Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2019 at 21:57, brushman47544 said:

That looks like a double slip with one route removed.

That's basically what it is.  There is also one at Didcot - it was renewed a few years back using brand new flat bottom rail;  it's bullhead rail predecessor had been there for many decades.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's basically what it is.  There is also one at Didcot - it was renewed a few years back using brand new flat bottom rail;  it's bullhead rail predecessor had been there for many decades.

I like the way it would dump the leftmost wheel onto a live rail!

Could be a nice flash, I suppose that's better than a large crash.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:20, The Stationmaster said:

Also one the same towards the north end of Willesden TMD.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't quite make out all the words on the sign "............Goods and Mineral Trains ............ Brakes". Given the descending gradient (indicated in the foreground) I'm guessing it's an instruction to pin down a certain number of brakes.

1 minute ago, iands said:

Can't quite make out all the words on the sign "............Goods and Mineral Trains ............ Brakes". Given the descending gradient (indicated in the foreground) I'm guessing it's an instruction to pin down a certain number of brakes.

'All (Down or Up) .........must stop here and pin down...' I've left out the idiosyncratic capitals, which always made me think that the originals had been designed by a German emigré. The actual number of brakes that were pinned down were decided by driver and guard, following principles, laid down in writing, about weight of train, weather conditions etc. There was a fine line between a minimum (so the driver could still stop the train at the bottom of the bank) and the maximum ( so the driver could restart 'against the brakes'). I used to watch them unpinning the brakes, just down from my primary school at the bottom of the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr. Sometimes, someone miscalculated, and there'd be a runaway. Johnster, on here, will be able to enlarge on this matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

. Sometimes, someone miscalculated, and there'd be a runaway. 

Like this example from North Rhondda I guess.

DE1722_D9542_Rhondda.jpg.b61a151863ba70818a5722ee1ef359a3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Where is the "Wow! What a wonderful photo" option?

"WOW" is what I immediately thought when I saw it on eBay - just had to buy it! Would also fit in nicely on the "16t Minerals" thread I think.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, iands said:

Like this example from North Rhondda I guess.

DE1722_D9542_Rhondda.jpg.b61a151863ba70818a5722ee1ef359a3.jpg

That looks to me to have been a runaway (or Driver error) through the trap point rather than a failure to pin down brakes on an incline job.  However the end results are not dissimilar.    

The most spectacular one I've ever seen was a failure to apply sufficient handbrakes job with a result that the runway ran through the trap point at N&B Junction and then piled into a heap against the embankment of the South Wales main line.  There was a large heap about 20-25 feet high piled up against the somewhat damaged rear end of the EE Type 3 and in that heap there was a brakevan and at least four, possibly five, 16 ton Mins on top of o it plus a lot of small coal.  The brakevan was so completely demolished the wheelsets  were no longer complete and all the wagons were in very small pieces which had to be dug out of the coal.  The only serious injury was to the Guard who broke a leg when he jumped.

Often the reality of incline working was very different from the theory - which was officially that the loco brake was able to stop the train at any point on the gradient because in order to start descending the gradient sufficient wagon brakes would have been pinned down to hold the train so that it could only be moved by the loco applying power.  So cease to apply power and the train should stop, speed would always be very low.  But having on one occasion ridden a train descending a very steep gradient with all the wagon brakes pinned down hard but it was still moving at 40mph the reality was that luck probably played as big a part as experience at times - all a bit hair raising if you weren't used to it.  And the sight of a train with burning brakeblocks on all wagons was something to behold ;)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, pH said:

An example of that from North America:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/440081/

I wonder if a smoke unit could be used to depict that in model form.

Ah but a smoke unit probably won't capture the smell - an essential part of the burning brakeblocks situation ;)   And it doesn't look too bad in that picture because you can actually see all the wagons in that part of the train, although they might be starting to cool off by then.

• Like 1