Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

It WOULD look better with yellow ends !

I looked at it and couldn't work out what was wrong with it. Somehow it it looks too plain. The only things I can think of are the Blue Pullmans had red buffer beams, which broke up the front a bit (difficult on an HST), and they had silver equipment underfloor. There's also not enough white surrounding the cab windows, but that's not easy to correct, as the side windows don't line up with the front window like they do on the original BP.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Ioor. There's also not enough white surrounding the cab windows, but that's not easy to correct, as the side windows don't line up with the front window like they do on the original BP.

Like this?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I looked at it and couldn't work out what was wrong with it. Somehow it it looks too plain. The only things I can think of are the Blue Pullmans had red buffer beams, which broke up the front a bit (difficult on an HST), and they had silver equipment underfloor. There's also not enough white surrounding the cab windows.

Maybe a couple of buffer fitted power cars?

Says it's going to Manchester for the Christmas Market! Probably not methinks.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Maybe a couple of buffer fitted power cars?

Says it's going to Manchester for the Christmas Market! Probably not methinks.

I'd be surprised if there is an Xmas market in Manchester. Bath Xmas market is cancelled.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2020 at 13:19, great central said:

Almost every photo of NPCCS has a Southern van of some sort in.:O

All NPCCS other than circuit working was pooled nationally at nationalisation, so anything could be seen anywhere on the network within a very short time, perhaps only a few weeks after 1/1/1948.  Ex SR PMVs were very common because they'd been built in huge numbers and indeed still were for several years afterwards,  Hence, almost every photo of post 1948 NPCCS has a Southern van of some sort in, well into the 1980s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2020 at 07:18, rodent279 said:

I'd be surprised if there is an Xmas market in Manchester. Bath Xmas market is cancelled.

Birmingham's has yet to be cancelled, the council are still weighing up the options and hope to run it.

It's still slated for 5th Nov - 23rd Dec.

Edited by melmerby

On 30/07/2020 at 20:44, bimble said:

that is possibly a front runner for the worst livery to appear on a HST... it's not too bad in profile, but that three quarters angle looks terrible... hopefully they'll tweak it somehow... 

Each to their own! I think it looks like the best thing I've seen since an ex-works green Class 40, and it gave me a chuckle!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We've had steam rescuing early diesels before, but a WD?  Maybe the tail load was too much for the (what was to become) Class 108 114?

DUB DEE TO THE RESCUE OF AN EXPIRED EARLY DMU.

Gainsborough Central

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 13

58 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

We've had steam rescuing early diesels before, but a WD?  Maybe the tail load was too much for the (what was to become) Class 108?

DUB DEE TO THE RESCUE OF AN EXPIRED EARLY DMU.

Gainsborough Central

Possibly a 114? Lots of those in Lincolnshire, power/trailer two car so not that many horses available. They often had tail traffic I understand.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, great central said:

Possibly a 114? Lots of those in Lincolnshire, power/trailer two car so not that many horses available. They often had tail traffic I understand.

Quite right - I used one of the horses for errantly jumping to a conclusion

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

Want a 30' shipping container.  Just cut down a 40' one and get a 10' one as well.

https://www.budgetshippingcontainers.co.uk/info/building-a-30ft-cut-down-shipping-container/

Sounds like one of those antiques programmes on TV, "How to make £100 by buying and selling antiques: start out with £300".

• RMweb Premium

Reminiscent of model railway operation [*]

Within the space of about 30 minutes - stood on a railway station today - on the main network.

Observed were:

Class 47 (x2 in different liveries) , 57, 66 (x2 liveries), 37, Mk1/2/3 coaches in 3 different liveries, a steam loco, engine swaps, lots of semaphores and more people on a station than I've seen in 5 months.........

And not a DMU in sight.

47593/37521 on the Staycation Express

hf1.jpg.994f06786ceeeffe3ec8abfd0ebb78eb.jpg

57316/47804 that worked the York-Hellifield leg. (57316 had been detached from the front and was running "bang road" through the down platform to join 47804 on the down goods loop via a reversal on the Clitheroe branch.

hf3.jpg.8313f5bac6ce70550797b46ae618522d.jpg

35018 British India Line waiting to take over the York-Carlisle "Dalesman". It would reverse out from the up goods loop toward Skipton, then forwards through the down platform to then reverse onto the front of the stock in the down goods loop.

hf2.jpg.d16119f0ce1f22d1587b2851dfe458fe.jpg

47804/57316 that worked the York-Hellifield leg. (57313 had been detached from teh front and was running "bang road" through the down platform to join 47804 on the down goods loop via a reversal on the Clitheroe branch.

[*] Hellifield - as it is today - would make a great model railway layout from an operational point of view...

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

47593/37521 on the Staycation Express

hf1.jpg.994f06786ceeeffe3ec8abfd0ebb78eb.jpg

Hi Newbryford,

Thanks to a mate of mine I had a ride out on both of the above locomotives last week. A ride out from Appleby to Skipton and return was great fun.

My unfortunate observation of the last trip back to Appleby, "And not a DMU passenger in sight !!!"

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Newbryford,

Thanks to a mate of mine I had a ride out on both of the above locomotives last week. A ride out from Appleby to Skipton and return was great fun.

My unfortunate observation of the last trip back to Appleby, "And not a DMU passenger in sight !!!"

Gibbo.

The "middle" trip seems to be the most populated.

Just seen the first northbound at Settle.

Slowed to a crawl through the platform and then carried on! Must have been no-one wanting to board.

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2020 at 20:06, TheSignalEngineer said:

I remember there being a picture which I think got posted to this site some years ago showing a Hawksworth vehicle at Kyle of Lochalsh.

Just when you can't find it, Robert Carroll links it in another thread. 

Can't get image to show from my phone, go to other topic and follow link there.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

If you thought that the two Restaurant Cars in the early HSTs was extravagant....

Wellingborough 1980s

They used formations like that with spare (kitchen?) cars for training purposes when the HSTs were being introduced to the Midland line.

There's another pic back on p77 of this thread, and some of my observations at p78:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78411-prototype-for-everything-corner/page/78/

• Informative/Useful 2