Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

I was at Basingstoke station some years ago when a container train passed through platform 4 heading for Reading, and a large round buffer head on one of the wagons neatly skimmed a few millimetres off the edge of the platform for most of its length.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

I was at Basingstoke station some years ago when a container train passed through platform 4 heading for Reading, and a large round buffer head on one of the wagons neatly skimmed a few millimetres off the edge of the platform for most of its length.

There was also the one with a high container loaded by mistake, that took out much of the canopy on platform one...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Fancy hand painting your loco number or maybe having a go at home made transfers (decals in some parts of the world)?  Don't worry if they're not quite to the standard of the Rail Alphabet.

Class 37 37081 Loch Long - Eastfield Depot T.M.D. Glasgow by David Burrell, on Flickr

And don't worry if you've run out of number 4's on your transfer sheet or haven't mastered making a double arrow logo.

15.jpg.eca03de351b1946ea3edf4916147add0.jpg

(4)7 640 on the 11:30 Glasgow Central to Stranraer, leaving Ayr on 25/02/86. (my pic)

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

ISTR the 37/4s when first converted had numbers that looked hand-painted but much better quality than 081 shown above! The numbers were the right shape but just a bit thinner than usual.

Edited by keefer

On 11/01/2022 at 22:38, Boris said:

At 6:05 unless my eyesight is playing tricks on me there is a 101 dmu with a green trailing car, and a blue leading car which still has a green roof above the cantrail!  

Also interesting is the first of the rake of three ex NE hoppers (just before the DMU) which appears to have had roller bearing axle boxes fitted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here’s a shot of an HST operating a passenger service minus the rear power car. A YouTube clip featuring a similar working in Cornwall has been posted here before. Coincidentally, both workings had a red BG on the rear.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/43020_Norton_Fitzwarren_1991.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/01/2022 at 19:02, leopardml2341 said:

Also interesting is the first of the rake of three ex NE hoppers (just before the DMU) which appears to have had roller bearing axle boxes fitted.

The later builds of what would become HTO and HTV were built with roller bearings and BR required any wagons sent for scrapping had to have roller bearings (and screwlink and instanter couplings) returned for re-use. So roller bearings spread through the fleet of wagons with a tonnage greater than 20. 

see later part of https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br21thopperweld and related collections. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Here’s a shot of an HST operating ......... BG on the rear.

Obviously attaching something with buffers simplifies the options for sorting things out at Paddington - but I wonder if it's necessary to carry a tail lamp ? ...... do the trailers - which, in theory, should never be at the rear - lack lamp irons ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 31/01/2022 at 17:10, BR(S) said:

At 2:25, a Class 85 hauling a couple of EMUs, Mk2s, white roof Mk1s, a GUV and a BG:

I would guess that the units are 303060 and 303082 which had been in store after they were displaced from the Manchester area services.   Only three units returned north to Glasgow from Manchester, the celebrity 303048 in July 1989 and 303060/082 following a period of storage in May 1992, neither of the latter two units return to service, and languished at  Yoker and Shields Road depots before being cut up by MC Metals in March 1994.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 21:19, Mark Saunders said:

A bit like Manchester Airport where they wouldn’t put any money into building it so Regional Railways made sure that the platforms and crossovers were too short for Inter City trains!

How childish of Regional Railways.

• RMweb Gold

Superficially yes, but shortening the distances allows a more intensive service to be operated on the branch.

It's all down to business needs/traffic flows.

Kev.