Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77456/2018/11/16/advanced

1V62 Glasgow to Plymouth 16th November 2018

Heading south from BNS - but left New Street after it passed Lifford West Jct !!??!!

Guess what - left BNS, ran via University to Lifford West ....when due to signalling failure further south it was routed around Lifford curve , along the Camp Hill line and back in to New street via Proof House Junction

Prototypical round and roundy anyone?

It then left New Street again via Soho, Rowley Regis Kidderminster and Worcester - not surprisingly 111 minutes down at Cheltenham, made up 31 of that by Plymouth.

I was on the following 1V64 Edinburgh - Plymouth which only left New Street once, again to travel via Kidderminster, only 91 mins down at Cheltenham. Thank goodness this was a 125 set!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77473/2018/11/16/advanced.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77456/2018/11/16/advanced

1V62 Glasgow to Plymouth 16th November 2018

Heading south from BNS - but left New Street after it passed Lifford West Jct !!??!!

Guess what - left BNS, ran via University to Lifford West ....when due to signalling failure further south it was routed around Lifford curve , along the Camp Hill line and back in to New street via Proof House Junction

Prototypical round and roundy anyone?

It then left New Street again via Soho, Rowley Regis Kidderminster and Worcester - not surprisingly 111 minutes down at Cheltenham, made up 31 of that by Plymouth.

I was on the following 1V64 Edinburgh - Plymouth which only left New Street once, again to travel via Kidderminster, only 91 mins down at Cheltenham. Thank goodness this was a 125 set!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77473/2018/11/16/advanced.

Phil

It's not unusual to see an ECS XC train run out of NS around the West Suburban line back via the Camp Hill line and into a different platform.

If you want roundy-roundy you can also go NS-Soho- Perry Barr-Aston-NS.

Keith

EDIT

RTT gets a bit confused when such a train (1V62) does that sort of journey.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Not normally seen, as most photos are 'Approaching', but this caught my eye earlier this evening.

https://flic.kr/p/29eBi2y

One of Ernie Brack's wonderful collection.

Try getting away with this on a model.

PS, it may be my eyesight, but I cannot see any side lamps on the van.

Regards

Ian

Fully fitted train, so no side lamps required, plus the brake van isn't the last vehicle.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, no side lamps needed.  And up to two vehicles, 4 axles, can be marshalled behind the van provided the continuous brake test proves that the automatic vacuum brake is working on all 4 axles.  It doesn't seem to have been a very common feature, except in regard to ECML fully fitted freight trains for some reason.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

I understand that the ECML guards liked to put some vehicle behind the van to steady it.

Understandable; some of those class Cs were pretty fast trains; 60mph was allowed for 10' wheelbase stock in those days and probably interpreted liberally by drivers of the V2s and pacifics used on some of them.  The LNER 20ton brake van, the basis of the BR standard vehicle, was not a steady runner as the ballast, outboard of the axles, encouraged a rocking ride that worsened as the mileage piled up.  Even in my day when the speeds had been cut to 45mph for short wheelbase wagons after a series of derailments culminating in the one at Thirsk that destroyed DP2, things could get a bit hairy!

Edited by The Johnster

Whilst looking around Flickr, I happened across this pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53299842@N08/6891260783/in/album-72157626141991421/

I didn't realise travelling cranes were continuous brake fitted.

They are "kind of" fitted most of the larger (steam ones, can't vouch for the diesel stuff) ones have a vacuum cylinder or two on the job runner, its not that common to have them on the crane itself as space was at a premium for gubbins such as self propelling gear.  The cylinders on the runner are on the lightest vehicle in the consist and aren't massively effective when braking 100+ tons of crane.

They are "kind of" fitted most of the larger (steam ones, can't vouch for the diesel stuff) ones have a vacuum cylinder or two on the job runner, its not that common to have them on the crane itself as space was at a premium for gubbins such as self propelling gear.  The cylinders on the runner are on the lightest vehicle in the consist and aren't massively effective when braking 100+ tons of crane.

I was surprised to see a pic of a crane running without a brake van.

• RMweb Gold

It's not unusual to see an ECS XC train run out of NS around the West Suburban line back via the Camp Hill line and into a different platform.

If you want roundy-roundy you can also go NS-Soho- Perry Barr-Aston-NS.

Keith

EDIT

RTT gets a bit confused when such a train (1V62) does that sort of journey.

Other routes in the area included Bescot to Bescot via Wednesbury, Princes End, Tipton, Soho and Perry Barr- closed at Princes End in 1981- or New Street to New Street via Castle Bromwich, Walsall and Soho still open.

You can never have too many 20's on a service train

9495502803_d5a81b1a12_z.jpg199x 20032-128 Crewe - Derby by The Gang of 3, on Flickr

There was one Skegness-Derby in the latter days of class 20 haulage which turned up 4 locos. Apparently the pair working down in the morning failed and another pair were sent to rescue them and the train. I saw it at Boston, all 4 locos were working, I have a photo somewhere and there's probably some on the web anyway.

• Like 1