Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Mark, Have you checked out Richard / Mudmagnet's Acacia Ave?

image.png.b769c813f9e0bf4847156d8866d89768.png

Andy, yes and very nice it is too, I had considered something a bit like that.

Ideal scenario would be somewhere that I could run either my air braked freight stock or my parcels stock depending on what mood takes me - bit of a tall order!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Something to be getting on with while I consider the options - spot the difference:

20210314_175355.jpg.fde1b8bada99ab2460cdc87d78f728f7.jpg

More using up of things that I have in stock with these Lanarkshire Models bufferstops,  on the left the LMS/BR type for the end of the head shunt, which I'm assuming was once a through route that has been truncated.  On the right, a LNWR for siding 1, which is assumed to have been there for some time.

20210314_175305.jpg.e507b4d6a23b410834e11e3b0b79255f.jpg

A quick blast of primer from a rattle can and they're ready for painting/weathering. 

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Andy, yes and very nice it is too, I had considered something a bit like that.

Ideal scenario would be somewhere that I could run either my air braked freight stock or my parcels stock depending on what mood takes me - bit of a tall order!

Wagon maintenance depot converted from an old goods depot? So you parcels building can be disused or repurposed in to offices...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Wagon maintenance depot converted from an old goods depot? So you parcels building can be disused or repurposed in to offices...

Yes, that could work, I've also been thinking about removable buildings that could be swapped to suit.

Going back to the original Bloxwich theme, the goods shed from there might be an option, inconveniently hidden by trees in this view:

View from The Bridge

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Slightly better view of the goods shed here:

Bloxwich diversion

Alternatively,  the more open look I was thinking isn't a million miles away from the zinc smelter sidings on the other side of the Fryers Road crossing:

47791 3 9 03 10 (2)

(These two and the previous photo shared from Flickr,  click on the photo for further details.  I'm extremely grateful to the owners of these for sharing them).

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

The yard was particularly busy this lunchtime 

20210316_095546.jpg.b13a97cb2acb8a946c875d5dc57c4f18.jpg

Room for a fuel point somewhere?

20210316_124024.jpg.853c5b70caa872234fb1d306f15e93f8.jpg

Looking good Mark! The last photo look like Fryers Lane TMD! 

Really enjoying your progress, I think P4 is calling me as well. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Will

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Southwich said:

Looking good Mark! The last photo look like Fryers Lane TMD! 

Really enjoying your progress, I think P4 is calling me as well. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks Will.  Don't tell anyone, but It's a bit of a cheat; the 37/4 is on P4 wheels, but won't run satisfactorily until it gets the Penbits upgrade and the two 37/5s are on 00 wheels pulled out to EM.  I've been following you 37 detailing with interest as I need to get these done at some point, it seems a shame not to use them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Thanks Will.  Don't tell anyone, but It's a bit of a cheat; the 37/4 is on P4 wheels, but won't run satisfactorily until it gets the Penbits upgrade and the two 37/5s are on 00 wheels pulled out to EM.  I've been following you 37 detailing with interest as I need to get these done at some point, it seems a shame not to use them.

I won’t don’t worry! Thanks Mark that’s very kind. Next time there is a show on (hopefully not too far away now!) happy to bring 37114 for you to have a look at. The Penbits bogies are great, a real pleasure to put together.

The detailing is definitely worth it as well, it takes the Bachmann 37 from a good model to an excellent model IMO once the windscreens, roof grille and underframe has been sorted. For a modeller of your talent you won’t have any issues at all. There was an excellent article in MRJ from James Wells that’s been very inspirational on 37 detailing which I’ve been following.

Apologies for the hijack!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

What wheels have you used Mark?

My trick to get good running in P4 out of a Bachmann 37 (or for that matter any other all wheel drive model) is to adjust the wheel sizes, with Keen Maygib 14.5mm wheels on the outer two axles and a Branchlines 14mm diameter wheel on the centre.  I havent noticed any impact upon current collection (and the layout isnt big enough to see if it impacts haulage, but I know Phil Eames did the same on Calcutta so presumably it was ok).  Of course the Penbits route does give you much nicer brake gear as well as the springing.

37607 shows it up very clearly  as I havent painted the centre wheel yet, while 403/521/670/672 have all been converted following that approach. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/23006-1998-class-37s-a-summary/   Looking at the photos again does remind me that I need to get the fuel tanks and ride height sorted though!

Enjoying what you are doing with the extension, cant wait to see it come together.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

What wheels have you used Mark?

If I remember correctly it's sitting on a set of Gibson wheels.

I have thought about trying it with 14.5mm outer and14mm centre wheels, but I'm in no rush so I'll probably wait until I get around to assembling the Penbits bogies that I have for them.  Having done a 47 with sprung bogies (in EM, for Black Country Blues), I'm convinced it's worth the effort. I'll get around to doing them at some point (which reminds me, a need to order a set of bogies for a 40).

• RMweb Premium

My first job was working in a warehouse, initially picking orders and loading multi-drop home delivery lorries.  After what seemed like ages (but in hindsight was a relatively short time) I got trained to drive reach and counterbalance forklift trucks.  I don't mind admitting,  this happened to me on more than one occasion...

20210323_175220.jpg.f0fdc581cb192c61dc31e444d5214145.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

I don't mind admitting,  this happened to me on more than one occasion...

After passing a test I ripped a warehouse door off; I blame them for passing me.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

That's enough reminiscing about my misspent youth; it's back to the buffer stops for tonight's job.

20210323_205129.jpg.082d4de5c7dbe9c9e13411ed2442bc77.jpg

As I think I mentioned before, they are deliberately subtly different.   The LNWR one (closest) was painted with some Humbrol 173 (track colour), then given a light dusting with some rust red and dark grey powders.  It doesn't some clearly in the photo, but the powders have given it a bit of texture.   The BR one was painted with a mix of Humbrol 113 (rust) and 27003 (metal cote gunmetal).  I might give it a very light dust with some powders, will see how it looks once dry.

It's been ages since I've done any painting/weathering like this, quite enjoyed myself.  I took this photo of some scrap rail recently to help with getting the colours that I wanted.

20210217_090353.jpg.5842c242ce24d508b31c3bba675d6a5c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Now the paint has dried, a couple of photos in better light.

20210324_075951.jpg.1b69ae67b9d49fce56e26d91c1d7bf82.jpg20210324_080021.jpg.0d1eabe6ed76527aeecfea8adb39b7be.jpg

Still some work to do on the sleepers.  Overall I think the Metal Cote Gunmetal has worked well, although might benefit from a bit of light dry brushing with some rust.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...