Rendered cottage with a tiled roof

• RMweb Premium

This is my entry for the competition. The cottage is intended for a 4mm scale layout and measures about 95 x 75 mm in plan and 95 mm high to the top of the gable ends.

The walls are card, covered with glue and sprinkled with sand and painted white. Tiles are cut from post card and coloured using a Colron wood dye 'Peruvian Mahogany'. Window frames from post card with cotton thread for glazing bars. Brick areas painted white are embossed styrene sheet, the lower courses are brick paper. The lean-to is card with postcard cladding and a roof from wet and dry abrasive paper. Doors are card, scribed vertically with Peco track pins as handles. Chimney is balsa wood, wrapped with brick paper and some card strips at the top to make the corbelling. Chimney pot is small dowel.

I copied the front of the building from a photograph in a book and made up the rest.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-11061800-1384281980.jpg

There are some more photographs of the model in the consolidated thread of competition entries.

(Edited on 27th January 2014 to remove duplicated photographs and add hyperlink)

A delightful little model I have to say Richard and seemingly using all the means methods and materials that I used when I first started out some 40 plus years ago and since nobody can possibly be as old as me I can only assume that you either read one of my early articles in the RM, or it's a matter of two great minds thinking alike - well yours anyway !

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Allan,

I was very much inspired by some articles you wrote in the RM in the mid to late 1970s. The bits I remember most were something about building layouts in a pig sty and ripping them up from time to time, individual roofing tiles, and Pyruma fire cement for stone work.  I made the cottage in the summer of 1978 after I finished my GCSE 'O' levels and was waiting for the results ... it has never been planted on a layout but seeing it sitting in a cabinet in my sitting room it seemed to be begging to go into the competition.

I still think the roof is the most important part of a model building, but nowadays I think I would go for etched brass or laser-cut card windows, even though the model would be less "mine".

- Richard.

Archived