Pappendeckel buildings – something new...

This thread weirdly draws together several unrelated issues .I just bought that very Fleischmann DVI with sound etc. from Modelbahn Lippe.I  Aaways loved them from Merkur and Fischer days and Eisenbahn journals in the  seventies and eighties though i managed avoid their highly strung  little marvels though I did manage to build some other  type locos  of theirs .No idea what i am going to do with it as I have a uS layout I am building .i do note however that the little creature will happily chuff round 6 inch radius curves on my On30 mining  layout .Maybe a tiny roundy set  up in Oberbayern with mainly tunnels .

The other interest is  young Wiffins new low relief factory which i plan to use on my US layout .I even use the same inhaler medication as the one illustrated by Armin for his correcgated iron sheet .

All in all really at home in this thread

Did I mention I also recently got an Hon3 k27 which I have nothing to run it on .oh dear . great work on here .i really must avoid any links to Modellbahn Lippe .

Thanks, and may I return your wishes for a prosperous New Year.

alfsboy: the topic tells you that this thread is a catch all for various seemingly unrelated issues: cardboard (Pappendeckel) structures. They may be Prussian, Bavarian, British or US style…

But - until now - all of them railway related.     :senile:  :senile:  

scott: yes, different doors provided in the kit – all the same style, but six colours.

If none of them would fit MY bill, I would insert a door of my taste, e.g. what John provided with his Low Relief Warehouse – or what I would find on the CGTextures.com site…      :stinker:

Next will be a Zollgebäude = a customs office building – freelanced. Wait and see…   :D  :D 

Regards

Armin

PS: for those wanting to give the FINNPAPPE stuff a try, you can find it there: Architekturbedarf  (usual disclaimer)

• 1 month later...

Last post I promised a customs office, but…

Yes, I started it, but in the meantime I made another commercial building: a small low relief factory – freelance scratchbuilt.

I used one of the base layers of John’s Flat Relief Factory (on my layout it serves as a Warehouse…) as template to obtain the measures/sites of the windows etc. This was done in my PC using the old, yet trusty, Paint Shop Pro v.5.

That’s my new Base Layer: 

post-12822-0-96547300-1425328248.gif

Using the proved method explained above I prepared the various parts (front wall, corner posts, side walls, plinth, etc.), covered them with a nice brick paper and glued the windows (OHP again) into their places.

Here the whole lot:

post-12822-0-86520600-1425328297_thumb.jpg 

After assembling all these parts I cut out a rather weird looking form – this makes a hip­ped roof:

post-12822-0-06557200-1425328347.jpg

After folding and securing the edges it was covered with masking tape. Painted flat black does represent roofing paper quite well.

Together with the (no longer so flat) Low Relief Factory it is a nice ensemble – per my taste at least…

post-12822-0-73069100-1425328398_thumb.jpg

I would appreciate your comments (positive only – no  :nono:   no   :nono:  no  :nono:   hahaha   :stinker:  ).

Regards

Armin

PS: weathering postponed until all structures are done…

Thebritfarmer and Doug: thanks for your comments – they are appreciated !

Now going strong with the promised Customs Office for my new layout:

As can be seen on the original layout plan this building will sit in the back at the left (yellow outline, the alreads existing two buildings in light green); two tracks will lead into it:

post-12822-0-42800000-1426005303_thumb.gif

One of the tracks goes into the skewed ( ? correct wording ? ) corner. Will be a challenge to design a fitting roof…  :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Well, as usual I made a base layer for the three walls using my old PSP program:

post-12822-0-01408300-1426004259.jpg

The same on card ( I still prefer and recommend Finnpappe) and cut out:

post-12822-0-01881100-1426004294.jpg

This shows the inside – the edges are already chamfered (but not cut through. Another “first” for me!  :O  :O  ).

After folding and fitting a bracing to keep the skew ( it is not at 45° ! ) we have this:

post-12822-0-17035800-1426004412.jpg

post-12822-0-56710800-1426004442.jpg

It does fit the tracks, so I'm happy  :boast:  :boast:  :boast:.       After covering the walls there will be the roof…

Much to do – I'm still in the beginning.

Armin

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit hindered by a health issue last week…   But then…

I made this customs office twice:

First time the usual method with a brick wall. But two little details went wrong :no2:  :no2:  , so I decided to start afresh, and – in addition – to try another method.

Here in Germany very many buildings are brick with a plaster (or mortar) coat:

post-12822-0-41074500-1426877704.jpg   or  post-12822-0-55558500-1426877728.jpg

That’s what I fancied – just better kept than the right one (it's an official building!). It is easy to do:

I sprayed the card (outside, of course) with hair spray – the cheap, sticky one. Then sprinkled it with light grey artist’s chalk powder and tried to fix it with – well – fixative.

This was a mistake!   :threaten:  :threaten: 

Because the powder didn’t stick – it became blown away faster than it was applied. And this in an irregular pattern, too.

The remedy was simple: do it again, but this time stay at a distance and let the fixative mist (!) slowly (!) rain (!) down.

Success!   8)  8) 

But: as usual the fixative had a nasty influence on the chalk powder. It went quite dark… Fortu­na­tely I had a (rarely used) white primer nearby and covered the whole thing:

post-12822-0-40771700-1426876852.jpg

post-12822-0-29064200-1426876897.jpg

Looks quite convincingly – for me at least… Especially with the darker specks I had left intentionally.

The last touch came with a series of very (!) light washes with ochre acryl paint. Plus a little anthra­cite chalk to represent the soot over the doors, and the windows glued in:

post-12822-0-37624100-1426877262.jpg

post-12822-0-93544700-1426877285.jpg

Next undertaking: the roof…

Armin

Hello Armin,

Hope all is good with you , I'm enjoying your work so far and still getting my ideas and materials together for my propesd Bavarian themed layout and wondered if you could advise me please ?

I've considered using a photo backdrop and came across a company by the name of Jowi. I seem to be having problems with their website trying to see if there is a mountain / forest scene on one of their discs. Are you aware of their products/ discs and if there is such a backdrop on one of them which I could "doctor" to get the required affect ?

I hope you don't mind me asking.

Kind regards

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

thank you for your kind comment - it's appreciated !

Well, I visited the Jowi website and found that they deliver backgrounds generally NOT on CD for your further doctoring. Rather the backgrounds are printed and delivered as rolls - e.g. "H0 2" = 200x32 cm (see their page "Bestellung und Kontakt").

However, individual solutions are possible, e.g. combination of various motifs; then the transition from roll to roll will be cared for by Jowi.

An overview of the "German" backdrops can be seen when checking - on page "Hintergründe" - the field labeled "Hier" (and then waiting for the download of a not so small pdf-file).

On CD only low relief buildings are available. Doctorable backgrounds are available on DVD - but only for US layouts (not so well suited for Bavarian themed layout, me thinks  :no: ).

Hope this is of help for you - do not hesitate to ask in case of uncertainties…

Armin

Hi Armin,

Sorry for my late reply, I'm very grateful for the time you've taken to do this for me it's much appreciated.

I will have another look and see if it suits my requirements.

I do like your progress with the buildings, it's from a site I had discovered and contemplated, I like the look of the station and it may well feature ( with a slight change) on my proposed layout too.

Happy modelling and keep up the blog and good work.

Kind regards

Grahame

Good evening!

As I said: I did this customs office twice.

The first version was not just thrown away; thus it could serve as a guinea pig (sort of) for desig­ning the tri-partite roof.

Tell you something (shshshhhh – don’t retell ! ): I have difficulties with three-dimensional imagi­ning. Thus I could do the design either the old-school way at the drawing table (forgotten de­cades ago – doh!) or by – well – mocking the roof up via guinea-pig-method.

As you can see, the difficult part is the trapezoid middle part:

post-12822-0-94841500-1427309612.jpg

post-12822-0-36973000-1427309641.jpg        

post-12822-0-64100200-1427309672.jpg

Unfortunately I missed to photograph this office with the final roof in innocent mode – i.e. unpainted. But I think, the weathered version will do:

post-12822-0-12666400-1427309710_thumb.jpg

This is not card, but styrene (or other plastic stuff – don’t know) to give the roof some surface relief. Here with a wash of anthracite acryl paint. And the gaps between the three parts covered with aluminum stripes.

Should I add a chimney – or two? At least gutters and downpipes are missing (and postponed – want to do some running instead of glueing, you understand…? ).

Critisism & encouragement appreciated!

Armin

• 2 weeks later...

My pet hate is Glueing gutters to roofs… But now I found a way to secure them whilst the glue is curing: add a stack of coins. They are heavy (but not too heavy) and can be arran­ged so that they match the profile – and thus keep the volatile gutters in place:

post-12822-0-48493400-1429120385_thumb.jpg

Then there came a few more details: a wall crane at the little factory:

post-12822-0-35089200-1429120490_thumb.jpg

Plus a couple vents on the roof:

post-12822-0-14919600-1429120532_thumb.jpg

To close now this customs office chapter:

What remained was the transformer visible in this photo. I saw a small boiler house to hide the blue box and the leads to(230V) / from(12V) it.

It was easy to make: just a 6.5 x 6.5 x 5 cm box bodged together and covered with some brick paper I had at hand.
Then a “roof” made of card covered with something representing dirty plate.

Here it is – already mocked up with my trusty felt pen as its chimney:

post-12822-0-82769200-1429120652.jpg

The same pen then was used as core when I rolled some brown paper to make a cylin­der. This again covered with brick paper and nicely sooted looks this way (etched brass ladder was already ordered):

post-12822-0-89033200-1429121015_thumb.jpg

Provisionally put at its place the group gives this picture (photo obviously before the detailing shown above):

post-12822-0-23488900-1429121068_thumb.jpg

And the chimney must have a ladder for maintaining (said the Good Lady – and we see it as my birthday gift…):

post-12822-0-69889900-1429121110_thumb.jpg

(Due to a sloppy postman I got this little etched gem not before yesterday…)

Not to forget the doors at the customs office – freshly painted in a nice blue:

post-12822-0-67984000-1429121181_thumb.jpg

Now all together:

post-12822-0-88836000-1429121226_thumb.jpg

Anything missing? Well – the track to the right leading to the fiddle stick should still be hidden behind something. I fancy a turret for harbour officials overlooking the quay – not so big, but distinctive. We’ll see…

Your comments and advice are welcome!

Now back to the layout itself !

Armin

• 4 months later...

Time for some updates, me thinks ( haven't been idle, just a bit sloppy…).

Nice doors there (in my last post), aren’t they? Unfortunately I had to learn that 0.8mm ( 32thou ) balsa (without any backing) is much too weak to withstand the curious fingers of a 4-year old grandson…
(Well, I still like this balsa stuff since it is so well suited to scoring boards and then to clad walls.)

So I had to throw them out and search for something stronger. This I found in the form of 0.8mm bass wood – this time it was already scored to represent planks.

I decided to pop for stiffening bands ( without function, just for show ) and after painting the wooden sheets glued fine card strips on:

post-12822-0-34727100-1441657112_thumb.jpg

All right (don’t mind the color) ?  

Not at all!   :swoon:  :swoon: 

The right hand pair of wings do not fit. The strips must be assembled as can be seen in the other pair.

Solution: just turn one wing around.

Again not at all (uttering some words you should never use within earshot of children)!

Ever heard of rotational symmetry? Here we have it!

The strips must be mirrored. Here we are – after some scraping off and reglueing

post-12822-0-01899100-1441657188_thumb.jpg

Now this should be all right !

Watch this space, more to follow – this time soon   :good:  :good:

Armin

Factory – Southern Style

As already indicated in my build thread (Port Chambre), I tried some other structures to get more practice and some variation.

So I started a factory – this time I got the basic idea from an entry in Carl Arendt’s well known site. It is an assembly of three different parts: a delivery station with ramp, a workshop and a tower. All low relief = 3cm (less ramp).

As usual, I drafted the parts using the old Paint Shop Pro and with the help of some Sca­lescenes layers. No, I don’t copy them; I just use them to get the dimensions of win­dows and doors.

But in another respect I am happy that I do “Scalescening”: John’s instructions tell me how to proceed in order to make really robust structures (the other day I made an esca­pade: I bought two sets for US buildings (highly praised my some dumba**es) – got no more than stiff paper in ugly colors but without useful instructions; never again this product ! ).

Now here are the façades already with their cover layers:

post-12822-0-25679500-1442430108_thumb.jpg

That’s the backside, roof bases already attached – please note the horizontal spine: 3x8mm stripwood:

post-12822-0-76594800-1442430143_thumb.jpg

The viewing side:

post-12822-0-49868300-1442430173_thumb.jpg

This is just the beginning, there's much more to do: e.g. the tower, the corrugated roofs, ramp & awning ...

Will report soon about

Armin

Courths Veil: 

First: stunning work & especially helpful to we readers who do German (Ep-2) layouts.  The "Auhagen" improvements were especially informative.  So,...permit a general question from the USA.  I have managed (with the help of a German shop) to gather a good selection of the now out-of-business MZZ background sheets (industrial & urban).  In your opinion: (1) what is the best way to mount these sheets (glue to card, then attach to backdrop)??? and, more importantly, (2) is there a way to improve their "realism" z.B. using your "Auhagen" techniques?

Again, I have learned much from your posts on "Pappendeckel" building methods.  Keep posting.

George

North Carolina, USA

Many thanks for your comments, Britfarmer and George – much appreciated !

Now, George, this MZZ enterprise is new to me, never before heard about them. Therefore, I'm afraid, I doubt that I can offer any help to you.

I don't know which materials their backdrops are made of, how to treat or even to improve them.

BTW: MZZ apparently are not "out of business"; there still is their site active. I've seen that they offer a catalogue (item #16), that as they claim contains practical tips and hints how to use their products.

Might be worth a try…?

Regards

Armin

Archived