Dremel multi type tool for scratchbuilding

nrg710

Hi chaps,

With Christmas approaching, folk are asking me what I'd like for Christmas. And I quite fancy a tool like a Dremel Multi 4000

DR4000-6-50.jpg

However I don't want to inflict Dremel like prices on my relatives, so was thinking a GMC equivalent or similar.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

My Dremel-type multi-tool gets very little use as I find it runs just too fast, so isn't controllable enough.

I have one a bit like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferm-Combitool-Rotary-Multitool-Combi-Multi-Tool-240v-Electric-Dremel-Compatible-/370905605522?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item565bb26592

also bought off ebay, in an alloy flight-case, with LOADS of attachments. I've also got an attachment set bought from Aldi for £5.99 with about a hundred bits, including THREE arbors and three packs of slitting discs!

Worth looking round.

I find it runs just too fast, so isn't controllable enough.

A common problem with all.

Those that run slower seem to lack in torque and literally grind to a standstill.

It is a rare occasion I find a use for one these days, I break less drill bits using a hand tool, the burrs are just too aggressive at high speed, and a hand saw is more controllable. What do folk use them for?

• RMweb Gold

when I first started scratch building I had a cordless one I killed it trying to build my 0-4-4t got very hot and made a lovely smell. use a saw now might be slower but much better and no smell or burnt hands 

A common problem with all.

Those that run slower seem to lack in torque and literally grind to a standstill.

It is a rare occasion I find a use for one these days, I break less drill bits using a hand tool, the burrs are just too aggressive at high speed, and a hand saw is more controllable. What do folk use them for?

Slitting disc for: 

Cutting Shimano gear cable outers without squashing them

Removing brass from frames quickly before cleaning up with a file.

Removing bits from frames once they are built and a design change "becomes" necessary.

Cutting track.

Not much else.

My Dremel-type multi-tool gets very little use as I find it runs just too fast, so isn't controllable enough.

I have one a bit like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferm-Combitool-Rotary-Multitool-Combi-Multi-Tool-240v-Electric-Dremel-Compatible-/370905605522?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item565bb26592

also bought off ebay, in an alloy flight-case, with LOADS of attachments. I've also got an attachment set bought from Aldi for £5.99 with about a hundred bits, including THREE arbors and three packs of slitting discs!

Worth looking round.

I have something very similar to this acquired ages ago for a minimal sum from Aldi as I recall.

I have just binned my battery driven one as it wouldn't charge up. That was Aldi too. Battery ones are very handy in tight situations but lack power for all but the lightest jobs.

Overspeed is a problem with the mains one plus it's bulk and the switching on and off but the remote drive cable is quite useful particularly for track cutting as the vice end is so small so the cutter can be held vertical.

Remember that these tools use a collet and screw cap for holding the tool which can and does slip if the working bit is a bit large, say above 5mm.

I have found that my cordless drill with a variable trigger is actually more useful in a lot of cases.

I've a Minicraft 12v drill which runs off a Minicraft transformer the size of an old Duette. The speed control on the transformer is excellent with a good, very slow speed capability. I've had it for years and I do use it for drilling holes for handrail sized wire. It's also used for slitting, with burrs, wire brushes and polishing mops. I've a couple of other drills,, one from Aldi, which are fine but I tend to rely on the Minicraft one.

Hi

I advise don't buy the 230V mini drill and attachments from ALDI,

even though the speed is adjustable, the vibration off the drill is far too high.

Its so much that when I put a 12 " dia saw blade on the end it was enough to bend the shaft , so I no have the saw blade shaft bent at about 70 degs.

Luckily my hands weren't close to it , had they been it would have been a trip to A&E.

I waiting for a Rotacraft #18 to be delivered , that I bought off e-bay for £12.5 is like, as it 12V and variable speed.

I've gone through a lot of cutting blades with the Aldi thing, you can cut rails with it , but not precisely due to the vibration,

its also heavy, that something that most of the 230V drills will be due to motor weight.

Maybe OK for patching up scrapes on the car, but not for modelling.

The other thing to note with Aldi is that if a customer returns goods , they put it back on the shelves, Lidl do the same.

So if you do buy from there look very carefully at the packaging, and if anything looks like its been opened DONT buy it.

just my two penneth

Richard

Go for the Proxxon equivalent. A much superior tool and made in Germany.

Michael dJS

Seconded

Transformer

and the drill itself

Much more superior to the cheaper versions (and actually they are not that expensive); both lighter (this is important), smoother and more controllable..

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

Hi chaps,

With Christmas approaching, folk are asking me what I'd like for Christmas. And I quite fancy a tool like a Dremel Multi 4000

However I don't want to inflict Dremel like prices on my relatives, so was thinking a GMC equivalent or similar.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Have a look at this item from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.6v-cordless-lithium-ion-rotary-tool-622340

It is a very real bargain at the current price - the only problem is will the price go up when they get more stock?

I use mine in preference to the Dremel that I purchased to replace an Aldi that died. Mechanically the Aldi was rather better engineered than the Dremel but the switch/speed control failed. I totally agree with the comments about the Dremel - it is a powerful but wicked beast that demands considerable care in use.

The Maplin tool has the same collet thread as the Expo pin vice and chuck so easy to put the chuck on for some jobs.

Regards.

I'm so glad I acquired my Minicraft drill together with the power supply that has a speed control on it before they stopped making the things (or did Minicraft go bust? - I never have found out what happened to them). If you find one on eBay or elsewhere, I'd recommend this set up but I don't think they're very common.

I haven't found a stand like the one from ebay that JeffP put the link in for, so to use the flexible drive I have to bodge things slightly. I lay the drill stand on its back and I use this set up for a lot of jobs, the last of which was to cut away the whitemetal inside my E4 to allow for EM running gear in a kit designed for OO. You can see the results here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74517-white-metal-body-mods-not-an-invite-for-gok-wan/?p=1151865

Phil

The dremel does have about 6 speed settings, and is very controllable, the minicraft if you can find one is much lighter but has no interchangeable head so will only take smaller shaft fittings and is only controllable with a DC controller as mentioned... so I would hope that Father Christmas will be generous and get you part of the dremel range.

• Like 1

Hi

Its so much that when I put a 12 " dia saw blade on the end it was enough to bend the shaft , so I no have the saw blade shaft bent at about 70 degs.

Luckily my hands weren't close to it , had they been it would have been a trip to A&E

just my two penneth

Richard

Are you being serious? 12" blade!

I do hope thats a typo, if not, I'm not surprised it bent the shaft.

I am impressed that it actually managed to turn it without the

motor burning out!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Worth looking round.

I've bought 'Ferm' tools before and proved be be very good value. Two in particular that were really 'battered' in service were a large belt sander and a small 'Kango' type hammer. The belt sander packed up after about 6 years of very hard use and I still have the 'Kango' tool. They did have (don't know now) a two year replacement guarantee, really rather good for the price. Almost could be considered 'throwaway'! They came from a Dutch company most likely made in China.

I have a FERM 4.5" angle grinder that has seen a LOT of work, and is still going strong.

As for Dremel's different speeds, the slowest is still around 5000rpm, the fastest is nearer 25,000....just silly.

• Like 1

Hi chaps,

Many thanks for the very comprehensive replies!

The Proxxon is looking pretty good at the moment. However, the only thing I'm put off by is that the speed seems to be variable only from 5000-20,000 rpm.

I'd be looking for something very like the Proxxon, but with a foot control to vary speed across the full range (i.e., from 0 - 20,000 rpm), in much the same way as a sewing machine's speed is infinitely variable.

Would the foot control for a sewing machine be compatible with the transformer for the Proxxon, do you think? I notice that the footswitch that Proxxon make is exactly that- a switch, not a control.

Hello NRG710

I was the person who suggested the Proxxon as I have one and would not part with it.

It is vastly superior to any of the others and I have not found the standard speeds to be a problem for drilling, polishing, reducing metals etc. It does have a built in speed adjuster but if you need it to run at lower speeds for a particular purpose, then I suggest that you run it through a dimmer switch or similar.

I agree with some of the other replies who suggest getting all the accessories from sources such as Lidl or Aldi also, but I would suggest that you get the actual drill bits also from Proxxon which are of very high quality and very robust. I use a lot of 0.5mm drills and whilst many are very flimsy and break easily, I have not been able to break a Proxxon drill of that size after three months. And they remain sharp!

You can find them on Ebay quite often.

Regards

Michael dJS.