Prototype for everything corner.

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Don't forget also on the SE Division: the two triangular junctions by Slade Green/Dartford, the Lee Spur at Hither Green, and is the third side still there in the Cannon St/Borough Market area?

Thanks for those more sub/urban ones ..... yes, I think the Metropolitan junction - Cannon Street spur is still connected but I've no idea how it's accessed since the Thameslink reorganisation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah ...... October '87 : No there won't be a hurricane !

There wasn't - it was an extratropical cyclone with hurricane-force winds!

Is it still called rivet counting when discussing the weather?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know when proper 'Translator' coaches came into use but if you're modelling BR up to about the mid-late '80s, then for hauling anything with a non-screwlink/buckeye coupling, you only need a flat wagon or brake van as the 'convertor' vehicle (although I think some former AB vans may have been used later).

The stock would then be hauled, unfitted at 35mph max, often over some distances e.g. deliveries of 1972 EMU stock from York to wherever, tube stock away to Scotland for refurb etc

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, keefer said:

I don't know when proper 'Translator' coaches came into use but if you're modelling BR up to about the mid-late '80s, then for hauling anything with a non-screwlink/buckeye coupling, you only need a flat wagon or brake van as the 'convertor' vehicle (although I think some former AB vans may have been used later).

The stock would then be hauled, unfitted at 35mph max, often over some distances e.g. deliveries of 1972 EMU stock from York to wherever, tube stock away to Scotland for refurb etc

The use of coupling adapter vehicles has been a long standing practice, translator vehicles since the introduction of stock with electro pneumatic only brakes (westcode) to allow the use of the automatic brake when being towed dead rather than just the  main air pipe to release the air operated parking brake. Their use tends to be for EMU’s as DMU’s tend to move under their own power. 

Merseyside had had a small fleet of ex LMS brake vans with tightlock couplings for their 508’s. 

Mkl type Southern EMU’s could be hauled using air braked locomotives as the EPB was in effect an add on feature.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Merseyside had had a small fleet of ex LMS brake vans with tightlock couplings for their 508’s. 

Previously used for moving the LMS/BR class 502/503 EMUs for maintenance off the Northern and Wirral line systems.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The use of coupling adapter vehicles has been a long standing practice, translator vehicles since the introduction of stock with electro pneumatic only brakes (westcode) to allow the use of the automatic brake when being towed dead rather than just the  main air pipe to release the air operated parking brake. Their use tends to be for EMU’s as DMU’s tend to move under their own power. 

Mkl type Southern EMU’s could be hauled using air braked locomotives as the EPB was in effect an add on feature.

And sometimes barrier vehicles etc, not used so stock runs unbraked (assuming I've read this RAIB release correctly) -  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/signal-passed-at-danger-near-loughborough 

In this case the investigation’s findings are not yet published so we don’t know the full why and wherefore behind the situation.

Edited by john new
Typo & RAIB reference added for clarity

19 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Don't forget also on the SE Division: the two triangular junctions by Slade Green/Dartford, the Lee Spur at Hither Green, and is the third side still there in the Cannon St/Borough Market area?

That's the one with the rather sordid reputation, isn't it? It's still there, though I believe it no longer has a timetabled service.

8 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Earlier Southern electric units were normally hauled unbraked - though the Southern were never short of ex Brighton & SECR locos with Westinghouse capability.

On 06/06/2020 at 20:15, Wickham Green too said:

Thanks for those more sub/urban ones ..... yes, I think the Metropolitan junction - Cannon Street spur is still connected but I've no idea how it's accessed since the Thameslink reorganisation.

There's also a SED triangle at Canterbury Rd Jn/Cambria Jn/Loughborough Jn.

There are actually quite a lot on the Southern.  Another quirk of the Southern is that all the London termini have at least one out and back route where trains can be turned without reversing if needed.  And all of them are inside the M25.

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 07/06/2020 at 11:29, Fat Controller said:

That's the one with the rather sordid reputation, isn't it? It's still there, though I believe it no longer has a timetabled service.

The rails were shiny every time I went past it back before lockdown. Presumably regularly used for ECS.

4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ahhhhh, vac cylinders & instanters...  Anywez...stop "goading" me!

...I know your still in mourning the loss of your beloved brakevan Uncle P, and I will always feel guilty for having dropped it, but just think, if you'd glued the roof on none of this would have happened!!!...also (back to the picture) is the L/H van from the same batch as the old Airfix kit? There are clues out there if you look hard enough...

48 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

(back to the picture) is the L/H van from the same batch as the old Airfix kit?

My eyes say, "aye" but it could equally be a Lot 2741 as opposed to a 2606.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder how far up towards Elephant or Blackfriars you'd have to go to use that ? ...... possibly different whether you were going clockwise or widdershins !

Elephant.  You can cross from the Up Holborn Slow to Dn Holborn Slow south of the station and turn back in P2.

However there's usually little point in using any of the Southern triangles in Greater London for turning trains because as I said earlier there are out and back routes that can be used much more conveniently for that purpose.

Edited by DY444

The triangle at Carstairs is occasionally used for turning wrong-formed or defective Up WCML services from Glasgow. The obvious move is from Carstairs station to Carstairs East Jc, change ends, forward to Carstairs South Jc and away. However.......unless it has altered recently, there is no signalled route at the East Jc to make that move. So a train has to be turned via South Jc/East Jc/station, three reversals !

21 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Former Waterloo & City Line departmental locomotive DS75 @ Brighton 1977

Actually not far from home at that time as it lived - with the M7 and a few other items - in the old Pullman Works at Preston Park ................. those two are a long way from the Southern now !

• Informative/Useful 2