Jump to content

Prototype for everything corner.


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Left a wagon too near to a radiator?

 

Brodsworth Colliery 1985

 

 

Brodsworth Colliery

 

 

Blimey, are those wagons wooden framed too? Must have been really ancient by 1985...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Model the current scene and want to drag the miserable real world situation onto your trainset? Add these stickers to the doors of your class 70!

IMG_20210113_193756.jpg.54c72bdfa95c191a6c3418795f34381b.jpg

Personally I can't think of anything worse, the escapism of the hobby means you can forget the rubbish the real world throws around, but each to their own. I know some people have added social distance graphics to the windows of their model passenger trains

 

Jo

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I am adding this image because I was not aware that 27s and push-pull sets worked across the Forth Bridge, but this appears to show otherwise. 

 

D5400 (I think) just south of Dalmeny. 

 

 

 

2021-01-15-0010.jpg.726982d14d063cc72e7b93d0d928c14e.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I am adding this image because I was not aware that 27s and push-pull sets worked across the Forth Bridge, but this appears to show otherwise. 

 

D5400 (I think) just south of Dalmeny. 

 

 

 

2021-01-15-0010.jpg.726982d14d063cc72e7b93d0d928c14e.jpg

 

 

 

 

There is a possibility it's a diversion due to Winchburgh tunnel being closed, therefore the train wouldn't have been across the bridge.

When such a closure occurs Eastbound trains turn off the E&G at Winchburgh Junction heading Northwards for Dalmeny. Once there they stop short of the station, reverse and then proceed South directly towards Edinburgh.

Westbound trains do the same in reverse.

In this image the train appears to be crossing from the down to the up line, which would fit in with just such a diversion.

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Bon Accord; it would make more sense, as I had not heard of push-pull services going north. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bon Accord said:

There is a possibility it's a diversion due to Winchburgh tunnel being closed, therefore the train wouldn't have been across the bridge.

When such a closure occurs Eastbound trains turn off the E&G at Winchburgh Junction heading Northwards for Dalmeny. Once there they stop short of the station, reverse and then proceed South directly towards Edinburgh.

 

That was a common event, even in recent times, often due to flooding at Winchburgh Tunnel or points failures at Newbridge Jc. However, no longer possible for the majority of services along the E&G, since electrification !

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

...... I was not aware that 27s and push-pull sets worked across the Forth Bridge, ......

OK, it's not a class 27 push-pull but it is a wee bit north of the Forth : - 

 

126.09.jpg

 

27/3/85

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

 

That was a common event, even in recent times, often due to flooding at Winchburgh Tunnel or points failures at Newbridge Jc. However, no longer possible for the majority of services along the E&G, since electrification !

 

Reversal could also happen if there was a problem on the lead loco. if minor, like the speedo, then the loco was still useful (i.e. shoving), if more serious, it at least let the train continue in service.

Also, if for some reason the BSO was not at the Glasgow end, then the train was supposed to be turned at the earliest opportunity.

Such  was the intensity of these services, they were kept running as much as possible - there were even horn codes (for signalboxes) when approaching Edinburgh or Glasgow, to signify the need for a new loco on arrival.

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2021 at 21:08, Wickham Green too said:

Reverse Bustitution ? ............... Not enough Pacer Skipper railbuses in traffic today ? - just put on a class 50 and four coach set instead ( Mk2c BSO, Mk2e TSO, Mk2e FO & Mk1 RBR ! - why didn't I record the numbers ??!? ) : -

 

194.14.jpg

 

Paignton to Newton Abbot, 4/9/86

GWR have announced that as a short-term replacement for the 143s, they will be using 3+2 HST sets

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, blackpete said:

GWR have announced that as a short-term replacement for the 143s, they will be using 3+2 HST sets

Is this for real? What routes? I'd love to be able to catch one from Starcross to Exeter Central, the climb from St David's would be great!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Is this for real? What routes? I'd love to be able to catch one from Starcross to Exeter Central, the climb from St David's would be great!

It's in January's Rail Express. They'd certainly have a great power to weight ratio

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackpete said:

It's in January's Rail Express. They'd certainly have a great power to weight ratio

Similar but not the same story on the Modern Railways site here, dated 24 Dec 20:

https://www.keymodernrailways.com/article/23-hsts-help-oust-gwr-pacers

 

which seems to say that while waiting for more sliding door conversions, they’re shuffling the existing trailers into sets of 3 instead of 4 in order to make best use of the power cars. That, together with a shuffle of other DMUs, means they can do without the pacers. I don’t think it implies 2+3 HSTs to Exmouth. 
 

Time to start watching the Dawlish webcam maybe, to work out what’s on what services. 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2021 at 19:14, montyburns56 said:

Why did the Sentinel cross the road?

 

River Don Works 1982

 

River Don Works Rail Finale

 

If I'm right in thinking, the railway there is long gone but the warning signeage is still beside the road.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackpete said:

GWR have announced that as a short-term replacement for the 143s, they will be using 3+2 HST sets

 

Three power cars and 2 coaches?.

Is the climb from St David's that steep?

 

:o

  • Like 1
  • Funny 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, newbryford said:

 

Three power cars and 2 coaches?.

Is the climb from St David's that steep?

 

:o

Enough to stall several steam specials in the last few years.

 

2 x 2-6-4T and a second one 76079 + 34067 Exeter Bank  there are more I think if you search YouTube.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.