DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Hi Mike,

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure what the logistics would be, let alone the feasibility of a third party getting between the 2.

I can and will made contact and see if it is possible.

Cheers

Dave

Dave - I know you must be pretty busy at the mo, with several of your products hitting these shores, but I just wondered if you have had time to raise the possibility with either party and what initial reaction you have had?

Charlie Petty's 2HAP kits will be in storage until next year, due to a fire (and not at all clear that he will continue them), Replica Railway's motorised 57ft chassis to suit same has been unavailable for some time and I have had no luck trying to get answers from BP or Southern Pride, for their versions, so the market seems open. I built a DCK kit which was fine until I tried to paint it Blue/Grey, when it all went badly wrong.....my fault but "a man's gotta know his limitations" (copyright nineteen seventy something, Eastwood C.).

Thanks, Mike

Since Rapido is now making British OO how about we see some Canadian HO from DJ Models! A correct model of the good old fashion ubiquitous GP38-2 with standard cab and Canadian features would be good!

For OO, how about a CR 812 0-6-0 and a SECR P 0-6-0T. Both of which could carry very attractive (personal opinion) pre-grouping liveries which fall into the "ooh shiny..." category. Lastly, since there's not enough Great Western prototypes on the market right now (tongue-in-cheek!) an update on the 78xx Manor 4-6-0. I was going to originally suggest for a 14xx update but you've already got that covered!

Since Rapido is now making British OO how about we see some Canadian HO from DJ Models! A correct model of the good old fashion ubiquitous GP38-2 with standard cab and Canadian features would be good!

For OO, how about a CR 812 0-6-0 and a SECR P 0-6-0T. Both of which could carry very attractive (personal opinion) pre-grouping liveries which fall into the "ooh shiny..." category. Lastly, since there's not enough Great Western prototypes on the market right now (tongue-in-cheek!) an update on the 78xx Manor 4-6-0. I was going to originally suggest for a 14xx update but you've already got that covered!

It's been explained a lot of times that Bachmann are doing the P Class for Model Rail when the SR USA Tank is finished.

• RMweb Gold

It's been explained a lot of times that Bachmann are doing the P Class for Model Rail when the SR USA Tank is finished.

In that case, instead of the P class, how about an H 0-4-4T in the same very attractive pre-grouping livery?

• 2 months later...

Thinking about Dave and 0-6-0 tanks.

Anyone for a matchbox?

Consett ironworks had quite a lot of these, some of which passed to the NCB.  Number 41 pictured here is now on the Tanfield Railway on loan from the Tyneside railway.

post-13358-0-21558200-1434483392_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the GWR had one of the class, taken over from the Cardiff Railway in 1922 and given number 693. It lasted to 1925.  However it had the older type of pannier tank with a curved top, shared with the first three Consett ones.  It was a stock Kitson design so there must have been others I've not found...

Les

• Like 3

Thinking about Dave and 0-6-0 tanks.

Anyone for a matchbox?

Consett ironworks had quite a lot of these, some of which passed to the NCB. Number 41 pictured here is now on the Tanfield Railway on loan from the Tyneside railway.

attachicon.gif41 stored 1971.jpg

Oh, and the GWR had one of the class, taken over from the Cardiff Railway in 1922 and given number 693. It lasted to 1925. However it had the older type of pannier tank with a curved top, shared with the first three Consett ones. It was a stock Kitson design so there must have been others I've not found...

Les

It will be good to see it this weekend at Tanfields legend of industry! Edited by DLPG

• RMweb Gold

Apologise why would they do that! They will just move on to the next model tp moan about.

All I can say is the j94 looks great I would like to say I will be getting one but I have the Hornby one and to be honest I have no use for it. I know it's Austerity and not a j94 but I can't spell Austerity! :)

My suggestion would be for a GWR saddle tank.

Many of these were built prior to the introduction/conversion of pannier tanks, and a few of them even survived into BR days.

1925 and 2007 of the 1901 class were still saddle tanks when they were based at Didcot prior to withdrawal in the early '50s.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

nicely subtle that,  :locomotive:

Creeps up on you doesn't it......

S W Johnson.

• Like 1

517 0-4-2T, in all its main variants and liveries.   Indulge me, if you will, or ignore me if you prefer, if I give some reasons for this choice.  It is undeniably a very attractive locomotive. It spans the 1870s through to the 1930s.  They were plentiful, widespread, ubiquitous.  They saw enough variations, modifications and liveries to last a manufacturer, modeller or collector a lifetime.  Pre-Nationalisation, the 517, not the 4800/14XX was the quintessential small branch line locomotive. I look forward to the Hattons 4800/14XX, not just because of the quality we can expect, but because, finally, a pre-war version will be available. Nevertheless, right up to the mid-'30s, the 517 predominated.  Aside from a pair sent to Cornwall in the early '30s, the class was, I think I am right in saying, mainly conspicuous by its absence from the South West peninsular until the first one arrived for service on the Ashburton Branch in 1936.  Certainly, the 4800s were not typical, or widespread, or in such numbers at the time as one might assume. The classic, if not clichéd, GW branch terminus between the wars layout would be much more representative with a 517.  It is the 1950s, more than the '30s, when the 14XX and autocoach was the classic branch train.

I will risk a word concerning some of the reasons why a model of this class would be a departure, but, nevertheless deserves to be considered.  The intention is not to be polemical and I am really not up for a debate; if you don't want a 517, or more pre-grouping types, that's fine by me.

We have seen a wonderful expansion in Grouping and Pre-grouping models, BUT, so far they tend to represent one of two trends; either the aim is to satisfy the majority BR modeller and earlier livery options are a sort of bonus available where the tooling for the BR version permits, or, the model represents a preserved example, which, more often than not, will not represent early careers in service.  Now, I do not for a moment that there is anything wrong with that approach; it is commercially sound and has resulted in some wonderful models. I also appreciate that life is easier where there is something around to scan.

BUT.  Forgive me; no generation lasts forever.  When things move on from those who remember the late '50s and '60s, what will we model?  Will it only be Blue Diesels onward?  Will steam outline be confined to mainline specials and preserved lines?  The latter have not yet taken off to the extent one might expect given the ease with which RTR offerings allow preserved steam to be modelled.

If steam outline is to survive to be modelled by those who do not recall the steam age, might not an option be to encourage exploration of the rich (and very colourful) eras before Nationalisation?  This requires a manufacturer/commissioner to think beyond what has come before - attractive pre-grouping designs that saw long-lives across a whole system, but which didn't make it to the last 2 decades of steam and, hence, to a 'heritage' line.  The 517 fulfils this brief, with the added advantage that, as GWR branch line terminus models will probably always be with us, this will not be a model for which it will be hard to find a home.

post-25673-0-88507800-1434792497.jpg

post-25673-0-28835800-1434792507.jpg

post-25673-0-07428600-1434792521.jpg

post-25673-0-38855500-1434792529.jpg

post-25673-0-94072800-1434792535.jpg

post-25673-0-24912200-1434792544.jpg

post-25673-0-76337500-1434792551.jpg

• Like 2