Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, great central said:

The three volume set is 'the the rise and fall of Nottingham's railways' 

The one referred to above has the 'back line' as a subtitle, but I can't remember the full title.

I'll have a look see if I can find it for you

Edit: found it for you

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/booklaw-publications/great-northern-railway-the-back-line.html

Yep - this is the book I was talking about.

Rob

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Bet nobody was hurt too. 

Mainly because they had been told by their mothers "If you fall off that engine and break your legs, don't come running to me crying, and expect some sympathy". 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, great central said:

The three volume set is 'the the rise and fall of Nottingham's railways' 

The one referred to above has the 'back line' as a subtitle, but I can't remember the full title.

I'll have a look see if I can find it for you

Edit: found it for you

https://www.booklaw.co.uk/booklaw-publications/great-northern-railway-the-back-line.html

Oh thanks. That is a completely different book, and I think I might have misunderstood your original post. 

I would love all of the books on Nottingham, not that I originate from the city - but I did used to go trainspotting there as a young boy, and only discovered the details of fascinating web of lines in the area after many had already closed. 

The problem is, can I afford them all - and do I have the shelf space, without SWMBO issuing a cease and desist order? 

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

I wonder if because youngsters are exposed to risk in their formative years they don’t understand how to assess risk as an adult.

Think you have that backwards. If people are not exposed to risks as children then they never learn how to assess risks as adults. 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Think you have that backwards. If people are not exposed to risks as children then they never learn how to assess risks as adults. 

How many people do actually assess risks? How many simply think or say "it's never happened before, so it won't happen now"?

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2021 at 21:07, leopardml2341 said:

One BSK regularly made it to Manchester, electrically hauled........

The very coach I always sought out when travelling the proper way between Sheffield and bandit country, it was no different, just a novelty I suppose., A resident of Nunnery Carriage Sidings, I think I've quoted it's number elsewhere on the forum, and as someone has mentioned earlier, it sometimes escaped at weekends for a trip to the seaside.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The very coach I always sought out when travelling the proper way between Sheffield and bandit country, it was no different, just a novelty I suppose., A resident of Nunnery Carriage Sidings, I think I've quoted it's number elsewhere on the forum, and as someone has mentioned earlier, it sometimes escaped at weekends for a trip to the seaside.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

The Woodhead doesn't go anywhere near the GWR* !

* 10p in the swear box, apologies to Clive also.

Gibbo.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

16T wagons used as steel coil carriers

Llanharan 1963

72xx passes 4675 at Llanharan July  1963 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection (Scanned WRONG WAY AROUND)

Is this image reversed? The signal arms are sticking out the wrong way and the coil train looks bang road to me...

Edited by talisman56
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

Is this image reversed? The signal arms are sticking out the wrong way and the coil train looks bang road to me...

Yes, the wagon numbers are backwards and at the wrong ends.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I apologise if this has been on before, and for only posting a link, however I wasn’t sure of copyright etc. However it’s the first time I’ve seen it and maybe if new some might be interested.  Be warned it is a Facebook page link for those who think they are the devil’s spawn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/695691077260207/permalink/1843878849108085/

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2021 at 18:58, montyburns56 said:

The Pannier/County combo is quite interesting in itself, but according to a Flickr comment by our very own Wagon Paul that's a twin jib track panel crane behind the pannier.

Castle Cary October 1963 

1028 County of warwick and 9497 at Castle Cary October 1963 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

Note prototype part built kit signal box. Just needs brick paper, roof and painting but got bored and started something else.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PhilH said:

I apologise if this has been on before, and for only posting a link, however I wasn’t sure of copyright etc. However it’s the first time I’ve seen it and maybe if new some might be interested.  Be warned it is a Facebook page link for those who think they are the devil’s spawn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/695691077260207/permalink/1843878849108085/

It's fine.

That opens as a proper picture and doesn't need any fancy tricks to see it

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Were they a conversion specifically for this traffic?

The are a mod but not much of one. They probably have the end door sealed and coil cradle added as per the coil J and RTB minerals. The end door stripe has been removed/painted out!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1