DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

This list just keeps growing and the more that is added to an already busy programme for DJM which in reality means some of the requests even if realistic could take years to appear!

Maybe Dave could provide a simple timeline of all the projects he is working on with projected dates for completion along with projects under consideration and projects that have been rejected. New items are then added as and when agreed by Dave. There will be limits here as business confidetiality is vital given the current flood of duplication of models which is occurring!

DJM, like any business has finite resources and a never ending want list can become unrealistic and impossible to achieve.

XF

Personally I like to read other people's thoughts and ideas, even if frequently they have me quietly shaking my head in disagreement!

That said, I suspect with the J94 (00) a few months away yet, delivery of the existing announcements (and commissions) will keep Dave busy for a while yet.

At the moment (and notwithstanding any previous "wishlisting" on my part) one of the most obvious for N, based on the apparent success of the Hornby 00 release must surely be the K1?

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1

This list just keeps growing and the more that is added to an already busy programme for DJM which in reality means some of the requests even if realistic could take years to appear!

Maybe Dave could provide a simple timeline of all the projects he is working on with projected dates for completion along with projects under consideration and projects that have been rejected. New items are then added as and when agreed by Dave. There will be limits here as business confidetiality is vital given the current flood of duplication of models which is occurring!

DJM, like any business has finite resources and a never ending want list can become unrealistic and impossible to achieve.

XF

Hang on a bit while I check.

Yep. Still the "Wish List" thread.

I suppose that what happens with a wish list, it keeps getting bigger and bigger then Dave looks to see what is most popular.

It not not a "Dave Just Go and Do It" thread.

Bob

Hi,

I just came across this thread and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the posts.

Yes, all 35 pages. That was yesterday. It's now tomorrow, about 3:30 in the morning.

In the understanding that this is a wish-list I'd like to offer a few thoughts.

That is, here are some things I wish were available, though I do realise 

that I'm only dreaming.

OO Gauge.  There's only one OO model that would tempt me.  I'm going to quote Dave's 

statement from Message #362 where he says :". . . there's a market for anything that is

better than a model of the same that's already out there."

Well, if any manufacturer were to produce an accurate and guaranteed free-running 

Class 37/4 then they can put me down for ten of them.

O Gauge.  Kudos to Dave for his planned O Gauge locos.

My own suggestions would be for a GWR 45xx or an SR Adam's Radial - because they

are relatively small and have outside cylinders with the appealing visible motion.

Other Scales.  I love the suggestions for American O Gauge (GP38-2) and more so the

pleas for TT Scale, British HO and Swiss NG,  but the one that appeals to me most

is the "perfect" scale - S Scale 1:64.

In the USA there is a crying need for an r-t-r ALCO RS-1 in S Scale but that's just my choice..

In terms of British outline I personally would support just about any proposed model.

If I were to win big-style on the National Lottery I would instantly seek a manufacturer

to quote me for any of the prototypes I've already mentioned above plus the following :

B1 - Baby Deltic - EM1 Class 76.

In the meantime I will keep on dreaming.  

Anyway, let me wish DJM every success. I hope Dave succeeds in his endeavour to

produce quality British outline models.

Compared to European and American outline it seems to me that current British models

are sadly lacking.  Yes, I know about the price difference, but that's something I for one

would willingly pay - for accurate models that look "right" and are guaranteed to run 

smoothly and quietly.

So, maybe my "wishes" are non-starters for now but - never say never.

All the best to DJM.

Pete M.

• RMweb Gold

True, but don't forget WD700 on the Longmoor Military Railway and the more recent imports into the UK.

And in UK terms at least there are a number of liveries to choose from: USATC black with both white and silver lettering, USATC grey, Longmoor blue as WD700 and with the two names carried by the preserved 3278, Churnet Valley red, and the BR black livery briefly carried by 5820 on the Worth Valley last year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How about a LT&SR CLASS 79. original livery would stand the prity test easily. you could also have them in MR crimson along with LMS livery and to end up in br lined black. Also as preserve. They got around over there working lives. And a 4-4-2t not many of them in rtr. Out side cylinders. A lovely rounded cab profile.

Must be a good bet with all this in there favour.

• RMweb Gold

My interests are primarily (but not exclusively) BR Southern Region c1960 and my own top choices would be the Q, U, W and H16 (not necessarily in that order).

I'd also go for the much-mentioned Johnson 0-4-4T and, given the comments about anything that can be done better than what's gone before being fair game, models of the Terrier, GW Large Prairie and Dean Goods to modern standards would also have me reaching for the plastic!

John

Edit: Just to make it clear that I don't have it in for Hornby, a Lord Nelson, too.   

Edited by Dunsignalling

My ultimate 'wishlist' would include -

Bulleid 4 car suburban electric (4Sub or 4EPB)

SE&CR 'H' 0-4-4T

SR D1/E1 4-4-0

SR U1 2-6-0

SR Merchant Navy 1949 -1952 air smoothed in BR blue

SR Maunsell 'Thanet' coaches

LC&DR

• Like 4

I'm going to add a mundane wish list-

That plenty of people put their hands into their wallets early for Beatties, O2s and J94s to help get the Q6/N-gauge J94/Clayton/both Hudswells out quicker....

That way we all get nearer to achieving our wishlists.

Les

(with 8 locos now on preorder- 6 assorted N and a OO J94 at Sherwood Models and a Hattons special)

• Like 1

Hello Dave.  Thanks for giving us this opportunity to wishlist.

I've noticed that everybody's asking for rolling stock of some sort.  Well, in the wods of the Spice Girls, "what I really, really want" is some decent 00 track, rather than rebadged H0.  Something akin to SMP scaleway flexitrack, with say some 3' radius points and crossovers to suit.  Closer track centres (say EM standards) and points to a high standard of realism, so more like Tilig than PECO.

I'm sure that a man of your perspicacity can oblige.

Cheers,

Bob.

Whenever this subject is mentioned, the balloon goes up, but to produce something is the only way to resolve the issue. I would ask, as Phatbob has done, for one LH and one RH point matching SMP flexi track, but not 3' radius, as their plastic based point kit already uses this figure, but perhaps something nearer 4'6" or 5' radius, with slight flexibility like a Tillig point. If they attract sufficient sales, the range could be expanded. If they do not attract sales, then those who have asked for it for all these years could accept that it's a loser.

It needs someone like Dave to start the ball rolling. If it was a success, I wonder how quickly the Peco range would appear?

Whenever this subject is mentioned, the balloon goes up, but to produce something is the only way to resolve the issue. I would ask, as Phatbob has done, for one LH and one RH point matching SMP flexi track, but not 3' radius, as their plastic based point kit already uses this figure, but perhaps something nearer 4'6" or 5' radius, with slight flexibility like a Tillig point. If they attract sufficient sales, the range could be expanded. If they do not attract sales, then those who have asked for it for all these years could accept that it's a loser.

It needs someone like Dave to start the ball rolling. If it was a success, I wonder how quickly the Peco range would appear?

What a fantastic idea.

I've posted on this subject in the past and was lambasted by the masses but that was the suggestion that a complete range was required.

This suggestion must be worth consideration. A pair of points to match already available track (SMP or C&L).

How many would be prepared to place orders in  advance to fund the project so no risk to Dave?

Could Dave give an indicative cost so we can assess any benefit over the option of getting the likes of Marcway to build them out of PCB.

It's got to be worth consideration. 

Bob

I don't know if this request has already been posted but there's been some discussion in this thread; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95561-4mm-industrial-dream-scene-just-imagine/about the need for small industrial engines. In that spirit I'd like to propose a 14" Barclay 0-4-0T. They saw wide use in industry and the NCB, came in a variety of liveries and, best of all, preserved examples are available for scanning.

Cheers,

David

What a fantastic idea.

I've posted on this subject in the past and was lambasted by the masses but that was the suggestion that a complete range was required.

This suggestion must be worth consideration. A pair of points to match already available track (SMP or C&L).

How many would be prepared to place orders in  advance to fund the project so no risk to Dave?

Could Dave give an indicative cost so we can assess any benefit over the option of getting the likes of Marcway to build them out of PCB.

It's got to be worth consideration. 

Bob

Dave has already said that he is concentrating on locos for the present as this is the most likely way of getting sufficient turnover to establish DJM as a viable concern.

If you look through the extensive exchanges in the dedicated thread on better 00 track, under smaller suppliers, you will find all the reasons why this would be a non-starter for an as yet small concern.

Don't get me wrong, l would like to see decent 00 rtr track as much as the next modeller with little spare time, but l can't see it appearing anytime soon.

The major problem as l see it is that as soon as anyone else appears to be making a successful attempt Peco will roll out an improved product, and with their stranglehold on the market doom the newcomers to failure.

Dave has already said that he is concentrating on locos for the present as this is the most likely way of getting sufficient turnover to establish DJM as a viable concern.

If you look through the extensive exchanges in the dedicated thread on better 00 track, under smaller suppliers, you will find all the reasons why this would be a non-starter for an as yet small concern.

Don't get me wrong, l would like to see decent 00 rtr track as much as the next modeller with little spare time, but l can't see it appearing anytime soon.

The major problem as l see it is that as soon as anyone else appears to be making a successful attempt Peco will roll out an improved product, and with their stranglehold on the market doom the newcomers to failure.

Maybe this might be something for pendolino project guys to think about?

I'm too small for this thinking I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Maybe this might be something for pendolino project guys to think about?

I'm too small for this thinking I'm afraid.

Dave,

Thank you very much for a clear, definitive and rapid response; it is much appreciated.

I had to try!

Dave, have you thought about jumping on the recent move for RTR 009?  Everything so far has been Lynton and Barnstable, so why not release a George England and some FR bogie coaches, or a Kerr-Stuart 'Tattoo' and some prototypically generic opens?

• RMweb Gold

Dave, have you thought about jumping on the recent move for RTR 009?  Everything so far has been Lynton and Barnstable, so why not release a George England and some FR bogie coaches, or a Kerr-Stuart 'Tattoo' and some prototypically generic opens?

and the Peco stuff seems to be terribly expensive.