Prototype for everything corner.

On 06/04/2021 at 10:25, Western Aviator said:

Same here. I’ve seen a few (maybe half a dozen) pictures of cross-country trains going to or from Scotland with a ScotRail-liveried coach in the formation but all of them were taken in the southwest of England. Of those that routed via the WCML, at least some of them would have had an electric loco on north of Birmingham but pictures are clearly scarce.

I wonder if that’s the same coach? I seem to remember that it was 5813 and like the one in the video it didn’t have Scotrail branding.

Canadian Pacific have resumed rebuilding their GE AC4400CW units into AC4400CWMs - 7 of them on their delivery run through Santa Fe Jct, Kansas City, MO at 13:55 in this video. A good mix of other units, BNSF, CSX and KCS, along with a sorry looking CP ES44AC, 9363...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That also suggests CP have gone back to the Golden Beaver... Yet another variation on the modern red (post Action Red/multimark/system).

Edited by daveyb
Typing with fat fingers
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, daveyb said:

That also suggests CP have gone back to the Golden Beaver... Yet another variation on the modern red (post Action Red/multimark/system).

For a while, I think. I’ve got a picture of a SD70ACU taken in August 2020 with the ‘Golden Rodent’ emblem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daveyb said:

3 hours ago, pH said:

For a while, I think. I’ve got a picture of a SD70ACU taken in August 2020 with the ‘Golden Rodent’ emblem.

They brought the beaver back in 1997.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/the-cp-logo

1 hour ago, LU_fan said:

They brought the beaver back in 1997.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/the-cp-logo

Then dropped it again. Without looking at a lot of photos to determine a date exactly, by 2006 at least, new/repainted engines did not have the Beaver. Until recently (again without being precise as to dates, but certainly by 2020), any engine still carrying the Beaver was an old repaint. Now, as discussed, it is re-appearing on new and repainted engines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

How old is that basic locomotive external design? 

Have they not progressed over the last half century?

I presume you mean the general shape shown in the video Talisman56 posted above. And I assume ‘the last half century’ is from the introduction of the wide cab to general use in the early 1970s. (By Canadian National, with input to the design by employees who were going to work in it.)

Why should they change it? It works, and since it hasn’t been changed, would appear to work well. How would you change it and why?

You do specify external shape. However, what’s inside has changed considerably in that time, most significantly in engines and transmissions, like AC motors. There have also been big improvements in crew facilities and safety, which don’t show on the outside.

And there have been some external changes, the most noticeable possibly being ‘gull wing’ radiators.

As I said, I’m interested in how you think the design should/could be changed.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The flat tailed rat was dropped due to cost in the mid 00s. Im not sure that all the SD70ACU received a beaver, but They re not as common around here as the GECs.

There are significant variations on the basic design. Hood units (GP/SD) changed in the 70s when CN developed the safety (wide) cab for their SD40-2 and Centuries, which has become almost a standard feature of road locos. That essentially is a return to the cowl/nose locos of the 40s and 50s (E and F varitions).

Many of the the passenger service locos reverted to single ended cowl designs in the 70s, simply losing the external walkways (FP40 etc through to Acela). Most freight locos kept the walkways but are single ended hood units.

Its only really smaller, switcher types that keep the 'drive both ways' cab on a cowl design. They have evolved rather than had a revolutionary redesign.

In short, I'm sorry to disagree but that 'basic design' of one varies hugely and really dates back nearly 170 years (engine one end, cab, other bits behind the cab - could describe a steam loco, an F Unit, a GP, or a new Acela type).

They have never really bothered with two cabs... those some exist

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Re. the CP 'Golden Beaver', from my observations it appears that only certain classes have the emblem applied, viz. GP38AC, SD70ACu (also in their previous SD9043MAC incarnation), and AC44CW (carried through to the rebuilt -M). The GP38-2 and ES44AC classes do not have it.

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Re. the CP 'Golden Beaver', from my observations it appears that only certain classes have the emblem applied ... The GP38-2 and ES44AC classes do not have it.

Some GP38-2s do have it:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp3026mfb.jpg

http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster Archive/CP 3000/CP 3090-5.jpg

Edited by pH
Came across another example.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

Presumably, it shows a permanent red!

Maybe it's like the palm trees in the T2 launch sequence in Thunderbirds and it folds down when a train passes on that track?

• Like 2
  • Funny 9