Prototype for everything corner.

5 hours ago, Jack374 said:

You needn't criticise wonky trackwork anymore, even on main lines!

The roller-coaster across the Moss

(Flickr photo, click to link)

:O

Jack.

That's Chat Moss , still floating as Stephenson intended.  It is what happens when track is laid on jelly.  Don't worry, it will flatten out somewhat as the train runs over it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Titan said:

That's Chat Moss , still floating as Stephenson intended.  It is what happens when track is laid on jelly.  Don't worry, it will flatten out somewhat as the train runs over it.

Brilliant idea, let the track float, do away

with springing on the rolling stock!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Still working as Stephenson intended and carrying 25 ton axle loads he couldn't have dreamed of!  That Stephenson deserves his 'Father of Railways' title and that the Liverpool and Manchester still influences practice today are concepts that'll get no dispute from me!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Still working as Stephenson intended and carrying 25 ton axle loads he couldn't have dreamed of!  That Stephenson deserves his 'Father of Railways' title and that the Liverpool and Manchester still influences practice today are concepts that'll get no dispute from me!  

indeed ......................... but in his worst nightmare he certainly wouldn't have dreamt that his new-fangled steam locomotive would become redundant and train would be powered by lightning !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rab said:

Brilliant idea, let the track float, do away

with springing on the rolling stock!

Hi Rab,

I've been across Chat Moss a number of times upon the footplate of various steam locomotives and it has given the roughest rides anywhere on the system that I have ever experienced.

Here are some of the problems encountered:

• Cab doors bent out of shape after being hit by the tender footplate.
  • Causing your legs to buckle and a fall to the floor.
  • Heads banged on the cab roof.
  • Lamps bounced from lamp irons and lost
  • Fall plates bounced past the upright position leaving a foot wide gap and a good view of the ballast passing beneath.
  • Coal cascading onto the footplate, and disappearing down the gap if coinciding with the above.
  • Worst of the lot, spilled tea !!!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

indeed ......................... but in his worst nightmare he certainly wouldn't have dreamt that his new-fangled steam locomotive would become redundant and train would be powered by lightning !

Although his contemporary, Mary Shelley, might!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Is that rubbish in the 4foot in the distance? (both lines)

New or old CWR laid in the 4' with bags full of ballast either side of it to stop it snaking until it hits the clips each side. If it comes into contact with both sides at once the track circuits go down and embarrassment and expense ensues.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

I've been across Chat Moss a number of times upon the footplate of various steam locomotives and it has given the roughest rides anywhere on the system that I have ever experienced

What's it like in the passenger accommodation? Presumably what a ticket clerk once described the Romsey - Eastleigh line to me as prior to the chandler's ford service restarting: "Good and bumpy"

2 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

What's it like in the passenger accommodation? Presumably what a ticket clerk once described the Romsey - Eastleigh line to me as prior to the chandler's ford service restarting: "Good and bumpy"

Hi Zomboid,

All I can say is that the bogies under the carriages are, when required, very good at concealing what they run upon !

Gibbo.

Sorry not getting notifications of posts. Yes the line from near to Cornbrook to Trafford park. 323s have used to stadium station in the past but don't seem to for a few years now.

There is also a turn back siding nearby for EMUs.

Disused as far as I can tell. Apparently the club asked for it not to be used citing health and safety. Narrow platforms and limited access/egress.

The new Metrolink line currently under construction passes right by it so it'd be redundant soon in any case.

• Like 1

You may never have the situation where your WD has a previous number on the smokebox and the new one on the cab side; but if you would like an excuse to run one like that - here it is. 

90029 at Cambridge shed on 30th June 1950, with previous number 63029 remaining on the smokebox door. This was probably a very thoughtful move by GE authorities towards confused spotters, in the days before lists of loco renumberings became commonplace. 

90029_cambridge_30:6:50.JPG.320ca158f2cf895aacdf1dc41a3be6a0.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

You may never have the situation where your WD has a previous number on the smokebox and the new one on the cab side; but if you would like an excuse to run one like that - here it is. 

90029 at Cambridge shed on 30th June 1950, with previous number 63029 remaining on the smokebox door. This was probably a very thoughtful move by GE authorities towards confused spotters, in the days before lists of loco renumberings became commonplace. 

90029_cambridge_30:6:50.JPG.320ca158f2cf895aacdf1dc41a3be6a0.JPG

Hi Jonny,

I have seen in a book somewhere, but can't seem to be able find it today, a picture of two Royal Scots in Crewe works where the one to the right of the picture has a smoke box number plate that matches the cab side number of the one to the left of the picture.

Should I find which book I shall reference it.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It also seems to run on an overhead power supply, though I can't see how that works when the vessel's been turned.

You can see the masts, always on the RH side approaching the TT and on the LH side on the slipway back down to the water.

Looks like 3 phase as well:

https://goo.gl/maps/RHyPM5ezcKcrwB8z9

EDIT If you look you can see there are also masts that turn with the turntable

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1