Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2021 at 17:00, Courtybella said:

Class 57 hauling East Coast stock including driving van trailer to the cutters torch at Newport, South Wales.

Madness.

• Agree 13

11 minutes ago, Busmansholiday said:

You just know this was before the words "Risk Assessment" was involved in anything.

IMG_0596.JPG.e322bae3c706e6929951ebb283a4d12a.JPG

Hi There,

By using a correctly rated and appropriately positioned crane, with suitable lifting gear and slinging arrangements it would seem that the men in overalls in the 1960's were complete fools even before the the clever clogs in suits started interfering with absolutely everything from 1990 onwards.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

By using a correctly rated and appropriately positioned crane, with suitable lifting gear and slinging arrangements it would seem that the men in overalls in the 1960's were complete fools even before the the clever clogs in suits started interfering with absolutely everything from 1990 onwards.

Gibbo.

That said unless it is a trick of the light there are only 2 chains on that box, meaning it would be incredibly unstable (as evidenced by the angle of lean on the box). Also if it swings unexpectedly the guy stood on the wagon holding the corner is going to be speaking in a high pitched voice for a few hours if he slips and straddles one of the cross members. No doubt the lift was successfully achieved and no one got injured but 4 chains would have been sensible. I am no lover of risk assessments but by any reasonable standards that lift is dangerous.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

That said unless it is a trick of the light there are only 2 chains on that box, meaning it would be incredibly unstable (as evidenced by the angle of lean on the box). Also if it swings unexpectedly the guy stood on the wagon holding the corner is going to be speaking in a high pitched voice for a few hours if he slips and straddles one of the cross members. No doubt the lift was successfully achieved and no one got injured but 4 chains would have been sensible. I am no lover of risk assessments but by any reasonable standards that lift is dangerous.

Not only that but containers aren't really designed to be lifted in such a fashion, especially 40' boxes; they're designed to be lifted vertically on four points - the upper twistlock housings - using a spreader or similar. If a spreader isn't available then it's advisable to have the slings from crane hook to 'box as long as possible.

I've seen quite a few containers fold up and suffer structural failure when lifted like in that picture.

They probably got away with it there because the container was new and likely empty.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Not only that but containers aren't really designed to be lifted in such a fashion, especially 40' boxes; they're designed to be lifted vertically on four points - the upper twistlock housings - using a spreader or similar. If a spreader isn't available then it's advisable to have the slings from crane hook to 'box as long as possible.

I've seen quite a few containers fold up and suffer structural failure when lifted like in that picture.

They probably got away with it there because the container was new and likely empty.

I've seen the same happen with skips.

A company I worked for used to lift them with chains

if they needed moving around the yard.

If the skips were full or even sometimes part full,

this would result in the sides being pulled in,

which was ok until the company we hired them from

tried to stack another one in it when it was empty.

Eventually a spreader was made up for lifting the skips,

but it wasn't always used; sometimes it was just easier

to use a couple of chains, than go find the spreader. :)

Edited by rab
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

You just know this was before the words "Risk Assessment" was involved in anything.

I’m not going to go down the health as safety angle. I’m just going to say that I simply cannot look at those wagons without thinking of the classic triang Hornby model! It’s etched in the model railway consciousness!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, 37114 said:

He appears to be leaning against it with his legs braced and presumably trying to push it with his shoulder to line up with the lugs on the wagon.......utterly irresponsible, he's not even wearing a fluorescent jacket!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Back in those days nobody bothered about 'elf an' safety until someone got hurt - or worse ....... THEN mitigating measures might have been introduced. Nowadays lawyers are looking out for any possible opportunity for injury - however unlikely - and making it impossible ..................... and making it well nigh impossible to do some previously simple tasks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2021 at 21:20, Busmansholiday said:

Why've the containers got doors in the sides as well as the normal ones at one end?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Why've the containers got doors in the sides as well as the normal ones at one end?

I don't think they are side doors, just flat panels. Quite a few boxes have flat panels at the point, not sure on the purpose but often logos are placed there, one that springs to mind was Transamerica leasing boxes made use of it for their logos.

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Leeds Waterloo Main Colliery Railway 1959

Aren't these those LMS coaches that Mainline/Dapol made models of?

Possibly the non-gangwayed equivalent of the LMS coaches that Mainline/Dapol made models of .............. or something very similar of a late pre-grouping origin !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Possibly the non-gangwayed equivalent of the LMS coaches that Mainline/Dapol made models of .............. or something very similar of a late pre-grouping origin !

I’m pretty certain your right and that they are Period I non gangwayed stock.

No

13 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I’m pretty certain your right and that they are Period I non gangwayed stock.

No

They are not LMS coaches as they have panelled ends and truss rod underframes, LMS period 1 coaches had matchboard ends and angle trussing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/03/2021 at 02:43, simon b said:

The size of the locomotives is one thing, but the trains they pull can be difficult to grasp till you see one in full...

18000ft = 3.41 miles - 9 locos, 39,600 to 40,500hp, depending on make/model and power unit fitted...

• Like 2