Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

And for someone with an up to date Welsh layout, this box at Cwmsychbant on A475 near Lampeter

rev Phone Box Cwmsychbant on A475 10Sep20.jpg

Does it stop the hearts of English cottage owners!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

I guess with Southall, Slough & Swindon, the S prefixes were taken up!

Plus about another 40 signal boxes beginning with "S".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilMortimer said:

PT stands for Port Talbot, where the power box is located.

Brings back memories of many years ago traveling home from University in Swansea screaming out of Port Talbot on a Cardiff bound HST.

For the record the Port Talbot box control area is now considerably reduced and much of its former area has been moved into the new fangled magic fun palace South Wales signalling centre at Cardiff.  Some of the moved areas (including Swansea station) do however retain the PT signal prefix.

17 hours ago, PhilMortimer said:

PT stands for Port Talbot, where the power box is located.

Brings back memories of many years ago .........

One amusing memory for me : Barry was - almost - cut off by snow so we were unable to 'liberate' our loco from the scrapyard and had a 'free' day to explore the Valleys ...... expecting the M4 to have been cleared during the day we were surprised to be stopped by the police when we got to the slip road :-

"Where you goin' boys ?"

"Barry"

"Aw - Motorway's not open yet ...... s'ggest you go back into P'Talbot an' get pissed - then try again later."

( We returned via the Valleys - and probably had a pint or three of Brains Dark back in Barry.)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, PhilMortimer said:

Brings back memories of many years ago traveling home from University in Swansea screaming out of Port Talbot on a Cardiff bound HST.

Why were you screaming? Bet that freaked out the other passengers! :jester:

• Funny 7

14 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Why were you screaming? Bet that freaked out the other passengers! :jester:

Have you ever been to Port Talbot? If so, you know why!

In reality, this was the days when HST’s still had Valentas and pulling away eastbound from PT, they would always lay on the power. Getting a seat in a coach next to the power car was a treat for the ears!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Scottish-Exile said:

2 Class 800's passing PT 3145  PT 3147 outside Landore depot on the run in to Swansea.

P1200046.JPG.3ac38a3c24aea644f7270fe0498f5360.JPG

I know that curve well.

There used to be a great old fashioned Italian Pizza place close by - great food. You could hear the HST’s screaming up the hill from Swansea Station, and then round Landore Curve and out across Morfa viaduct. All changed now.

The search for Class 13 Master + Slave replacements hits new levels of absurdity!

Class 08 No. 08643 is hauled through Bristol Temple Meads by a solitary HST power car 43162 in July 1984 (I presumed it was a working from St Philips Marsh depot with a view to the power car being turned, hence the 08 being manned and under power).

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 18

5 hours ago, SP Steve said:

The search for Class 13 Master + Slave replacements hits new levels of absurdity!

Class 08 No. 08643 is hauled through Bristol Temple Meads by a solitary HST power car 43162 in July 1984 (I presumed it was a working from St Philips Marsh depot with a view to the power car being turned, hence the 08 being manned and under power).

20200913_151503.jpg.fd7a5bebc56aca64874daa0056757967.jpg

No tail lamp ?

• RMweb Premium

27 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... even when being towed ?

An interesting question. I don't have my 1972 rule book to hand right now, but I was looking at it last night. Shunting locomotives operating round stations needed their red and white lights illuminated. Trains consisting of light engines needed an illuminated red light at the rear, but I am not at all sure whether showing an illuminated white light was permitted, and as I recall the two lights cannot be controlled separately on an 08. However, as an ordinary train (not a light engine movement), there needed to be a tail lamp "in working order" (I forget the precise wording), but it did not need to be illuminated except after dark, in snow, running through tunnels and some other situations.

I think the distinction between whether an illuminated red light or a red tail lamp in working order was required really came down to whether the train had a guard. With a light engine movement, the driver was responsible for flicking a switch; with a train, the guard was responsible for hanging a lamp on the back. Here we appear to have a situation where there isn't an appropriate switch to be flicked, and no guard to hang a lamp.

At some point (and I think it was before the 1996 rule book, but I don't have a date) the tail lamp rule was changed to say it always needed to be illuminated.

• Informative/Useful 1

The provision of a red and a white lamp at both ends of a station pilot goes back well into steam days. By day, they looked simply like a Class A (express passenger) headcode and led many an enthusiast to believe he was seeing an 0-6-0T on an express turn when it was simply moving stock within station limits. Going light engine to and from its worksite it would carry a normal headlamp at the leading end and a tail lamp at the trailing, not necessarily above the draw hook; it would not have two lamps each end.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ4NY5g19fxcsAGbaJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZANTOHF5a1RFd0xqSmhEUF9DWHpPZk1nbmJPVFV1TVFBQUFBQW9GbXZYBGZyA3NmcARmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDOWh2VDVXel9RQ2FRWVRjSjlmMXhIQQRuX3N1Z2cDMQRvcmlnaW4DaW1hZ2VzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMTYEcXVlcnkDSmludGllcyUyMDAtNi0wVAR0X3N0bXADMTYwMDA5NTA0NQ--?p=Jinties+0-6-0T&fr=sfp&fr2=sb-top-images.search&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt#id=65&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rail-online.co.uk%2Fimg%2Fs%2Fv-10%2Fp1830679492-4.jpg&action=click

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ4NY5g19fxcsAGbaJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZANTOHF5a1RFd0xqSmhEUF9DWHpPZk1nbmJPVFV1TVFBQUFBQW9GbXZYBGZyA3NmcARmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDOWh2VDVXel9RQ2FRWVRjSjlmMXhIQQRuX3N1Z2cDMQRvcmlnaW4DaW1hZ2VzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMTYEcXVlcnkDSmludGllcyUyMDAtNi0wVAR0X3N0bXADMTYwMDA5NTA0NQ--?p=Jinties+0-6-0T&fr=sfp&fr2=sb-top-images.search&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt#id=141&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rail-online.co.uk%2Fimg%2Fs%2Fv-3%2Fp1689109697-4.jpg&action=click

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ4NY5g19fxcsAGbaJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=X1MDOTYwNjI4NTcEX3IDMgRhY3RuA2NsawRjc3JjcHZpZANTOHF5a1RFd0xqSmhEUF9DWHpPZk1nbmJPVFV1TVFBQUFBQW9GbXZYBGZyA3NmcARmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDOWh2VDVXel9RQ2FRWVRjSjlmMXhIQQRuX3N1Z2cDMQRvcmlnaW4DaW1hZ2VzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMTYEcXVlcnkDSmludGllcyUyMDAtNi0wVAR0X3N0bXADMTYwMDA5NTA0NQ--?p=Jinties+0-6-0T&fr=sfp&fr2=sb-top-images.search&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt#id=209&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rail-online.co.uk%2Fimg%2Fs%2Fv-10%2Fp1778124696-4.jpg&action=click

Edited by LMS2968
Add photo links

9 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

The provision of a red and a white lamp at both ends of a station pilot goes back well into steam days. By day, they looked simply like a Class A (express passenger) headcode and led many an enthusiast to believe he was seeing an 0-6-0T on an express turn when it was simply moving stock within station limits.

Not simply "enthusiasts". An error all too common in the supposedly professional railway enthusiast press. 

Paul