Prototype for everything corner.

Is your model based in Cumbria during the early 1960s, but you really lust after a Mk1 in chocolate and cream livery to run behind your Duchess pacific?

Well, worry no more as this still from a commercial steam dvd shows a Stanier pacific descending towards Grayrigg during 1964 with the required WR coach in the train. 

1078926154_Screenshot2019-09-19at20_51_45.png.d82a2376ba36e0d1f06b09aeb8016402.png

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4

GWR coaches, presumably chocolate and cream, worked as far as Aberdeen in earlier times - see on this page:

https://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/cross-country-routes.html

I seem to remember Western Region Penzance coaches being moved from an up Scottish train to a North-and-West train at Crewe in BR days - perhaps that's the working shown in the photograph?

Edit - Correction, the picture I remembered shows two Glasgow - Plymouth through coaches (not Penzance) being moved from an Edinburgh-Birmingham train to a Manchester-Plymouth at Crewe in 1959.

Edited by pH

This is a poor quality photograph, leading me to wonder if the photographer was taken by surprise when the power car loomed into view. Given the shiny bogie paintwork, could this be one of the first outings for the (as then) new GWR livery back in about 1997?

It would certainly make an interesting variation on a late 1990s model of the Newton Abbot area. 

1031393785_43xxxfagnewtonabbot1997.jpg.7e8d00c651b2123236544ec0a0a29cac.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

This is a poor quality photograph, leading me to wonder if the photographer was taken by surprise when the power car loomed into view. Given the shiny bogie paintwork, could this be one of the first outings for the (as then) new GWR livery back in about 1997?

It would certainly make an interesting variation on a late 1990s model of the Newton Abbot area. 

One of the few reasonable liveries of privatisation,  only to be ruined by those ridiculous gold stripes 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

After completing your scenery you find one tree branch or small shrub left over and don't know what to do with it?  No worries, just stick it in the main hook/hook block of a breakdown crane.

IMG00007.jpg.a310587fe7e33581ab9f6b7e421c41a5.jpg

Edited by iands
minor edit (missing word)
  • Like 6
  • Funny 6

On 22/09/2019 at 15:35, lankyphil said:

_20190922_152252.JPG.e0e3e5b1a0ac9411cdcc60d63d788307.JPG

Seen in Trafford Park by the exit from DBS/Maritime terminal. Surprised it was a BR crossing though? Thought it'd have been Trafford Park metals by then? 

Probably the Trafford Park bit began with the bridge over the water there.

Still amazed all the track at the MIFT is still intact despite not having had any trains in those warehouses for as long as I can remember

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Probably the Trafford Park bit began with the bridge over the water there.

Correct, according to Trackmaps

If this is the crossing I like this sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/SwYvSSCVQYoxcjFRA

sign.JPG.e245d15a449ed9ccc519ea79de70fd21.JPG

In Manchester.........:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2019 at 17:21, woodenhead said:

The DB yard which this is the exit to was planned for Chunnel intermodal services, now it is used by GBRF and DB for intermodal services to ports and such like.

It’s the same in Hams Hall, there are countless notices still up regards the ‘channel tunnel security order’ as that was also planned to be the same set up

regard the track its its a shame to see the old MSC line to Barton docks all gated over now, spent many a happy few months trundling up and down there on the ship canal hired 08s when I was with fastline back in 2010 when the train was dragged to and from the exchange sidings, the 2 old boys on it were a right run pair, health and safety....what’s that! They were both in their 60s and had worked the dock railway all their working life So must have seen some changes from it sprawling the length of the canal right down to it being just that final couple of mile stretch to Barton! 

A373761E-CD6A-4E67-A754-A6AB24DCFB95.jpg

23F9745B-3C8D-4962-892D-7FC23332D4CB.jpg

• Like 6

On 20/09/2019 at 09:30, jonny777 said:

I also thought it was good livery, only spoiled by the stripe around the light clusters for me. Excuse the terrible image editing but I thought it would have been better if the green stripe around the lights had been blended into the green on the body, something like the below:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob F said:

I also thought it was good livery, only spoiled by the stripe around the light clusters for me. Excuse the terrible image editing but I thought it would have been better if the green stripe around the lights had been blended into the green on the body, something like the below:

I think what you are seeing here is the difference in techniques when designing liveries, I am sure back in the 90s liveries were more angular whereas today there is a lot more swoosh to the livery applications so you are more likely to see the upward sweep you've edited into your picture.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@big jim then you don't want to see what has become of Containerbase.

It's now a BMW and Mini dealership plus an expanse of flat brownfield awaiting the next piece of retail.

But we will have trams next year which I hope will benefit the many people who work in the Park.

yes I noticed last night on google maps, they certainly didn’t waste any time ripping the tracks up beyond the gate either! 

the canteen in container base was a cracker, a real life Victoria woods ‘dinnerladies’ 

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

........ whereas today there is a lot more swoosh to the livery applications so you are more likely to see the upward sweep you've edited into your picture.

Unless of course it's TP Express; an appalling abomination n my opinion.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Unless of course it's TP Express; an appalling abomination n my opinion.

If we’re into opinions, the all time worst in mine was NSE; successful attempt to make perfectly respectable trains look like cheap pairs of trainers. 

Not missed.  

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If we’re into opinions, the all time worst in mine was NSE; successful attempt to make perfectly respectable trains look like cheap pairs of trainers. 

Not missed.  

..... but cheerful - unlike anything the 319's ever carried later in their Thameslink life .................... or the current Thameslink livery for that matter.

• Agree 2