Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dana said:

found on pintrest

what to do with your RTI / oxford trucks

5054483036_bb42a4210b_w.jpg

I assume that was a publicity photo for Austin/Morris or BL, complete with the Austin branded pedal car in the Mini pickup.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The pedal car was possibly the most profitable car they ever made - about 40,000 of them were produced.

They were a step up from the typical kids pedal car of the day, even had some working accessories such as lights & horn:

http://www.austinworks.com/pedalcar.html

Would you like to buy one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-J40-PEDAL-CAR-TOTALLY-ORIGINAL-J-40-/153854846127?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

They were a step up from the typical kids pedal car of the day, even had some working accessories such as lights & horn:

http://www.austinworks.com/pedalcar.html

Would you like to buy one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-J40-PEDAL-CAR-TOTALLY-ORIGINAL-J-40-/153854846127?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

How much!!!

I didn't realise they made them so late

• Agree 1

They must have made them over a long period, I remember one of the kids in our street had one and it was a lot before 1970, at a time when real cars were rare in our street - although there was a rather nice sporty red Morgan three wheeler next door but one. I wonder what that would be worth now?

Paul

• Like 1

Found these whilst hunting for some Keighley and Worth Valley Railway pics for the Class 25 and 31 prototype threads.

Got a load of model locomotives from different eras, but want to run them all together?

B_BUCKI_KWVR_D0226_71515_30587_20059_DAMEMS_4.7.17_02.JPG.252dcbe4c5c4714f2e46cf2fdedb2e1c.JPG

Preparations for the Small Engines gala back in 2017.  Bachmann 25, Kernow Beattie Well Tank, DJM Austerity, but would need to scratchbuild the experimental/prototype EE shunter "Vulcan".  Not the greatest shot, but I was out for a walk near Damems and the convoy slightly caught me by surprise.

BEN_BUCKI_KWVRGALA_78022_97205-31163_Damems_06_05.19_06.JPG.d1605b4eb620048e5b0d1f6db8a27433.JPG

And a couple from when the railway went pleasantly eccentric with the loco roster on the last couple of days of the 2019 gala.  Back at Damems again, and we have the forthcoming 2MT from Hornby, and a custom repainted Railroad 31...

BEN_BUCKI_KWVRGALA_41001HST_5820_Damems_05_05.19_07.JPG.15d739f8a3743f9c189fc3d0e5e8de77.JPG

...though this is my favourite, but would need a lot of scratchbuilding.  S160 "Big Jim" with BR double-arrows no less, piloting the visiting Prototype High Speed Train with correct livery, and older Virgin, Mk3's.  There's even a Class 50 on the rear!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The pedal car was possibly the most profitable car they ever made - about 40,000 of them were produced.

Built on a proper production line supervised by Austin engineers at Remploy in Blackwood, Mon, IIRC; somewhere in South Wales anyway.  They were produced in 3 versions, a pedal car with steering, a battery powered with steering and working horn and lights, both with openng boots, and a bodyshell with a cosmetic steering wheel and seats for fairground roundabouts.  This had horn and lights powered from the roundabout supply, and no opening boot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Built on a proper production line supervised by Austin engineers at Remploy in Blackwood, Mon, IIRC; somewhere in South Wales anyway.  They were produced in 3 versions, a pedal car with steering, a battery powered with steering and working horn and lights, both with openng boots, and a bodyshell with a cosmetic steering wheel and seats for fairground roundabouts.  This had horn and lights powered from the roundabout supply, and no opening boot. 

And are available again new.... I think from ESM Minors, but work has locked down the web, so I can't check....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

They also made a "racer" but they seem as rare as hen's teeth.

The ESM Minor.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/

Actually the Morris Minor Centre (Bath) an associate company make the pedal car.

https://www.mmcbath.co.uk/

Edited by melmerby

20 hours ago, Ben B said:

Found these whilst hunting for some Keighley and Worth Valley Railway pics for the Class 25 and 31 prototype threads.

Got a load of model locomotives from different eras, but want to run them all together?

B_BUCKI_KWVR_D0226_71515_30587_20059_DAMEMS_4.7.17_02.JPG.252dcbe4c5c4714f2e46cf2fdedb2e1c.JPG

Preparations for the Small Engines gala back in 2017.  Bachmann 25, Kernow Beattie Well Tank, DJM Austerity, but would need to scratchbuild the experimental/prototype EE shunter "Vulcan".  Not the greatest shot, but I was out for a walk near Damems and the convoy slightly caught me by surprise.

BEN_BUCKI_KWVRGALA_78022_97205-31163_Damems_06_05.19_06.JPG.d1605b4eb620048e5b0d1f6db8a27433.JPG

And a couple from when the railway went pleasantly eccentric with the loco roster on the last couple of days of the 2019 gala.  Back at Damems again, and we have the forthcoming 2MT from Hornby, and a custom repainted Railroad 31...

BEN_BUCKI_KWVRGALA_41001HST_5820_Damems_05_05.19_07.JPG.15d739f8a3743f9c189fc3d0e5e8de77.JPG

...though this is my favourite, but would need a lot of scratchbuilding.  S160 "Big Jim" with BR double-arrows no less, piloting the visiting Prototype High Speed Train with correct livery, and older Virgin, Mk3's.  There's even a Class 50 on the rear!

I went to the K&WVR on a SRPS railtour back in August 1993 and haulage over the branch was scheduled for double headed Jinty” 0-6-0T No. 47279 and 78022, however 78022 was a failure and haulage up the branch was 47279 double headed with D5209, 47279 did the return alone.  Main line motive power that day was 47715 in Network SE livery

Jim

I posted this in the 'Fall & Rise of the Tugs' thread but well worth posting here too...surely up there already for working of the year...or last 5 as there hasn’t been a Tug in East Anglia for 5 years according to the photographer, 

let alone hauling a lengthy MK3 rake!

60055 Dunston 08/04/20 - DC Rail Freight 60055 produces the unbelievable sight of a Class 60 hauling GA MK3 coaching stock during my daily exercise. The 'Tug' passes through Dunston on the way to Eastleigh for refurbishment with Chiltern Railways.

(Flickr link)

Get that on any present day GEML layouts! It looks a pleasing combo to me.

Jack.

• Like 17