DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

In O guage - I would like to vote for a good old DMU. In Blue/Green these cover an almost 50 year timescale so would bound to be popular on so many layouts - large and small. I would suggest a 101 MetCam or 105 Cravens. OK Skytrex made a sort of attempt? at a 101 & Brassworks made a more decent 101 RTR but this was basically a brass shell and not much more and was expensive to complete at £1000 or so - I'm sure yours would be much more sensibly priced! Heljan'sRailbus seems to be interesting a lot of people....also if you get the basics correct (which I'm sure you'll do) then this could probably lead to other similar(ish) designs in future.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave

Some 00 thoughts from me (speaking personally).

PCCS

Collett Dining Car (H38)

Bulleid 59ft Multi-door Stock

GN Quad-, GE Quad- and GE Quint-Art Stock (noting that GN Quads are 8-coach sets)

Freight

LMS 12-ton Vans (vertical plank, sliding door, eg Diag.1830)

GER 10-ton Goods/Meat/Banana Van (10ft 6in wheelbase)

SR 8-plank Open Wagon (DIag.1400)

BR 20-ton Coke Hopper (Diags.1/150, 1/151 and 1/152)

Steam Locos

Adams Radial

SR Z 0-8-0T

GER/LNER N7 0-6-2T

GNR J50 0-6-0T

Diesel

GWR Railcars (Angular style Twin Units, W35/36 & W37/38 – later W33/38)

Other

Cowans Sheldon Breakdown Crane.

Brian

well you cant beat a good bit of frothing so here goes and theres no harm in a bit of self-promotion if the end result makes people happy.......sorry i cant limit it to 00 or N as I havent made my mind up yet which gauge to go for with the new layout but I am currently a 00 man;-

Mk3 coach family (too big a project perhaps?) to Bachmann Blue Pullman standards (OO) especially as you probably already have a wealth of knowledge lodged in your head on the subject being an ex-Dapol man :)  Completely understand if you are unable to confirm or deny if these are already in your previous employers plans to blow them up from N gauge thus can be scratched from my list here.

What about a deal with Heljan to use their Class 86 chassis and you knock out a belting redesigned bodyshell?  Lots of potential here but its so easy to roll that idea off the tongue but half the work would appear to be done for you.  I think most people would have total confidence in DJM to produce an 86 that is worthy (and coincidentally again you have experience of these locos from your Chirk days).

I agree with other posters in that it does seem the natural route would be to tackle one of numerous EMUs or DMUs.

Personally the Glasgow Blue train Class 303 would be great although I am aware a kit already exists for this and the areas are limited to Manchester and Glasgow but then look at Heljans recent announcement of it MetVic Sarah Siddons class - is geographical area that much of a consideration these days as the well begins to dry up?  Or.....an LMR AC EMU like the 304/305/310s which would be a good compliment to Bachmanns Cl 85.

+1 for Freightliner flats - its only a metter of time before somebody does them with 3 x 20ft boxes. 

BTW Dave - these suggestions/ideas/wishes - are you thinking about them for a specific "catalogue date" ie; 2015/2016 for any such good ideas or was you just putting the word out there for models that might not see the light of day until beyond 2016?

Edited by ThaneofFife

303's basically mirrored the 304 North West's diagrams. They were at both CE and LG Liverpool-Crewe being a regular for some ex ScR ones.

305 were drafted into the North West late in their careers spending the majority of their lives at Eastham?

310's are also available as a kit made by Southern Pride.

Personally the Glasgow Blue train Class 303 would be great although I am aware a kit already exists for this and the areas are limited to Manchester and Glasgow but then look at Heljans recent announcement of it MetVic Sarah Siddons class - is geographical area that much of a consideration these days as the well begins to dry up?  Or.....an LMR AC EMU like the 304/305/310s which would be a good compliment to Bachmanns Cl 85.

BTW Dave - these suggestions/ideas/wishes - are you thinking about them for a specific "catalogue date" ie; 2015/2016 for any such good ideas or was you just putting the word out there for models that might not see the light of day until beyond 2016?

There seem to be quite a few J15;s listed so I will add my like to this as well .i too have a local connection .i heard these  on the Fairlop loop laying in bed as kid  wondering why i could hear steam engines and also how did the coal wagons at Barkingside get there .In fact I would buy several in assorted liveries if one of them was GER .

• RMweb Premium

Boplate E

Tyne Dock iron ore wagon.  There are zillions of 9F's out there to pull them, and I don't have the skills or funds to build Bradwell ones.  So a Q7 would then be needed too, as earlier power, the O1 is available already,  DJM are doing the J94 for banking, oh an N10 would be nice to share banking turns too!

• RMweb Gold

I would go for a Western 15XX and a GW 'angular' type railcar  (and Brian Macdermott's 20 ton coke hopper).  The 15XX is the recognisably different (to non Western eyes) pannier and thus is potentially one of those 'it' type models that will appeal because of the 'it' factor and it probably doesn't yet appear in anyone's 'list of intentions' (unless you know better of course).  The 16XX would be a possible alternative - and a good one - but it doesn't have the 'difference factor' of the 15XX.

I'm still thinking small tank/industrial. There is a definite gap in OO and N, but I'm not convinced the same loco would fill both gaps-

In OO smaller industrials have more appeal- and 4-coupled better fit the space available to most.

In N you really need six-coupled for pickups with enough space to fit DCC. Against that you don't want to take sales away from your own J94.

In 7mm the Ixion Hudswell and Fowler diesel take up a lot of the slack.

Sticking with Hawthorn Leslie/RSH could I suggest the 14 inch 0-6-0 Hawthorn saddletank ("Stagshaw" at Tanfield is an example) would probably work in N and OO. Smaller than the J94 but with a decent-sized cab to hide decoders in.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello again, Dave

I forgot to add an ‘industrial’. I’m not in the market for one myself, but I suspect a lot of people are.

I would suggest the Peckett E Class 0-4-0T (GWR/BR locos 1141, 1143, 1145, 1150-52, previously owned by Swansea Harbour Trust and Powlesland & Mason). This would give numerous opportunities.

Although the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust’s Peckett, Kilmersdon, is not an E Class, the link below does show how attractive a model might look. (Historical note: the loco is in ‘faux’ SDJR livery.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35414756@N07/8681052837/

Brian

Hello.

Cant agree more, totally pointless apart from a PR aspect.

Hello Missy,

Putting aside the point that this is a fun exercise, if we were to dismiss a whole category for a thread, regardless of individual content, but on some unproven theological point then quickly most of the content of this Forum may be deleted without trace. I don't think that to be true, and perhaps on reflection, you might wish to save some postings.

I have no idea whether any of our domestic manufacturers turn to this Forum for inspiration, but off the cuff I have seen several suggestions on these pages that find their way into the shops. And whilst there is a faint chance that this might happen again, I happily post my letter to Santa online.

For this year, Dave, may I nominate r-t-p, 00, Pre-Grouping LSWR, switches and crossings. And before anyone thinks this unrealistic, I would like to say that Peco Streamline points, with their straight-switch geometry, are very nearly there.

My choice would be anything Great Eastern that could run with a BR symbol on its sides (most of those have already been mentioned so I won't repeat them here) and small industrials.

For me, however, it would be more important that any loco is either made easily convertible to EM or P4 or made with such tolerances in mind that chassis manufacturers such as Comet could produce kit chassis without having to carve away massive amounts of the body, and possibly even sell the bodies separately for those who want to and enjoy building chassis (Hornby and Bachman, please take note!).

Phil

Hi Dave

Well you seem to have opened a real can of worms here, we note you have undertaken quite a lot at the moment and I am sure in common with many others we are getting fed up with catalogue promises that fail to materialise. The recent polls should provide good market research and as an example of the promised items the one loco that I would like is the N gauge Schools of which I have heard nothing recently.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours

Actually Jack, that's not a bad idea.

Dave, why don't you kickstart RTR 3mm trains, a J94 and a Clayton to begin with and see where that takes you.

I am sure you'll get plenty if support off the 3mm society.

It was kinda tongue-in-cheek!  First, you'd have to settle the arguement over gauge ;)

Although the J94 & Clarton would make a lot of sense, maybe with a couple of wagons to go with them.

Sticking with Hawthorn Leslie/RSH could I suggest the 14 inch 0-6-0 Hawthorn saddletank ("Stagshaw" at Tanfield is an example) would probably work in N and OO. Smaller than the J94 but with a decent-sized cab to hide decoders in.

The only issue with the Centenary class is that only 23 examples were produced, and an excellent kit already exists. 

To my knowledge there is no 4mm 0-4-0 standard gauge Peckett available in any form!

Paul A. 

Hello DJM,

Hope everything is going well with the 3 locos announced so far and pre-orders / declarations of interest are satisfactory for the J94. 

My wish list  - All N gauge, all SR (leaving out models that might well be produced by other manufacturers at some point eg. C 0-6-0, Well Tank, E4 etc.)

Many of Kernow's later OO special commissions that you may have rights (?) to shrink to N:

O2

Thumper

Gate Stock

Also,

BR 71 / 74

2 BIL or 2 HAL

W 2-6-4T

T9

Z 0-8-0T (yes, I know I'm getting into the realms of fantasy here)

And on the subject of fantasy - Leader and 70

D1

E1

Good luck sifting through the 100s of responses you're getting and looking forward to seeing how the company and its products develop. 

msw2009

My wish list includes (in no particular order, all 4mm scale 00 gauge):

British RTR track (with as wide a variety of turn outs as is feasibly possible - basically what Peco offer in their Code 75 range plus maybe a curved diamond crossing, wider radii on the diamond slips and tandem 3 way points with both turn outs in the same direction)

Class 91 and Mk4 rake in Swallow

Class 90 in sector liveries

Class 87

Class 155 WYPTE and RR 

Class 156 RR

Class 365 NSE with panto 

As I went to university in Birmingham and frequently used the trains to get on campus and to go into town I would definitely purchase a 323 in its original livery even though it would be totally incorrect for the region I wish to model. Similarly I think the 442 Wessex is a great looking thing and would buy one for display purposes. 

Edited by sub39h
  • Like 1

Another vote for FFA/FGA container flats in OO plus some of the more common departmentals especially Salmon/Boplate/Tench and..........whatever happened to the Dapol Turbot?.

Slightly more niche would be a class 74 Electro Diesel and Class 07 shunter.

I would have thought we've reached a point too where a decent modern interpretation of the ARC/Yeoman type PGAs and PTAs would go down well and spawn a whole new generation of Mendip stone themed layouts. After all. those old Lima offerings can't last forever!

Not exactly a railway item as such but I think there's a huge gap out there for a dockyard crane to suit 60s to 80s period either ready built or in kit form. The only offering for years has been the old, ex Airfix kit and it's not the easiest of things to scratch build convincingly.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

Ha, best laugh ever this thread.

Like Dave's Santa Claus sort of.

I'd like a 1933 simplex industrial as used on the duke of sandringhams estate , in the 1933 brown, mind you not the 1932 brown or 1934 brown.....

You get my drift ? Some of these are a tad.......obscure.

I'd be amazed if even dave could make money on an N gauge , modern ecml electric unit. That's a niche within a niche, with a niche side salad

i missed the reference to RTR 3mm.  what a good thought.......with many of us limited spacewise in even smaller homes,  TT gauge would be a great compromise if we favoured 00 at heart but could only really make the most of that space sensibly in N gauge unless there was a 3rd way (short of scratch-building it all)