Can you identify any of these these Westerns?

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I've apportioned my Class 52 pictures into two Flikr set, those identified (some tentatively) http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/sets/72157637545399175/

and those unidentified http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/sets/72157637546452386/

I wonder if anyone here would be interested in putting names to some of the unidentified ones. Some are, I would imagine, pretty hopeless cases, but there are some some where the plates seem almost readable and perhaps to those of you with an encyclopedic knowledge of repaints, electrification flashes, ventilation cutouts, headboard brackets etc. they might be recognisable.

• 10 months later...

Just been looking at your unidentified Westerns

If the loco in terrible condition at Swindon has a numberplate higher up the bodyside than the nameplate, it is D1036.   Looks like it does.  (Apparently the higher plates were to do with experiments on pipework positions done at Crewe).   In "Farewell to the Westerns" (David & Charles 1975) there is a photo of 1036 at Laira 15/6/71 in terrible condition, with paint down to undercoat along most of the side especially above the nameplate.

looking at "Western Liveries" Laira repaint dates: they repainted five locos in April 1974!

April 74 Drump lane 2B10 - loco has headboard clips,

D1008 LA  repaint 10th April, D painted out, allocation sticker above number, silver footsteps

D1034 LA  repaint 17th April, D painted out, allocation sticker above number, silver footsteps

D1048 LA  repaint 17th April, D painted out, allocation sticker above number, blue footsteps

but not D1029 LA repaint 24 April, D painted out, allocation sticker above number, silver footsteps - it never had headboard clips

So it's either 1008 or 1034.   The electric warning flashes appear to be centred under the ends of the handrail (Crewe position). 1004-17 had them further down and further in from the bodyside (Swindon used several alignments)

So I'd go for D1034

April 74 Polperro tunnel - it's the fifth repaint of the month, which has a nose vent.

D1012 LA repaint 27 April, D painted out, allocation sticker above number, blue footsteps.

possibly could be D1056 repainted Feb 74 if it had had a very good clean, but with a roof as shiny as that, I'd go for 1012 (see how dirty 1015 gets after just a days railtour!)

April 74 the three at Penzance - the middle one has nose vent, and headboard clips, so 1012/1056/1071 A end (no headboard clips B end in blue)

Can't see the electrification flashes well enough (but they appear to be in Crewe position)

Hope this helps,

Paul

Archived