart from bogies and a few things like headlights.

6890712150_b40295b0d8_b.jpg

D424_2476.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Quite fitting considering Bob White Electrix are owned by ABB (Asea Brown Boveri) a company that at one time made locos.

They just make components these days.

Brown Boveri made GWR ordered Gas Turbine 18000.

Looks like there are two smaller generators sitting in those containers, next to the locos.

Edited by melmerby

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder how they synchronised the volts & frequency?

13 hours ago, jf2682 said:

If its acting as a standby generator the frequency wouldn't have to be matched to any other supplies.  Only approximately right for both voltage and frequency.  Same as any S/B gen set.

The 47 supplied dc.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

AFAIK all traction motors are DC, but I'm happy to be proved wrong on this matter.  I like the exhaust solution at the Australian factory; stick the nose end out through the wall!

They are free standing, aren't they?

• Agree 1