Jump to content

Prototype for everything corner.


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

In preview form on a phone that looked like a uk shot with a class 24 at the head of the train. 

 

When Lima modelled one of those, they used a class 33. I had one once. 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2021 at 23:28, Merfyn Jones said:

Also B R had a number of Scammell Scarab units with trailers based in Dublin to deliver the containers.  Later they had some larger units for the Freightliner boxes.

I remember reading some official BR minutes at the NRM about how many containers were 'lost' in Ireland and what could be done to get them returned more readily.

 

Paul

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the Metrovick GT reminds me to ask:

Why were BR seemingly reluctant to use electric marker lights?

MI classes had them as well as some late kettles but very often oil lamps are being used instead.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll find that those late kettles Bulleid & Thompson/Peppercorn steam locomotives were used on lines where headcode DISCS were commonplace .......... the lamps fitted were so feeble - in todays thinking - that something extra had to be done to make them visible in daylight.

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think you'll find that those late kettles Bulleid & Thompson/Peppercorn steam locomotives were used on lines where headcode DISCS were commonplace .......... the lamps fitted were so feeble - in todays thinking - that something extra had to be done to make them visible in daylight.

Some of the later Black 5s also had them, such as preserved (4)4767. Did the LMS/LMR use discs?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Some of the later Black 5s also had them, such as preserved (4)4767. Did the LMS/LMR use discs?


44767 did not have them while still in BR service. Here’s a picture of it in November 1967:

 

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/44767-backing-onto-carlisle-kingmoor-shed-november-1967.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

They were removed by BR, I'm sure she and the other Fives still had them in 1948 and for quite a while after. The last two Pacifics, 6256 and 6257 also got them but had them removed long before the end.

 

I don't think the turbo-generator system was too reliable and, as ever, maintenance costs were deemed excessive. Since, when the generator failed, they had to run with oil headlamps at night anyway, why not provide them during daylight too?

  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

I don't think the turbo-generator system was too reliable and, as ever, maintenance costs were deemed excessive. 

I am sure that I read that there was also a demarcation problem: electrical equipment could not be serviced by mechanical fitters. I wonder how many steam sheds had a large contingent of electrical fitters? 

  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:


Surely one of the strangest combinations ever featured on this thread?

There’s something about the photo that looks right even though I know it isn’t in any way whatsoever!

 

A kettle, oops sorry, steam loco getting pushed by a diesel.....yes seems about right!

:jester:

(I suppose the S160 is one of the few steam locos that are authentically AB.

Had BR taken on a few, and had steam lasted another decade, it could well have happened in real life)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

 

I don't think the turbo-generator system was too reliable and, as ever, maintenance costs were deemed excessive. Since, when the generator failed, they had to run with oil headlamps at night anyway, why not provide them during daylight too?

Didn't seem to be a problem in the USA with electric lights on steam locos.

Why not just a wheel driven dynamo to a regulator & battery like on road vehicles?

They seemed to be pretty reliable.

On 02/10/2021 at 17:03, Wickham Green too said:

. the lamps fitted were so feeble - in todays thinking - that something extra had to be done to make them visible in daylight.

See above, IIRC road vehicles at that time had 36-48W head lights that worked pretty well.

 

12 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

I am sure that I read that there was also a demarcation problem: electrical equipment could not be serviced by mechanical fitters. I wonder how many steam sheds had a large contingent of electrical fitters? 

 

That sounds plausible.

 

Edited by melmerby
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Didn't seem to be a problem in the USA with electric lights on steam locos.

Why not just a wheel driven dynamo to a regulator & battery like on road vehicles?

They seemed to be pretty reliable.

Whatever the situation across the Pond, that's how they were powered over here: steam turbo. A wheel driven generator might have worked better; perhaps you could nip back eighty years to tell them! Of course, it would also need a battery.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

... I suppose the S160 is one of the few steam locos that are authentically AB. Had BR taken on a few,  ...

Don't forget BR did take on rather more than a few W.D. 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s, every one of which at least started out with Westinghouse brakes ............ and then there were a number of 'Great Eastern' and 'Brighton' locos still fitted ........ maybe even a few in Scotland.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Whatever the situation across the Pond, that's how they were powered over here: steam turbo. A wheel driven generator might have worked better; perhaps you could nip back eighty years to tell them! Of course, it would also need a battery.

Didn't some of the B1s get wheel - mounted generators?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Didn't some of the B1s get wheel - mounted generators?

 

Yes, Metropolitan-Vickers generators. The Vulcan Foundry batch of B1s, 1140-1189, and some others had them.  See for example the photo of 1165 in Mike Megginson's thread on here:

Apparently they didn't always stay attached. They certainly weren't long-lived - out of use by 1951 or so.

 

 

Simon

Edited by 65179
Added link to photo
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

I am sure that I read that there was also a demarcation problem: electrical equipment could not be serviced by mechanical fitters. I wonder how many steam sheds had a large contingent of electrical fitters? 

Several depots relied on the ODM electricians for servicing the lighting along with the AWS batteries.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...