• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why is it so low?

Is it for those amongst us that squat rather than sit?:jester:

Of course it's so lo(w). 

I've never seen a double one.

(Awaits picture proving otherwise)!

On 03/12/2020 at 13:08, Metr0Land said:

Overdone the weathering?  Just say it was a coolant leak.  Paddington June 86 from my own files.

W43013 Paddington June86.jpg

Every HST power car will have had that livery variation at sometime, either high crankcase pressure or the turbo has decided to throw some oil.

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Not only that, he also nearly trips over that bit of cable with it still in his hands

Having watched several items of trackwork on Virtual Railfan, I can see why they are so much quicker doing track repairs than us in the UK.

The safety regime isn't so rigid and they do what I would consider corner cutting as well, often they don't have they correct machines and improvise with what they have.

I wonder what their safety record for track workers is?

A while back CN replaced the switch outside the iron works at Waupaca WI.

The replacement was a lesser turnout angle and somewhat longer, what followed was quite a bit of bodging to get it to fit.

They had to come back and do so more bodging as when they left first time there was a dreadful kink where the existing iron works siding connected to the new trackwork.

It still doesn't look right as the turnout angle is wrong for the curvature of the siding.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, billbedford said:

Is Elkhart, IN some sort of preservation site?

Yes

It is the New York Central museum opposite the Amtrak station

https://www.elkhartindiana.org/department/?fDD=54-0

There are Virtual Railfan cameras on both buildings to give views from both sides. (the Museum side cameras are subscription only)

Edited by melmerby

Unit 1006 was among those stored from 26th April 1986 - exactly a week after these photos - and 1005 was among those which joined it in withdrawal the next day .......... though some of the motor coaches were retained in working order for a little longer.

Incidentally - did anyone spot the odd track ? - Flat bottom running rail but bullhead check rail ! : -

159.21.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

You might well assume that - but you'd be wrong I'm afraid ! ...... a positioning move of some sort - 1005 reappeared shortly afterwards coupled behind set 1006 : -

159.24.jpg

.... Yes, Bopeep Junction : - 

159.20.jpg

The position of the shadows suggests mid-morning and the trees look largely devoid of leaves so I will speculate ...

In the Autumn they used to pilot some up trains with 33/2s if the rail conditions were poor and I have a vague idea in the back of my mind that if things were really bad and/or 33/2s were not available St. Leonards would occasionally improvise something like this which would come off at Tunbridge Wells hence being on the rear.  It *might* possibly be something like that. 

Edit.  Just noticed the picture was taken in April so bang goes that theory :blush:

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unit 1006 was among those stored from 26th April 1986 - exactly a week after these photos - and 1005 was among those which joined it in withdrawal the next day .......... though some of the motor coaches were retained in working order for a little longer.

Incidentally - did anyone spot the odd track ? - Flat bottom running rail but bullhead check rail ! : -

159.21.jpg

This got me to thinking-out of sheer curiosity, are/were there ever stretches of track with 1 FB running rail and the other BH? Is that even possible?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

This got me to thinking-out of sheer curiosity, are/were there ever stretches of track with 1 FB running rail and the other BH? Is that even possible?

How do you fix a bullhead check rail, with it's associated chair, to a flatbottom running rail?

Does that actually mean that running rail is another bullhead?

44 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Did not the combination of four power cars 1005 as two cars and 1006 as a full unit get used on a rail tour called the Little Long Drag over the S&C.

Keith

The Long Thin Drag was 2x power cars from 1001 plus two other 6-car units. Six Bells link here:

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/860412hr.htm

And some of my photos over in this thread (scroll down):

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/145102-railtour-photos-and-comments/

Edited by eastwestdivide
more info
  • Informative/Useful 1