Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Where's that then? I've a holiday to plan next summer!

Just back from 8 days in the Lungau region of Austria. About an hour south of Salzburg (well known cheap airlines fly there!). If you want outdoors, mountains, hiking, trains, cycling, and no other tourists (it is yet to be discovered by the hordes except in winter when it is a ski area) then I thoroughly recommend the area.

There is a long 760mm narrow gauge railway line that is part preserved steam railway and part normal railway, called the Mur Valley Railway. The Mur Valley is a long valley that starts high in the Alps and run roughly NW to SE across the middle of Austria. The photos are of the 'normal' line, which is single line working. Below is the view in the other direction of the same spot with the halt and single line signal. The photo of the train is further along the line at Ramingstein. There is also freight apparently. Will post pics of preserved steam later when retrieved from the other camera (http://www.club760.at/html/index.html ). We cycled along the Mur Valley cycle path that runs along side the railway for much of its route (See pic in earlier post of V shaped sleepers, from same line and trip). There is a lovely picnic spot on the other side of the tunnel in my original photo with a platform over the track as it enters the tunnel. They are upgrading the line but keeping the narrow gauge https://www.railjournal.com/regions/europe/austrian-narrow-gauge-line-to-be-modernised/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mur_Valley_Railway

I would also recommend this accommodation (no connection, just fab place to stay) www.stmartinchalets.at (ignore the snow pics, fantastic part of the world in summer) The area is lovely and yet to suffer mass tourism. There are also lots of other railways around Austria that are not too far away. Went on 2 funicular railways whilst we were there as well.

Single line.JPG

train3.JPG

Ramingstein.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Just back from 8 days in the Lungau region of Austria. About an hour south of Salzburg (well known cheap airlines fly there!). If you want outdoors, mountains, hiking, trains, cycling, and no other tourists (it is yet to be discovered by the hordes except in winter when it is a ski area) then I thoroughly recommend the area.

There is a long 760mm narrow gauge railway line that is part preserved steam railway and part normal railway, called the Mur Valley Railway. The Mur Valley is a long valley that starts high in the Alps and run roughly NW to SE across the middle of Austria. The photos are of the 'normal' line, which is single line working. Below is the view in the other direction of the same spot with the halt and single line signal. The photo of the train is further along the line at Ramingstein. There is also freight apparently. Will post pics of preserved steam later when retrieved from the other camera (http://www.club760.at/html/index.html ). We cycled along the Mur Valley cycle path that runs along side the railway for much of its route (See pic in earlier post of V shaped sleepers, from same line and trip). There is a lovely picnic spot on the other side of the tunnel in my original photo with a platform over the track as it enters the tunnel. They are upgrading the line but keeping the narrow gauge https://www.railjournal.com/regions/europe/austrian-narrow-gauge-line-to-be-modernised/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mur_Valley_Railway

I would also recommend this accommodation (no connection, just fab place to stay) www.stmartinchalets.at (ignore the snow pics, fantastic part of the world in summer) The area is lovely and yet to suffer mass tourism. There are also lots of other railways around Austria that are not too far away. Went on 2 funicular railways whilst we were there as well.

Single line.JPG

train3.JPG

Ramingstein.JPG

Added more photos to the gallery via a new thread

redIMG_2078.JPG

redIMG_2080.JPG

redIMG_2097.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Want to cram in lots of landscape features into your Cakebox Challenge? Road, tunnel, trees, bridge, level crossing and alpine river...

IMG_8467.JPG

I recognised this location, here it is three years ago and you could add a waiting shelter, platform, walkers and cyclists into your diorama. 

IMGP6583.JPG.db57c9800277d7d262d9fa1c993476f6.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dagrizz said:

I recognised this location, here it is three years ago and you could add a waiting shelter, platform, walkers and cyclists into your diorama. 

IMGP6583.JPG.db57c9800277d7d262d9fa1c993476f6.JPG

Excellent. There is a wooden platform overlooking the far side of the tunnel entrance with benches where we sat and had our sandwiches as we were cycling too, using hired 'e-bikes' - battery powered mountain bikes that allowed us to power up very steep alpine roads without stopping! Very good bits of kit but £4000 for a bicycle is a bit much :unsure:

Just a great part of the world for walking, cycling, railways and scenery. And meat based cuisine.

• RMweb Gold

I know there have been several posts on this thread featuring non-standard HST formations but at 1h40m13s into this video is an interesting one. It’s a 1+9 HST formation with the rear power car having been replaced by a red BG van. As the train is shown arriving at St. Austell and is a Penzance to Paddington service, I presume Laira had a power car pointing west ready to go on the back at Plymouth. Otherwise, Hemerdon and Dainton would have been a bit of a struggle. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I know there have been several posts on this thread featuring non-standard HST formations but at 1h40m13s into this video is an interesting one. It’s a 1+9 HST formation with the rear power car having been replaced by a red BG van. As the train is shown arriving at St. Austell and is a Penzance to Paddington service, I presume Laira had a power car pointing west ready to go on the back at Plymouth. Otherwise, Hemerdon and Dainton would have been a bit of a struggle. 

Wonder what that was about! That is interesting.  I liked the spot of shunting shortly after that clip as well. Looks like a good video.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Wonder what that was about! That is interesting.  I liked the spot of shunting shortly after that clip as well. Looks like a good video.

Steve.

It is good. There are three in the series covering Paddington to Bristol, Bristol to Saltash and Saltash to Penzance. Well worth a viewing. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2019 at 13:49, jonny777 said:

More apologies if I have posted this before, but it is not something you see regularly on a 1960s layout (probably because the loco/brake tender combo would fill most of the track space). 

Photo © Railway Magazine. 

RM-Feb-p28.jpg.759b36f5a12cc1f1af4d223ad0fafff7.jpg

Awsome!

C6T. 

19 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I guess this could equally appear in the 'modelling a traditional parcels train' thread.  Presumably the Mk2 coach is hitching a ride in a parcels working in order to effect a transfer.

34248506005_2534856363_c.jpg7018 Twyford 16 March 1974 by snatmann, on Flickr

Nice neat track, nice neat lineside, nice neat Syphon, nice neat MkII* ............... but who ruined the scene with that tatty Hymek ?

* early FK - could it be the prototype ?

Edited by Wickham Green
speeling

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I guess this could equally appear in the 'modelling a traditional parcels train' thread.  Presumably the Mk2 coach is hitching a ride in a parcels working in order to effect a transfer.

34248506005_2534856363_c.jpg7018 Twyford 16 March 1974 by snatmann, on Flickr

It's actually an ECS working and not a 'parcels train' - the Syphon is a news van going empty to Old Oak Common and presumably the coach will be the same - which suggests the move originated at Swindon or another works.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

40173 at Brighton.

https://flic.kr/p/cYjAiA

I also found references to them working Freightliners to Southampton.

Cheers

David

In my spotting days (early-mid 80s) I remember seeing one arrive on the west curve at Reading with a southbound Freightliner. I was at the cattle pens sidings at the time and we pedalled like mad down to Reading West to see it, getting there just as it was pulling away from the signal check. I seem to recall a photo of the return working appeared in Rail Enthusiast magazine. Now that I have typed this, I have a feeling that I might have written about this before, possibly on this very thread. :scratchhead: