Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A Woolworths Pick-N-Mix Special Charter.

47477 Arten Gill Viaduct

47477 Arten Gill Viaduct

I know this will sound ridiculous, but as one of the youngest people to remember Woolies (my sister is two years younger and doesn't have a clue) this caption makes me feel very old.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A Woolworths Pick-N-Mix Special Charter.

47477 Arten Gill Viaduct

47477 Arten Gill Viaduct

Nice to see a late period view of The European diverted from the WCML. During 1988 it was replaced with a Harwich/Nottingham-Blackpool Class 156!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

35 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

I know this will sound ridiculous, but as one of the youngest people to remember Woolies (my sister is two years younger and doesn't have a clue) this caption makes me feel very old.

Slightly off topic, but the old Woolies in Holyhead, backing onto the carriage sidings, still has its Woolworths sign. I had to explain to my foster kids what Woolies was; made me feel old, my first job was on the tills at Dudley Woolies :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Slightly off topic, but the old Woolies in Holyhead, backing onto the carriage sidings, still has its Woolworths sign. I had to explain to my foster kids what Woolies was; made me feel old, my first job was on the tills at Dudley Woolies :)

An out-of-era Woolworths sign is perfectly on topic. The following is not:

Incidentally, my Dad took me and my sister to North Wales last week. One day we went for a walk along the harbour wall at Holyhead; in the car on the way back to Caernarfon my sister saw this sign. If she hadn't asked about it, I would never have realised that this was yet another major difference between my chilhood memories and those of many kids I go to school with (from September, everybody in Year 9 downwards will have been born after the iPhone was released, so I'm also one of the youngest to remember a world without the modern smartphone).

To try and push this discussion back on topic:

- 2:1 loco to wagon ratio

- BR Railfreight liveries in 2017

- The 56081 looks like it has been resprayed but they were so desparate to put it on the layout that they forgot to apply the transfers

56081 & 56098 Swinton, South Yorkshire

• Like 7

10 hours ago, 65179 said:

Nice to see a late period view of The European diverted from the WCML. During 1988 it was replaced with a Harwich/Nottingham-Blackpool Class 156!

The "European" title was dropped just after this picture was taken as from the 11th May 1987, the Glasgow/Edinburgh - Harwich Parkeston Quay service was re-routed to run unnamed via the WCML as far as Watford then Shenfield and Colchester.

The named train baton passed to a new Manchester Piccadilly - Harwich service which was given the "Rhinelander" title, reverting to past practices as the "European" had come about from the Manchester - Harwich service (formerly known as the North Country Continental) being extended to start back from Glasgow / Edinburgh in 1983.

The service you refer to I think ran as the "Britannia" from Harwich to Nottingham / Manchester Piccadilly with another Harwich - Birmingham / Liverpool 156 operated splitting service being given the "Loreley" title (later a third portion was added serving Blackpool North).

Finally in Regional Railways days the "Britannia" and "Loreley" titles were dropped and a new "Vincent van Gogh" title was bestowed upon workings between Liverpool Lime Street and Harwich.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SP Steve said:

The "European" title was dropped just after this picture was taken as from the 11th May 1987, the Glasgow/Edinburgh - Harwich Parkeston Quay service was re-routed to run unnamed via the WCML as far as Watford then Shenfield and Colchester.

The named train baton passed to a new Manchester Piccadilly - Harwich service which was given the "Rhinelander" title, reverting to past practices as the "European" had come about from the Manchester - Harwich service (formerly known as the North Country Continental) being extended to start back from Glasgow / Edinburgh in 1983.

The service you refer to I think ran as the "Britannia" from Harwich to Nottingham / Manchester Piccadilly with another Harwich - Birmingham / Liverpool 156 operated splitting service being given the "Loreley" title (later a third portion was added serving Blackpool North).

Finally in Regional Railways days the "Britannia" and "Loreley" titles were dropped and a new "Vincent van Gogh" title was bestowed upon workings between Liverpool Lime Street and Harwich.

I hadn't appreciated that the European name was dropped for the year that the Harwich-Glasgow didn't serve Manchester.  I spent a good few Sundays in 1989 watching diverted North Trans-Pennine services through Manchester Victoria. The appearance of the Loreley title for a train worked by a 156 always seemed incongruous.  From memory those Sunday services were Nottingham-Blackpool, but it is 30 years ago and 2nd Generation units weren't my focus at the time!

Simon

And yet another photo of D1733 running with original BR arrows turns up. I have seen 3 or 4 now.

I wonder how long they remained on the loco? Certainly, the old chestnut that was repeated in the railway media for many years (that they were removed immediately after the official press launch) was way off. Which makes me wonder where that story originated? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/203069450627

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

And yet another photo of D1733 running with original BR arrows turns up. I have seen 3 or 4 now.

I wonder how long they remained on the loco? Certainly, the old chestnut that was repeated in the railway media for many years (that they were removed immediately after the official press launch) was way off. Which makes me wonder where that story originated? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/203069450627

I wonder if one of the vinyls was damaged somehow so all four were removed?  Surprising back then that the red wasn't painted on.

How long did it stay in xp64 blue 

8 minutes ago, russ p said:

I wonder if one of the vinyls was damaged somehow so all four were removed?  Surprising back then that the red wasn't painted on.

How long did it stay in xp64 blue 

Hi Russ,

The latest dated photograph on this site shews January 26 1968.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=1733

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0146020925000http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0146020925000

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Although the irony of that link is the text on the D1733 page still insists the arrows were removed immediately after the press launch. 

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Although the irony of that link is the text on the D1733 page still insists the arrows were removed immediately after the press launch. 

Hi Jonny,

I noticed that also, the photos on the site shew a rather shiny renumbered 1733 in 1973 and I would suggest that is shortly after its first repaint which would be around eight years or so. It is probable that the early 1970's might be a fair guess for how long the XP64 paint scheme lasted.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Just imagine if you took a brush painted MTK kit and then made a full size version of it and transported it to Jamaica...

Wickham Class 109 in Trinidad on 22 February 1986

Some kind of shop/bar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Just imagine if you took a brush painted MTK kit and then made a full size version of it and transported it to Jamaica...

Now we know where the inspiration for the virgin trains livery came from...

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Does that still exist?