BRM - December 2013

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here's what you'll find in the December issue of BRM. The Digital Edition will be available to download later today (www.model-railways-live.co.uk/digital) and the paper version will be on-sale from November 14th. All copies come with a FREE 32-page magazine 'The BRM Guide to... Model Buildings' which has been put together by Phil Parker.

post-14186-0-28449000-1383917974.jpg

6 Fantastic Layouts

Our Editor’s Choice layout this month is the stunning EM gauge Diesels in the Duchy, a diesel depot exhibition layout. We also have the following layouts:

• ‘D’ Shop - a OO gauge locomotive works diorama by Mike Lynch.
  • Spider’s Web - an N gauge layout built around a conservatory.
  • Dewsbury Town - a OO gauge layout built under a carport in his garden.
  • Oil Drum Lane - a small, freelance DRS motive power depot in OO.
  • Ellerton Road - a description of the extension of this Scale Seven layout.

Practical BRM

Improve your modelling with our selection of easy-to-follow Practical BRM articles:

• Create a static caravan cameo, by Phil Parker.
  • Two-Hour Challenge - model a fuelling point in just 120-minutes.
  • Modelling broadleaf trees, by Michael Russell.
  • Construct a C12 Finecast white metal kit, by Tony Wright.
  • How to model a 4mm wagon kit, by Howard Smith.
  • Renumber an N gauge locomotive, by Richard Wilson.

New products

Find out What’s New in the world of railway modelling, plus 8-pages dedicated to in-depth reviews of Hornby’s new P2 (OO gauge) and the Graham Farish Tornado (N gauge). Both reviews are by Tony Wright.

Plus…

Q&A

Readers’ Layouts

Christmas Gift Ideas

Warley Show Preview

Diary Dates

Letters

FREE 32-page supplement

Don’t miss ‘The BRM Guide to… Model Buildings!

• How buildings can make a layout
  • Building a simple card kit
  • How to improve a card kit
  • Plastic building kits
  • Resin buildings
  • Laser-cut buildings
  • An introduction to scratch-building

• Like 5

• Administrators

Looks a good line up of content this month. Can't wait for mine to fall through the letter box.

Cheers

We've just received our office copies, hot off the press, and it looks really, really good. Issue 2 of a relaunch is always the hardest to produce. You spend many months working on Issue 1, and then you have the usual month to put together Issue 2. However, the opinion around the office is that BRM Dec is the best yet. We hope you all agree.

Oh dear - I'm just going to have to go into Smiffs blindfolded - I still don't like the rebrand - tear off the front cover and buy the second issue in a row!

The content looks too good to miss inside this issue.

... which is what it is all about I guess.

• Administrators

Still in two minds about BRM vs MR vs MRJ

Ordered MRJ 225 for delivery. And I'm in the UK beginning of next month, so if I can get to a WHS I may be able to pick up the other two for a comparison.

Still in two minds about BRM vs MR vs MRJ

Ordered MRJ 225 for delivery. And I'm in the UK beginning of next month, so if I can get to a WHS I may be able to pick up the other two for a comparison.

Very different animals IMHO.  I have MRJ on subscription, but browse my local shops for any others. BRM, MR, even RM, have upped their game over the past year or so, but I still tend to buy only those which have articles of interest to me in them.   If you want lots of ads and reviews then I guess any one of three are better for you.   I like MRJ for its modelling inspiration, even if it appears a little old fashioned.

Edited by Adams442T

Picked up a copy in Tescos earlier today. There is certainly a lot of very nice pictures but it does seem like that there is less actual reading matter than the old BRM (which for me was renowned for a good quality lengthy read).

G.

• Administrators

Hi all,

The December issue of BRM goes on-sale tomorrow and all copies come with a FREE 32-page magazine: The BRM Guide to Model Buildings. Unfortunately this issue is bagged by necessity with the supplement, but to help give you a feel for what's inside we have a preview video for you to watch: http://bit.ly/1boIJmE.

Here's a picture of what to look out for on newsstand.

post-14186-0-77568700-1384359517.jpg

I hope you enjoy the magazine.

There is some good stuff in this issue.  Not that I wish to be seen as crawling but Andy's pics really bring out the best of DitD and there is plenty of best to bring out.  It's good to see Tony Wright back on form as he describes his encounters with the C12 and P2.  Other interesting features are, of course, available.

On the downside, I wasn't too keen on being referred to a website to see how Howard Smith decorated his Smallbrook brake van, particularly as it was not this one.

Chris