Prototype for everything corner.

On 03/02/2019 at 18:48, EEType4 said:

Got a disproportionate number of buffet cars, no problem:

...[photo]

I noted two such formations, quoting myself from another thread :

Leicester 7/10/82, an HST crew training run, formed

43195, 44093, 40516 40514 40512 43196 - i.e. 2 power cars, 1 guards TGS and 3 kitchens.

21/10/82, similar HST training run with 4 kitchens:

43198, 44094, 40515, 40513, 40519, 40520, 43044 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, 30851 said:

The book "British Rail at Work: East Midlands" has a photo of a set with the same formation - it says it was for crew-training. Dated 24th September 1982 and said to consist of 43195, 43196, 40516, 40514, 40512 and 44093.

Rob

Same set I noted in the post above. Tried to multi-quote but messed it up.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2019 at 22:13, melmerby said:

Hush Hush! It's on a "Mystery Tour"

Keith

Spookily enough, Northern do run 'Mystery Excursions' on their service trains.

This was displayed on the rear of 158845 when working 2U27, Manchester Victoria to Leeds, on a date in December 2016.

1752600815_1588452U27BrighouseNN122016-RMweb.jpg.779b4c23c7095ede47a651fb4e8ed6a9.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

A nice video of the Chicago "L"

Shows that tail chasing isn't just for toy trains!

Some nice "first radius" curves as well.

Some umusual check rails as well.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 13

No photo unfortunately, but yesterday there was a Colas 67 coupled to a DRS 68 on Loram (RTC). The 67 was fired up, whilst the 'Cat' was silent, think the locos were 67023 'Stella' and 68003 'Astute' (but possibly 004, memory playing tricks).

Wondering if this is a first?

The former 'East Lancashire Railway' (37418) was in the yard later in the day too which both looked and sounded excellent.

Wild Boar Fell

28 minutes ago, Boris said:

In other news NYMR experiments to grow a new teak coach did not meet with much success.

Meanwhile the more clement weather a little further North combined with the asbestos impregnated top soil of the old Darlo Scrap yard meant the experiments in regenerating a Pine clad brake van had met with a little more success.

P29(Hopetown)-52-EditSM.jpg.b8d7e371116e8a00050a1fa120eafaaf.jpg

• Like 12
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Was the balcony extension a non-standard modification?

A post preservation modification popular with some smaller preservation groups to give more passenger accomodation when giving brake van rides.

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=9922

• Informative/Useful 4

23 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

A post preservation modification popular with some smaller preservation groups to give more passenger accomodation when giving brake van rides.

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=9922

Do Durham County Council know it's state of 'preservation' is ........ er ........................ questionable ??!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Do Durham County Council know it's state of 'preservation' is ........ er ........................ questionable ??!?

As far as I know the bauxite brake (B953602) is still giving service at Shildon. If it's still owned by DCC I doubt anybody there gives a t*ss, going of their recent record of involvment with preserverd railways.

21197694504_389d16e5be_c.jpgMilitary issue by Blaydon52C, on Flickr

The grey brake (B953364) in my photograph belongs(?) to Darlington Railway Preservation Society. My 2018 snap shows it on the same line but about 100 yards further South than its 2008 "portrait" on the RHRP site.

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=9000

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When you are a bit ashamed of your tracklaying...

BBC iPlayer website today, feature about an aqueduct to supply drinking water to Glasgow.

_105647978_sitelineworker.jpg

There's a shot of a contractor's Nielson as well.  Would love to have seen it trying to get up that hill!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I came across this on YouTube earlier, and considering it is 2018 was a little surprised at how crude the method of moving it is!  OK, we might have more experience than most (especially the US) at moving trains by road, but using 4 "side booms" to lift with a cable at each corner and keep picking it up and putting it down looks rather precarious.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

When you are a bit ashamed of your tracklaying...

BBC iPlayer website today, feature about an aqueduct to supply drinking water to Glasgow.

_105647978_sitelineworker.jpg

There's a shot of a contractor's Nielson as well.  Would love to have seen it trying to get up that hill!

Those of us who like Terry Prachett's work will recognise this as a prototype clacks tower!

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

On 26/02/2019 at 03:30, railsquid said:

Found after watching the above - steam engine running down the middle of a motorway anyone?

The ideal compromise for HS2. Widen the M1 and stick the tracks in the middle. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Those of us who like Terry Prachett's work will recognise this as a prototype clacks tower!

That signal post is even higher than some of the ones across the fens of Eastern England.