Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

Some of the mk1 Pullmans (PSP E347-354E) were downgraded to ordinary FO in b/g in BR days and so did not have the 'Pullman' legend. Away from books at the 'mo and can't find how many PSP were actually treated.

The 'Pullman' legend would seem to be an SLOA addition to the b/g livery, to reclaim a bit of the prestige of the stock until they would be repainted into umber/cream.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, keefer said:

Some of the mk1 Pullmans (PSP E347-354E) were downgraded to ordinary FO in b/g in BR days and so did not have the 'Pullman' legend. Away from books at the 'mo and can't find how many PSP were actually treated.

The 'Pullman' legend would seem to be an SLOA addition to the b/g livery, to reclaim a bit of the prestige of the stock until they would be repainted into umber/cream.

Yeah, that's why I posted them as usually they look like the Bachmann/Farish model.

E349E Liverpool Street

E349E Liverpool Street

1980-02-23 Pullman FO E350E York (converted from Parlour seconds 1969-72)  built 1960-1

• Like 17

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Radyr 1965

Transition at Radyr May 1965  Steam loco 5635 meets brand new class 37 D6839 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

One for the 'when the real thing looks like a model' thread?  The row of trees to disguise the backscene are nice, and the super-detailing job on the Triang-Hornby 37 is wonderful, but it could do with some weathering to remove that out-of-the-box plastic gloss ;)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ben B said:

.... and the super-detailing job on the Triang-Hornby 37 is wonderful, but it could do with some weathering to remove that out-of-the-box plastic gloss ;)

Yet they've done such a good job on the mineral wagons!

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Here is Car No 336 in original livery, but out of use at Wolverton in May 1972. 

1312720415_carno336wolverton572.jpg.c7e0a94c3886d84f8857920b5744b61d.jpg

Very nice, but my attention has been caught by the carriage to the left. Anyone able to identify it?

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, 50A55B said:

Very nice, but my attention has been caught by the carriage to the left. Anyone able to identify it?

Looks like an ex-GNR/LNER coach that went into departmental use.

Have you always liked the Bachmann slope sided minerals (the British Steel variants), but thought they were unsuitable for a 1970s BR blue layout? 

Here is one with 08008 at Worksop in 1975. 

479673097_08008worksop1975.jpg.033c475149cbcad1ddf6810753effaf5.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Have you always liked the Bachmann slope sided minerals (the British Steel variants), but thought they were unsuitable for a 1970s BR blue layout? 

Here is one with 08008 at Worksop in 1975. 

479673097_08008worksop1975.jpg.033c475149cbcad1ddf6810753effaf5.jpg

The BSC Corby ones lasted til the works closed in 1979.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

How often do locos on front line service get repainted? 5 years, 10 years?

Try more than 25 years  with this ex-Santa Fe loco with the only concession to it's 25+ year life under BNSF a now faded BNSF on the cab side:

182540833_santafe1.JPG.e2b69806b38ac61d5e62afc30782d358.JPG

At least some have been tarted up but still retain the basic Santa Fe livery:

2049666727_santafe.JPG.ede7eb58e85c9fc70fd4de77c06d6a9c.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Fulfilling my fetish for pictures of steam locos pulling blue grey coaches.

All from the David Brabham Collection

Black 5 No. 45254 at Carnforth Station June 1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

44825 leaving Kents Bank station June 1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection 70025 WESTERN STAR at Kents Bank station June 1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

44864 at Grange over Sands July 1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

70038 Robin Hood at Grange Over Sands July 1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

70023 VENUS southbound at Oxenholme 1st July  1967 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

Any idea what the bottom one, the green, blue/grey, maroon  IM31 working  with the Brit seen at Oxenholme is?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would assume that the Brit photo would have been taken in 1967, 1966 at the earliest. According to the 1969 Working Timetable, which is the closest I have to 1967, 1M31 was the 0745 Saturday only, Dundee to Blackpool North. If so, that could explain the mixed bag of coaches. 1M31 was one of the trains that ran through Preston twice on it`s way to the coast. First, the train would pass through the East Lancs side of Preston Station to run up to Todd Lane Junction before  passing Lostock Hall shed and returning via Farington Curve Junction back through Preston and on to Blackpool. A lot of the Saturday only trains seemed to keep the same reporting number year in year out. Hope this helps, Nige.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

I would assume that the Brit photo would have been taken in 1967, 1966 at the earliest. According to the 1969 Working Timetable, which is the closest I have to 1967, 1M31 was the 0745 Saturday only, Dundee to Blackpool North. If so, that could explain the mixed bag of coaches. 1M31 was one of the trains that ran through Preston twice on it`s way to the coast. First, the train would pass through the East Lancs side of Preston Station to run up to Todd Lane Junction before  passing Lostock Hall shed and returning via Farington Curve Junction back through Preston and on to Blackpool. A lot of the Saturday only trains seemed to keep the same reporting number year in year out. Hope this helps, Nige.

This for me confirms an old memory.  As a youngster around this period I used to stand on the bridge at Whifflet Junction Coatbridge spotting during the summer holidays and I have this memory of a passenger train going north which had a green, Blue grey, Maroon combination as its first three coaches.  As it would not have been a Saturday I reckon now that I have probably seen this set as ECS heading north to Dundee to take up this working.  I would think that the Britannia would have worked the train from Carlisle as by May 1967 the Scottish Region had finished with all internal steam working (except for the famous J36 at Seafield) and were trying to avoid steam workings in and out of  the region from the LMR as most of the coaling and watering facilities had been closed.  Derek Cross did photograph a few exceptions but recorded that any locos coming north had to be sent back as soon as possible, I would doubt very much if this loco had worked the train through from Dundee

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, nigb55009 said:

The caption on Flickr says "70023 VENUS southbound at Oxenholme 1st July 1967"

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Monty, I didn`t look at Flickr it was more of a guess than anything. I have managed to find a photo of the return working, also in 1967, headed by  a Black 5 (1045 ex Blackpool). Also a Britannia hauled 1S35, which the caption says is the 1045 Blackpool to Edinburgh. I may have another, slightly older WTT, so I may be able to confirm which is correct. The return Dundee service doesn`t to be in the 1969 WTT. So, as they say, watch this space.

• RMweb Gold

The oddity to me is why that lone S Region coach is in a north west rake? Had it been transferred between regions but not yet repainted? 

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1