Prototype for everything corner.

9 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

This was taken around 5 years ago, I have no idea what the story behind it was

The 47 on coal wagons - probably moving out-of-use wagons somewhere rather than an actual revenue working. Weren't a load of coal wagons converted to aggregate use by chopping a bit out of the length?

I saw another 47 yesterday towing a rake of Transpennine Mk5 coaches - turned out to be a working from storage at Gascoigne Wood to Manchester. That looked pretty incongruous, an early-60s loco with practically brand-new coaches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

The 47 on coal wagons - probably moving out-of-use wagons somewhere rather than an actual revenue working. Weren't a load of coal wagons converted to aggregate use by chopping a bit out of the length?

I saw another 47 yesterday towing a rake of Transpennine Mk5 coaches - turned out to be a working from storage at Gascoigne Wood to Manchester. That looked pretty incongruous, an early-60s loco with practically brand-new coaches.

The shortening of various bogie hopper wagons, allowing them to run  longer trains of denser aggregates, has only been started over the past year or so. This working was probably being put into storage because of the reduction in coal traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I think it was before that, I'm almost certain it was loaded at the time, the loco was definitely working hard, I'll check with my mate who I went with, he'll know

Richard

I wonder if it was 'spot traffic' of either coal or coke from Redcar/Lackenby? However, this train, if loaded, would have probably been too much for a single 47; there are at least 14 wagons visible.

On 01/06/2020 at 23:44, Richard Croft said:

This was taken around 5 years ago, I have no idea what the story behind it was

47843 was one of a number of 47s on hire to GB at the time, working on the east side of the country. Not 100% if they did other jobs as it's not local to me, but from Flickr they seemed to stick to Gypsum workings mainly, but got on the occasional coal working. There were a couple of moves of empties  in and out of store hauled by 47s. I put 47843 GBRF into Flickr and worked from there.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Any truth in the rumour that during lockdown the strategic reserve steam locomotives were taken out for test runs when there were no enthusiasts out and about to see them ? lol :)

Check Tracksy for clues - a lot of train description boxes were showing "RUST", could that be a code word for the workings?:dirol_mini:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Check Tracksy for clues - a lot of train description boxes were showing "RUST", could that be a code word for the workings?:dirol_mini:

Obviously trains "Running Under Strategic Testing":jester:

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I hope they were more than two metre apart !

Possible, in one direction at least with this set up......

IMG_3147.JPG.a3a0bcf56629d647ab5c6ef52d89bd3a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Going back to triangles, Trent and Lenton have already been mentioned (ok, it was several pages back...)

As well as the Trent South-Sheet Stores-Trent and Mansfield Jct-Lenton Nth-Lenton Sth triangles there is also, though not as obvious as the other two, a triangular arrangment of Attenborough Jct-Meadow Lane Jct-Trent Sth (on the High Level Goods line).

There is also, on a much larger scale, a triangle of Trent Sth-Mansfield Jct-Trowel Jct.

The recent publication of the proposals for developing local transport links to the HS2 station at Toton

https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/27bn-plan-for-transport-links-to-toton-hs2-hub/56655.article

makes mention of the construction of a new "Trowel Curve".

If this comes off, the large triangle of Trent Sth-Mansfield Jct-Trowel Jct will have a small triangle at each corner.

Are there (or were there) any similar layouts?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A US example - a pair of articulated locomotive with mismatched engines, the original front engines swapped during maintenance

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=140936

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=75372

apparently there were cases of redundant front engines, replaced by more modern units being cascaded down onto secondary service 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Going back to triangles, Trent and Lenton have already been mentioned (ok, it was several pages back...)

As well as the Trent South-Sheet Stores-Trent and Mansfield Jct-Lenton Nth-Lenton Sth triangles there is also, though not as obvious as the other two, a triangular arrangment of Attenborough Jct-Meadow Lane Jct-Trent Sth (on the High Level Goods line).

There is also, on a much larger scale, a triangle of Trent Sth-Mansfield Jct-Trowel Jct.

The recent publication of the proposals for developing local transport links to the HS2 station at Toton

https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/27bn-plan-for-transport-links-to-toton-hs2-hub/56655.article

makes mention of the construction of a new "Trowel Curve".

If this comes off, the large triangle of Trent Sth-Mansfield Jct-Trowel Jct will have a small triangle at each corner.

Are there (or were there) any similar layouts?

In that area there are also triangles at shirebrook and workshop and a disused one at Clipstone

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The area around Springs Branch Wigan had several triangles. Bamfurlong Junction to Wigan NW via Ince Moss. Also Springs Branch to Platt Bridge then via Fir Tree House Junction to Ince Moss and back to Springs Branch. There was also a triangular junction at Amberswood on the Whelley Loop. To the south there was another triangle formed by Lowton Junction and Parkside East and West junctions as well as Earlestown, which also had a line through the middle of the triangle that was part of a local colliery system. On the former LYR system east of Wigan the lines from Crow Nest to Dobbs Brow Junction on the Atherton line then to Hindley and Blackrod Junction also formed a triangle. There are many more north west towns and cities with large numbers of triangles, Manchester also had more than it`s fair share.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, iands said:

Even Selby has a triangle, not that there is any call for it these days.

Some stuff still goes round it, a while back but been round it with the saloon 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, russ p said:

Some stuff still goes round it, a while back but been round it with the saloon 

I've heard of squaring a circle,

but rounding a triangle is a new one  :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned two triangles still extant on the South Eastern - though neither is likely to be used for tuning anything other than railtours : Sittingbourne and Minster - two in the Dover area are long gone unfortunately.

Don't forget also on the SE Division: the two triangular junctions by Slade Green/Dartford, the Lee Spur at Hither Green, and is the third side still there in the Cannon St/Borough Market area?

• Like 2