Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

Its amazing the little things you pick up as you go along. Seeing pictures of the "3 to the sea" Rail Tour with the 3 20s and one riding considerably higher (118?) Than the others. Later read in a book on Tinsley depot that it had new springs fitted before the tour. Never in a million years would I have thought new springs woul create that much difference in ride height.

Regards M

• RMweb Premium

Fair point about the ride height variation, that does allow a little tolerance. That said, I do think that maintaining a consistent height helps with reliability, particularly as the fitting jig I use for my AJ couplings mounts on the buffers.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy New Year!

Little to report in terms of progress on the layout, but I do have a few alterations and improvements to make over the next couple of months. This will mainly involve adding the signal box to the front right corner of the layout.

The layout has one exhibition booking in 2019, at Bloxwich on 11th May, further details here:

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/18096-Bloxwich(StJohns)ModelRailwayClubExhibition

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, 26power said:

Self sown birch trees?

Too much acid rain around Bloxwich in the eighties; I'm surprised the grass is green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions.  If I decide against the signal box, then stacked Portakabins might well be the answer.  A couple of trees probably wouldn't go amiss either, bringing a bit more height to the scene.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

And the bad news... I'll be in attendance 'helping' to operate the layout.

Hopefully the addition of another "flat front, two windows" to the fleet won't cause too much confusion...

IMG_20190509_133650.jpg.2f006074977455a5e9741613f318188f.jpg

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Too much acid rain around Bloxwich in the eighties; I'm surprised the grass is green.

They don't need to be particularly healthy specimens!  Birch trees are essentially weeds, establish themselves everywhere!    Just thinking that might be something that would get established adjacent to the fenceline, where nobody thinks maintenance is their responsibility.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

And the bad news... I'll be in attendance 'helping' to operate the layout.

There y'go Mark, Chris can plop his grain store in the yard, instead of the portacabin.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Hopefully the addition of another "flat front, two windows" to the fleet won't cause too much confusion...

IMG_20190509_133650.jpg.2f006074977455a5e9741613f318188f.jpg

Can't fool me.

One has a flat front and two windows at both ends.

One has a flat front and two windows one end and a long nose on the other.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

There y'go Mark, Chris can plop his grain store in the yard, instead of the portacabin.

That's almost as big as Mark's layout, he needs something smaller. Perhaps the ballast bin would do...

rps20190426_155842.jpg.ccc85a8c6d0f5530b0aac9bc524ef124.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Maybe you should install the T gauge Pencarrow in the grain store?

Smashing idea. But then I'd have to model a model of the model to put in the model in the model grain store...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1