Prototype for everything corner.

Can anyone point me to, or provide, further details about this?

I have searched on Google, but as I am not sure about the exact whereabouts it is not so simple.

The unit is 156403 and the date on the slide mount says 2/92, so winter of 1991/2 would be right.

attachicon.gifScan-160126-0005.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31074376@N06/4304995516

Near Ely according to this

Can anyone point me to, or provide, further details about this?

I have searched on Google, but as I am not sure about the exact whereabouts it is not so simple.

The unit is 156403 and the date on the slide mount says 2/92, so winter of 1991/2 would be right.

attachicon.gifScan-160126-0005.jpg

It was a derailment following a collision with a lorry near Ely- part of the lorry is visible just to the right of the tree in the foreground, I think.

"

February 19, 1992 Dimmocks Cote, Cambridgeshire 156.403

45 passengers and the driver of a Sprinter service required hospital attention after their train hit a lorry on Dimmocks Cote level crossing, 4 miles south of Ely.

The collision occurred just after 09:38 as the 156.403 forming the 08:48 Stansted Airport to Liverpool Lime Street was crossing the A1123 road between Soham and Stretham.

The leading vehicle 57403 was completely derailed and dropped down a 15 foot embankment before coming to rest in a field.

Repairs to 57403 were undertaken at BRML Doncaster and completed in November. 

Source:- http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_mishaps.htm

• RMweb Gold

The Eurostar depot was across the main lines from Longsight and the sign "le Eurostar habit ici" did remain in place for a long time but has now gone, the depot seems disused but has been used by Alstom to bring 175s into traffic, the wheel lathe on the site is well used though

The depot is used by Alstom for a lot of maintenance work. As it was built to take a Eurostar North of London set it can lift a complete 11-car Pendolino. IIRC it has also been used for overnight checks on XC Voyagers under contract.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Looking at the photos I have of them in BR livery, the legend "Sprinter" seems to be on them up until about 156440 and then "Super Sprinter" after that.

Although that is by no means a scientific survey of the whole class, and 156431 has no wording at all on the photo I have of it.

• RMweb Gold

As an adjunct to this, at various points between Calais (Riviere Neuve) yard and Calais Ville station are to be seen SNCF signs for a 'Piste Cyclable'; nothing odd in this, except that the signs are in French and English.  An image comes to mind of a smartly-attired E* driver getting his bike out of the cab, putting on his cycle clips and high-visibility cape, and cycling off to look for his lodgings.

And of course - back into prototype for everything territory - the lines between the Tunnel and into Calais Ville station were equipped with BR AWS.

• RMweb Gold

The depot is used by Alstom for a lot of maintenance work. As it was built to take a Eurostar North of London set it can lift a complete 11-car Pendolino. IIRC it has also been used for overnight checks on XC Voyagers under contract.

Longsight is currently doing the H4 service programme on Pendolinos. That seems to be the equivalent of a heavy gerneral in old money. Last year they opened a new bogie shop which can overhaul the complete set of bogies for an 11-car set in a week. they are now putting in a £1m parts warehouse.

For those who have found just the right model car for their train, but it is only available in one colour.

I wouldn't think by the time those cars arrived they were still very white!

Mind you a couple of years later they would have all been rust orange!

Atb

Nik

s92212 hatton bank 11:7:66.jpg

And with a collapsed n/s front sub-frame.

These 3 rather poor quality images are screen grabs from a video sequence at Nottingham Victoria in 1960.

I knew I had this video somewhere, but it has taken ages to find the clip; however it maybe relevant to anyone who wants an excuse to run a brand new class 71 behind a dirty steam loco in the East Midlands during that time period. 

This is E5021 being towed through the station on its way to the SR by a WD 2-8-0, and I presume others in the class may have come the same way.

post-4474-0-91798400-1454063230.jpg

post-4474-0-62209000-1454063232.jpg

post-4474-0-17629400-1454063234.jpg

Edited, to say that after studying the images more closely E5021 appears to be without the pantograph. I don't know if all the class were delivered this way and the roof mountings and pantographs came separately.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 13

...Edited, to say that after studying the images more closely E5021 appears to be without the pantograph. I don't know if all the class were delivered this way and the roof mountings and pantographs came separately.

Roof mountings and pantos in a little poly bag probably.

Seriously, I wonder if it could have been a safety measure (couldn't they just have tied it down though?)

And would the 3rd rail shoes also have been potentially an out of gauge hazard?

Definitely prototype for everything though. Excellent.

• Like 1

I have posted this on another thread, I think, but while on the subject of screen grabs from 1960s videos here is a WD heading a long train of MGR hoppers through Normanton.

Presumably the train would be worked similarly to a loose coupled unfitted one, as the loco had no air brakes.

post-4474-0-22366900-1454147422_thumb.png

post-4474-0-87589500-1454147430_thumb.png

• Like 10

Wife found one for sale last night, 1967,42k on the clock, only £2000

A bit more than one cost new in 67. Wish I could find one of the first twenty badge engineered Riley 1300's.

I have posted this on another thread, I think, but while on the subject of screen grabs from 1960s videos here is a WD heading a long train of MGR hoppers through Normanton.

Presumably the train would be worked similarly to a loose coupled unfitted one, as the loco had no air brakes.

During early to mid 1967 it was quite common to see J27's & Q6 hauling rakes of MGRs around North Tyneside and South East Northumberland. Must try and dig out some photo's.

• Like 1