Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR(S) said:

ISTR that single power cars had to have a coupling converter if the PC should fail  on route and could be pushed from behind.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

ISTR that single power cars had to have a coupling converter if the PC should fail  on route and could be pushed from behind.

From the days when such things were important and still should be today.  Hardly anything is compatible with each other . Even if trains have similar couplers they are often at different heights 

2 hours ago, russ p said:

From the days when such things were important and still should be today.  Hardly anything is compatible with each other . Even if trains have similar couplers they are often at different heights 

So the Triang Hornby R577 converter coupling coal wagon (and the horse box) was actually way ahead of its time (prototype wise)

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

So the Triang Hornby R577 converter coupling coal wagon (and the horse box) was actually way ahead of its time (prototype wise)

Jim

Back in the day some rolling stock had provision for alternative couplings.

e.g. Trix Whisky Wagons came with the Trix version of the Peco coupling but also mountings for Triang Tension Locks. (IIRC because Triang also sold them)

I had one with Trix one end & T/L the other so I could run mixed rakes, I had some Trix Speedlink wagons and some Hornby Dublo wagons as well as Triang stuff..

How about a loco with wooden drivers?

975050699_locowithMansellwheels.png.7bce97a36925d841c71ef83e282ffb59.png

Two of the South Eastern Railways "standard goods" ran for a time with Mansell wheels. (Richard Mansell was an employee of the SER at the time, he even served as an interim CME). The experiment was not deemed a success

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

48 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Two of the South Eastern Railways "standard goods" ran for a time with Mansell wheels. (Richard Mansell was an employee of the SER at the time, he even served as an interim CME). The experiment was not deemed a success

I dont see why not - as long as you do the electrical pickup from the tender wheels.   

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, whart57 said:

S&M No.1  "Gazelle" also has Mansell wheels.

59 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I dont see why not - as long as you do the electrical pickup from the tender wheels.   

Why?

The metal tyres are still in contact with the track.

On 09/11/2021 at 21:24, Michael Hodgson said:

It would need a decent size goods loop if you want to let an express passenger pass it. 

And it's going to take while to sort out if it gets a hot box on the 547th wagon.

Pity the poor Guard walking to the box to comply with rule 55.

One of my old drivers had worked commissioning the Sishen iron-ore line in South Africa. They had a trail bike on the front loco in case they had to go back along the train for whatever reason. Occasionally, there might be a coupling failure; a new coupling would be brought in by helicopter, which also served as a crane to swap new for old.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

One of my old drivers had worked commissioning the Sishen iron-ore line in South Africa. They had a trail bike on the front loco in case they had to go back along the train for whatever reason. Occasionally, there might be a coupling failure; a new coupling would be brought in by helicopter, which also served as a crane to swap new for old.

That line is electrified so how did the helicopter winch cable avoid touching the 50kV OHL wires doing the above?

Carrying any sort of load under a helicopter is inherently dangerous and pilots normally keep well clear of any overhead cables, whether electrified or not.  Gusts of wind or turbulence can take a helicopter away from its course or the position it is trying to hold.  If the aircraft develops an emergency the captain may need to jettison its cargo.  In case of engine failure, the pilot may need  to put the machine into auto-rotate and find somewhere nearby to make an emergency landing.

It would be usual to touch any wire hanging from a helicopter to ground to discharge static electricity before attaching it to anything.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 16:57, Welly said:

That line is electrified so how did the helicopter winch cable avoid touching the 50kV OHL wires doing the above?

I would have thought the helicopter could just land alongside the line & hand over the coupling to be fitted by the train crew. I really don't see the need for the coupling to be changed from the air :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

On 15/11/2021 at 19:14, Ramblin Rich said:

I would have thought the helicopter could just land alongside the line & hand over the coupling to be fitted by the train crew. I really don't see the need for the coupling to be changed from the air :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Probably down to how much the train crew could lift; these would be somewhat heavier than a UIC screw coupling.