Prototype for everything corner.

... 60mph was allowed for 10' wheelbase stock in those days and probably interpreted liberally by drivers of the V2s and pacifics used on some of them ...

Oh blimey, that's brought back happy memories of trainspotting at Retford around 1958/9 and a mucky A4 belting through with a long train of empty fish vans, one or two of which had brake levers banging up and down and all of which seemed to be be rocking and swaying fit to jump off the lines, making one hell of a racket.

We knew they were empty fish vans 'cos the doors of some of them were open, and I can still picture one slowly sliding shut as it went past ...

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The bogie coach is an LNWR postal vehicle, not sure what the other one is but it certainly seems to be a museum stock move, probably some time in the mid 60s.  Can't see head or tail lights, but the train is probably being run as unfitted because the brakes on the preserved stock do not work and are isolated.  

Its note actually a bogie vehicle, its a radial 8 wheeler! I'm guessing its a move from Wolverton to York (or Clapham bus garage?) just after the two vehicles had been restored. The LNWR radial had had bogies fitted by the LNWR later in life, and Wolverton converted it back (although where it got the bits from would be interesting to know!).

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Its note actually a bogie vehicle, its a radial 8 wheeler! I'm guessing its a move from Wolverton to York (or Clapham bus garage?) just after the two vehicles had been restored. The LNWR radial had had bogies fitted by the LNWR later in life, and Wolverton converted it back (although where it got the bits from would be interesting to know!).

Andy G

I stand corrected.  This makes a change; I usually stand by the bar, drinking a beer...

The 4 wheeler looks like  the 1872 NLR Directors Saloon which is now at Shildon (NRM).

This is listed as donated in 1975 and previously at Clapham

It was noted as stored at Lostock Hall prior to Clapham hence is presumably going to or from there.

Pete

T'other one's WCJS ( http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=649 ) rather than 'pure' LNWR - and there can't be much doubt the pair were on their way to Clapham.

Most likely only allowed to propell one Brake Tender!

Ah - but is it a diesel propelling AND hauling a pair of Diesel Brake Tenders or is the Diesel propelling - as you say - one Diesel Brake Tender and the Dub-Dee propelling that rarest of beasts* a Steam Brake Tender ? 

* in fact so rare that many sane people doubt they ever existed !

• RMweb Premium

Ah - but is it a diesel propelling AND hauling a pair of Diesel Brake Tenders or is the Diesel propelling - as you say - one Diesel Brake Tender and the Dub-Dee propelling that rarest of beasts* a Steam Brake Tender ? 

* in fact so rare that many sane people doubt they ever existed !

Also in the Railway Magazine article is this:

https://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2018/07/RM-Archive-PnP3.jpg

Keith

Edit also this quote from the article:

"it was not unknown for tenders to be paired with AC electrics and even steam locomotives."

Edited by melmerby

Bid on a job lot of track on ebay but didn't realise they were all code 83 double slips?

attachicon.gif4a11368a.jpg

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7451?size=_original#caption

Keith

Not quite all - but plenty ! ........................ the one bottom right appears to lead to a totally unnecessary single-blade trap point - I guess something's been removed beyond it !

• RMweb Gold

The recent Hornby magazine feature on brake tenders states that Peaks did run with fore and aft brake tenders. That suggests either it has gone out to rescue the ailing steam loco or, more likely, was working back to base on the front of a train to fit into an available path.

• RMweb Gold

Assisting the steam loco seems most likely to me; the diesel is doing all the work and the WD has a lot of steam coming from the RH cylinder; something's blown.  The safety valves are lifting, suggesting that the boiler has been fired in preparation for work it didn't in the event have to do.

I see no reason why a brake tender could not be used with a steam engine, though, or an electric; they were simply vacuum braked vehicles ballasted to increase the 'brake force', braking power available to the driver.  This was measured in tons, and the loco's own brake force was usually about half it's all up weight.  I never saw it happening, though!

I don't remember brake tenders working with class 44/5/6 locos, but do recall seeing them with paired 20s, 25s, 31s, 37s, and 40s.  The photos of Peak type locos with them seem to show one either side of the loco, and there must have been a reason for this; the norm was one only, hauled or propelled.  I wonder what it was.

I see no reason why a brake tender could not be used with a steam engine, ...............

Some steam locos were notoriously under-braked and it's a wonder nobody invented the brake tender earlier ........... redundant loco tenders - suitably ballasted - would be the obvious way to do it ................ but a - revenue earning - fitted head was always a better option.

While admitting that the WD's failure is a possibility, and given the inherent reliability of steam and poor record of diesels at the time, I don't see anything on the WD to suggest it's a failure, or anything from the Peak to indicate it's working. A blow from a piston gland would not fail a loco, and steam blowing in that area could indicate that the regulator is open and the steam loco is doing the work. Another possibility, as valid as all others mentioned, is that the Peak with two brake tenders has failed in section and the WD and train allowed in behind it to propel it forward.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, back on trackwork oddities, I offer .....

attachicon.gif2510.35 ; DSC_0134.JPG

..... discuss !

Yes - I know it's sideways ............ wasn't like that on MY screen !

This trackwork is to allow two vehicles (trains) to pass each other, (at the half way point), with out having to have points with moving parts and signalling.

One train will have double flanged wheels on the left with wider roller wheels on the right. This train will always follow the left hand rail.

The other train will have double flanged wheels on the right with wider roller wheels on the left. This train will always follow the right hand rail. - and never the twain shall meet! The rope uses one train to counterbalance the other.

Kev.

This trackwork is to allow two vehicles (trains) to pass each other, (at the half way point), with out having to have points with moving parts and signalling.

One train will have double flanged wheels on the left with wider roller wheels on the right. This train will always follow the left hand rail.

The other train will have double flanged wheels on the right with wider roller wheels on the left. This train will always follow the right hand rail. - and never the twain shall meet! The rope uses one train to counterbalance the other.

Kev.

Crikey - I expected more of a discussion than that ! : yep - Standseilbahn at Loschwitz ( above Dresden ).

• RMweb Premium

Kev.

And the gaps in the rails are for the rope to pass through.

No rope visible suggests it is currently out of use.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

While admitting that the WD's failure is a possibility, and given the inherent reliability of steam and poor record of diesels at the time, I don't see anything on the WD to suggest it's a failure, or anything from the Peak to indicate it's working. A blow from a piston gland would not fail a loco, and steam blowing in that area could indicate that the regulator is open and the steam loco is doing the work. Another possibility, as valid as all others mentioned, is that the Peak with two brake tenders has failed in section and the WD and train allowed in behind it to propel it forward.

The WD is definitely doing some work as the smoke trail shows.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

And the gaps in the rails are for the rope to pass through.

No rope visible suggests it is currently out of use.

Keith

Maybe maintenance as the rails look "shiny".

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Crikey - I expected more of a discussion than that ! : yep - Standseilbahn at Loschwitz ( above Dresden ).

I spent 10 minutes, or so, staring at the same sort of arrangement at the funicular in Lyon.

Kev.