Prototype for everything corner.

If somebody with any knowledge of proper procedures had been to the rear of the train and seen that there was no tail lamp, they would have found one and put it there, and done a continuity test at the same time.  All that is required is that the train pipe cock is opened and the brakes confirmed to be on on the rear 8 axles.  If there is no tail lamp and there should be, it means that no such person has been to the rear of the train.  It is the guard's responsibility to ensure that this is done, and to sign the 'load slip' which is the driver's authority to take the train out.

What has probably happened is that the tank has been added to the load by yard staff somewhere who have assured the traincrew that all is in order, and the traincrew have taken their word for it.  Sloppy, shoddy, and potentially dangerous.  I wonder if the brake pipes were even connected on it!  Note that I am extrapolating that something along these lines accounts for the situation, and not stating it to be fact or accusing anyone of anything, but I'll bet you the next round that if you removed the tank wagon, you'd see a tail lamp and the brake hoses properly stowed with the cocks shut on the rear container wagon...

Sorry johnster but i have to disagree, I think you are jumping to big conclusions, and making some serious accusations. The railway is a very different place to when you were there in the seventies. whilst a mistake has clearly been made, I would be extremely surprised if the train had left without a brake test, it is all recorded on the loco (although admittedly it can be deceived) and things are checked and taken seriously these days if any safety of line event happens and it is very unlikely that a driver would take a chance and not have asked for a test. As for train prep when you were a guard you were only interested in the one train, a shunter may be preparing several trains at once nowadays and if a lamp is missing you can no longer just simply pinch another from the train on the next road, very often lamps are in short supply (hence why you often see lamps with EWS or DB written on them on the back of freightliner train and vice versa) and the preparer would probably have to walk back to the shunters cabin for one and if as I said he was trying to do several things at once, things get forgotten.

As for the tail lamp being in place on the liner wagon, that is not the case as the bracket can be seen the photo. I looked for that when the photo was first posted! :lol:  

Edited by 101

If somebody with any knowledge of proper procedures had been to the rear of the train and seen that there was no tail lamp, they would have found one and put it there, and done a continuity test at the same time.  All that is required is that the train pipe cock is opened and the brakes confirmed to be on on the rear 8 axles.  If there is no tail lamp and there should be, it means that no such person has been to the rear of the train.  It is the guard's responsibility to ensure that this is done, and to sign the 'load slip' which is the driver's authority to take the train out.

What has probably happened is that the tank has been added to the load by yard staff somewhere who have assured the traincrew that all is in order, and the traincrew have taken their word for it.  Sloppy, shoddy, and potentially dangerous.  I wonder if the brake pipes were even connected on it!  Note that I am extrapolating that something along these lines accounts for the situation, and not stating it to be fact or accusing anyone of anything, but I'll bet you the next round that if you removed the tank wagon, you'd see a tail lamp and the brake hoses properly stowed with the cocks shut on the rear container wagon...

Photo caption suggests that the tank arrived at Eastleigh on the back of the train and should have been detached in the yard but wasn't.  No information one way or another as to whether the train formation was changed at Eastleigh or whether it arrived there without a tail lamp.  All that can be said for certain is that it left Eastleigh without a tail lamp.

Photo caption suggests that the tank arrived at Eastleigh on the back of the train and should have been detached in the yard but wasn't.  No information one way or another as to whether the train formation was changed at Eastleigh or whether it arrived there without a tail lamp.  All that can be said for certain is that it left Eastleigh without a tail lamp.

Maybe the lamp was detached at Eastleigh and and train went on its way before the tank was detached too !!?! 

Just in case you can't afford any MK3.

http://www.railway-centre.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/pod-07-11-18_1_orig.jpg

Citation "07-11-18. On 6 November 2018, two East Midlands Trains HST Power Cars are captured in transit from Leeds Neville Hill Depot to Derby Etches Park Depot, and recorded heading past Sandal & Agbrigg. Leading (right) is ex-Grand Central No. 43465 hauling original EMT liveried No. 43073. The with subtle livery differences can be seen. photo by Peter Marsh"  http://www.railway-centre.com/november.html

• RMweb Premium

In Berlin, between Hackescher Markt and Friedrichstrasse stations (presumably heading west).

I'll take your word for it!

It was definitely Berlin, and Friedrichstrasse sounds about right...

Just in case you can't afford any MK3.

http://www.railway-centre.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/pod-07-11-18_1_orig.jpg

Citation "07-11-18. On 6 November 2018, two East Midlands Trains HST Power Cars are captured in transit from Leeds Neville Hill Depot to Derby Etches Park Depot, and recorded heading past Sandal & Agbrigg. Leading (right) is ex-Grand Central No. 43465 hauling original EMT liveried No. 43073. The with subtle livery differences can be seen. photo by Peter Marsh"  http://www.railway-centre.com/november.html

Yes it's a nice comparison of the two liveries.

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't look like it gets a lot of use anyway .........

Give the size of the gap they obviously couldn’t get the holes to line up. Not ideal, but allowable for a short term fix while a permanent fix is sorted. Given it’s on a IBJ, and looking at the condition of it, TCF waiting to happen!!

• RMweb Premium

... allowable for a short term fix ...

As far as I can recall, it has been like this since the Selby area EROS resignalling which was undertaken during Railtrack days - so that is 15+ years and counting.

• RMweb Gold

Wonkey decals on your locos...? Worry not...!

attachicon.gifFB 7017 SF 050974 Stuart Williams.jpg

(Photo by Stuart Williams at Old Oak, 5th September 1974)

Interesting pic ^^^ I always thought the Hymeks retained their cast numbers?

All except 7017 IIRC

Phil

Yes, 7017 had all of it's cast numbers removed during a complete repaint in the Factory at Old Oak in the Summer of '74, the vinyl numbers were added under the driver's window only on each side. 7076 also had one set removed at one end only and vinyls added in their place.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Interesting pic ^^^ I always thought the Hymeks retained their cast numbers?

Hi There,

I think that 7017 had had an accident and the cast numbers didn't survive the rebuild of the cab, someone will have the full details of the reason.

Gibbo